Carry at University?

Guest RGL01

Guest RGL01

Does anyone know the specifics of the TN carry laws concerning carry on University campuses. I'll be up at LMU-DCOM next year and want to know what is and or is not permitted. Thanks.:leaving:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the specifics of the TN carry laws concerning carry on University campuses. I'll be up at LMU-DCOM next year and want to know what is and or is not permitted. Thanks.:leaving:

You are not permitted to carry on college campus. But don't worry it's a "gun free" zone so there won't be any need to carry. Criminals don't bring guns to those areas.

YouTube - Gun Free Zone - Get Yours Today!

Ridiculousness, campus is where I spend most of my time and the place where I am most likely to need to defend myself. This law is so counterproductive. I guess I'll have to just hope that if anything happens I'll be close enough to get some stabs in with my knife or far enough away that I can run and escape.

... I guess I'll have to just hope that if anything happens I'll be close enough to get some stabs in with my knife ...

While your risk of being charged if seen is likely much less, knives are just as illegal as guns as per the statute.

- OS

While your risk of being charged if seen is likely much less, knives are just as illegal as guns as per the statute.

- OS

Is there some gray area there with knives? I carry my blade in my right front pocket every day. I pass UTK LEO's and they have never said anything. I'm sure they haven't noticed though. I think the wording is "intent to go armed"

Is there some gray area there with knives? I carry my blade in my right front pocket every day. I pass UTK LEO's and they have never said anything. I'm sure they haven't noticed though. I think the wording is "intent to go armed"

Yep, "intent to go armed", as mentioned in the statute, seems quite gray to me in relation to a knife (actually in relation to a gun also).

And a 4" folder wouldn't be thought of the same in a grammar school, high school, or college, just because of the relative ages of the students.

The whole concept of "intent to go armed" is gray to me. Most here claim that as far a firearm, it's being loaded makes it "intent to go armed".

However, it's also illegal to carry an UNloaded handgun without permit, so I've not ever been completely satisfied with that definition.

So how does on carry an otherwise legal knife in two ways, one way "normally" and one way "with intent to go armed"?

- OS

Guest 270win

Are you a student up at this college? From what I understand, if you are not a student, you could have the handgun in your vehicle when on school property for a length of time as long as you don't have 'intent to go armed'. When I go to Univ of Memphis for stuff I unload my handgun BEFORE getting to the campus and put it in the trunk of my car. I don't get my handgun out of the trunk until after I get off campus parking lot to load it. From my reading, you're not supposed to 'handle' the firearm on school property...that's why i unload and put in trunk at a store parking lot.

Dropping off/picking up passengers you don't have to do that silliness...but I never do that when I go to Univ of Memphis. It's dumb...in an ideal world I could keep my gun on me like I do when I'm in Alabama at a college...oh well.

Now if you're a student in TN I think the law is worse than that...you might want to check...i don't think students can even generally have guns on campus legally period...unless for like a class..shooting team..hunter ed....hunting.

The whole concept of "intent to go armed" is gray to me. Most here claim that as far a firearm, it's being loaded makes it "intent to go armed".

However, it's also illegal to carry an UNloaded handgun without permit, so I've not ever been completely satisfied with that definition.

Incorrect. It's actually legal to carry an unloaded gun on you if there is no ammo within the "vicinity" of the gun (I am guessing on you if you are walking out in public) and the gun is carried openly.

"(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;"

I take that to mean that you can carry an unloaded gun in public if it's open in a holster or some other holder that's not concealing it.

But here's another monkey wrench in the mix... Since it says not concealed on or ABOUT the person. Does that mean you shouldn't have it in a bag next to you in your car/truck when going to the range? I would consider next to you on a seat in a gun bag or something else like it

"concealed about the person." Just goes to show you that the legal minds that came up with our laws shouldn't have graduated high school.

Matthew

Incorrect. It's actually legal to carry an unloaded gun on you if there is no ammo within the "vicinity" of the gun (I am guessing on you if you are walking out in public) and the gun is carried openly. ..

OK, I give you that.

As if that could do anything except cause one grief, especially carried in your hand.

Seems there was a recent big ado about doing just that over near Nashville.

