New rifle in my future...What should I buy?

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

I am going into my third season of hunting and finally going to buy a rifle? ( Borrowed a rifle my first season, and used my bow during the second season.) I have no idea what to get. Based on all you guys knowledge. What would you all buy, and why? Thanks, Roy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently I have a Remington 700 .270. Sometime in the near future I plan on getting something different though, but it will also be a Remington 700 in either .308 or .300 Win Mag. It will also be in stainless with a synthetic stock, because my current one is not and I'm always worried about scratching it up in the thick brush that I have to walk through sometimes. Also the Ruger M77's are really good rifles. I have one of those in a .280 Rem that I love, but have never hunted with.

Like mentioned though, it also depends on what your hunting and the type of terrain you're hunting in.

Edited by MCSCOTT
Guest davidz71

One of my first deer rifles in the late 60's was a Ruger M77 in 7 mm Rem. mag. The 24 inch barrel kept hanging up on tree limbs and I was downloading the 140 gr. Nosler Partition bullet to 2900 fps. anyway. I sold it and bought a Remington 700 BDL in 280 (7mm Express Remington) in 1979 and have hunted with it in Texas as well as TN. I always keep my eye out for 280 ammo on shelves because you can't just walk into Walmart to buy it. I reload for it also and stock up on factory rounds just in case I need them. For that reason, if you do not reload, go to gun shows or order over the internet then I would stick with rounds such as 270 Winchester, 30-06 or even the 7mm-08. As I get older, almost 60 now, I'm thinking about picking up a 7mm-08 short action as a second deer rifle. I'll never sell the 280 because it does everything I need it to do on whitetail.

Guest walkingdeadman

I am thinking something in the 30-06 range. I dont know what. But from what I hear that would be my best all around gun. I have shot a 30-06 and a 270 Remington. I really like the 30-06 though.

.30-06 is really overkill for deer around here at the ranges you will be shooting at. unless you really just want to get one in that, and there is absolutely no problem with that :D

lever action, id go with a marlin 30-30. bolt action, Id like something around a .243, .270 or so. if you go single shot, you can get anything you want.

I would suggest whatever you get dont get an oddball cartridge. get something you can buy ammo for at walmart or your local pawnshop/hardware store

There ain't no such thing as over kill. But there are more effective calibers for the job. A 30-06 will allow you to hunt most anything in North America and is a good choice. After 40 years of deer hunting and killing a few hundred of them with about everything from a bow through a 45-70 my choice is a 25-06 with 117 gr Sierra bullets. 99% of the time they drop in their tracks and those that don't will not go very far.

There ain't no such thing as over kill. But there are more effective calibers for the job. A 30-06 will allow you to hunt most anything in North America and is a good choice.

I agree, if you a sure whitetail deer is your only game for the high powered rifle I would consider.270 in a decent bolt action, Rem 700 or similar. If you think you might hunt elk someday I would go with 30-06. I know lots of people who hunt with 7mm mag, .300win mag, and these do fine but can make a mess especially on the exit hole, if your not shooting 200yds. Others will disagree but I hunt with a savage 99e lever actions. It shoots .300savage which is pretty similar to a .270 but less powder and of course bigger bullet.

Nothing wrong with a 30-06. You'd likely not know the difference between it and a 270. Ammo for either is readily available anywhere that carries ammunition. Contrary to what many will tell you, there is very, VERY little difference in most of the common deer hunting chamberings. The truth is that some people aren't satisfied until they have the newest offering before all their buddies get one. As a quality deer rifle will last several generations, the offering of so many different cartridges is simply a marketing ploy to sell more rifles.

Guest musiccitymadman

I hunt Deer in tennessee with my longest open area shots being about 100 yrds with a marlin 30/30 equiped with a 3-9x32 scope. when I go out to South Dakota to hunt Deer and antilpoe I prefer my Rem 700 .308 and when I get the rare chance for an elk hunt I dig way back in the safe for my 8mm Mauser jmho

Guest 10mm4me

I like a good, bolt action 30-06 (Rem. 700, Savage 110, Weatherby Vangaurd, Ruger M77) all these can be found for under $600. I use 165gr Soft pt BT's and I have never had an exit hole on whitetail, but none have ever gone more than 5yds in any direction. 30-06 is what I would go with. There is plenty of cheap,good target ammo and a wide spectrum of hunting loads. I even coyote hunt with mine.

If I was to only own one rifle to hunt anything with, it would have to be a 30-06. Can hunt anything in North America with (based on bullet weight). Most likely you could go to "any where USA" and find ammo for 30-30 and 30-06. Just my opinion is all!

Guest walkingdeadman

Well I went with a Remington 700 SPS 30-06 bolt-action rifle. It came in a package deal. I got the rifle which has the Realtree Hardwood camo design and a Nikon ProStaff 9x40 scope. I am thinking I am gonna get another scope that has the matching camo design to put on the rifle. I know it sounds dumb, but I am all about the looks of my guns too. So far I love the gun. I plan to get out and shoot here in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the input guys!!

Well I went with a Remington 700 SPS 30-06 bolt-action rifle. It came in a package deal. I got the rifle which has the Realtree Hardwood camo design and a Nikon ProStaff 9x40 scope. I am thinking I am gonna get another scope that has the matching camo design to put on the rifle. I know it sounds dumb, but I am all about the looks of my guns too. So far I love the gun. I plan to get out and shoot here in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the input guys!!

Congrats good choice on caliber. I love my 30-06 it's been in the family for around 20 years. It's a Browning BAR 30-06.