- OS

I figured I'd chime in real quick. I spent a couple years with the Univ of Memphis Police before I got hired in Bartlett and can tell you that in my time there, the only person I ever charged with carrying a pocket knife (on school property) was in conjunction with an aggravated assault charge where the knife was the weapon. Keep in mind though, that I'm also the the kind of pro 2A officer who "informed" 3 or 4 students carrying on campus with a HCP versus arresting them. I tend to be a little lax on the laws that I think are unfair and put law-abiding citizens in harms way.

One consideration I would take (in the Memphis area anyway) is the knowledge of the LEOs. Many are not familiar with the laws they are supposed to inforce and may not read the law as black and white as they should. Not to mention those that just don't care. You don't know how many times I heard "he might beat the rap, but he can't beat the ride" - meaning the charge might not be good enough to hold up in court, but the defendant still gets a free ride to jail (not to mention the fun of trying to get your gun back out of Memphis's property room). It's a sad fact and many officers in many places would just as well be sending a monthly check to the Brady campaign because they don't think anyone should have a gun besides the police.

Nice link fallguy. I hadn't seen the AG opinion about off-duty LE carrying on Tennessee Board of Regents campuses. That is a nice opinion to read. When I worked for UMPD we had many off-duty officers who would come to the station to lock their guns up before going to class (auto burglaries were WAY too common to even dream of leaving a gun in your car). We've still got a way to go to get permit holders legal on campus, but it kinda goes back to the video posted previously about the glory of the all-powerful "gun free zone".

"Why do they call it 'common sense' if so many people don't have it."

Guest rockbottom12

RGL - what you doing @ DCOM? nursing, PA, or are you going to be a DO student? My Fiance is a DO student up there. Many of the students are pro-gun. A few professors are even into guns. From what i understand at least one prof ins involved with the area SWAT. Fiance and i both are HCP Holders.

Guest RGL01
RGL - what you doing @ DCOM? nursing, PA, or are you going to be a DO student? My Fiance is a DO student up there. Many of the students are pro-gun. A few professors are even into guns. From what i understand at least one prof ins involved with the area SWAT. Fiance and i both are HCP Holders.

DO. I think I successfully PM'd you. Let me know if it went through.

Edited by RGL01
Notice the date on this, do not know if it was updated after the TN Legislature changed the TCA on the "Any place that serves alcohol" law.

It shows the carry is illegal in places that serve alcohol because of the court's ruling and links to a thread discussing it.

• 1 year later...
Guest JustStoppingBy
Incorrect. It's actually legal to carry an unloaded gun on you if there is no ammo within the "vicinity" of the gun (I am guessing on you if you are walking out in public) and the gun is carried openly.

"(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;"

I take that to mean that you can carry an unloaded gun in public if it's open in a holster or some other holder that's not concealing it.

Matthew

You are correct about general areas, but this is referring specifically to a university, and according to § 39-17-1309:

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

(2) A violation of this subsection © is a Class B misdemeanor.

Basically, to avoid the misdemeanor, the gun must remain in the car, and you can't touch it. I'd also recommend that the gun be unloaded, because a loaded gun in a private vehicle might be considered "intent to go armed," which would then bump you up to the Class E felony.

It's the language in ©(1)© that still confuses me.

Is it saying that the exemption only applies to the driver?

Is it saying that the exemption only applies while the vehicle is being operated, so the exemption does not apply if the vehicle is exited?

Welcome to the wonderful world of crappy TN firearm laws.... Call your local Legislators and complain :P Why there isn't a clear exception for HCP holders in the law is beyond belief... for sure it doesn't meet the requirements of the TN Constitution.

I've never taken it to mean you must remain in your car, since it says control and not the driver and/or occupant. If you have the keys, you are in control of the car, just ask someone that has been convicted of DUI that wasn't even driving at the time...

So how does on carry an otherwise legal knife in two ways, one way "normally" and one way "with intent to go armed"?

- OS

Easy. I carry a pocket knife so I can open up boxes etc at work. Happens, oh at least twice a year :usa: If I carried a knife so that I would be able to defend myself if attacked, that would be intent to go armed.

And for the record, I am only partially kidding. I do indeed use my knife to cut the straps on boxes of paper, and when we get in new server racks etc, gets old breaking down all the boxes, packing material etc by hand.