AR Scope Mount Ideas

Garufa

So I've decided the only way to appreciate my AR is to mount a scope and see what kind of accuracy the thing is capable of. The gun and scope I've got are irrelevant, other than it's an A3 upper.

Should I get some kind of mount that attaches to the detachable carry handle so I can also use the iron sights or a riser block in place of the handle to get the scope up to a usable level?

Looking for ideas, opinions and brands to look for. Let's hear what I need! :rolleyes:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Budget? I only ask because I'm going to say LaRue every time, unless you get sticker shock easily. Their QD mounts with built-in rings are the best in the business hands down, but they're not cheap.

I already have rings, they came with the $53 scope. Maybe that is an indication of budget for this project. :P

Guest RangeMstr

You can pick up a Millet DMS and an entry level riser mount from Midway for around $200. If you want to just bite the bullet and get it over with, I would recommend ARMS "Mini-Risers", (the 1 3/4 ince 3 slot version) and ARMS #22 High rings with the Millet DMS.

Looking for ideas, opinions and brands to look for. Let's hear what I need!

This is the best deal I have found for mounting a scope on an AR. I get them from J&T at the local gun shows. (I got one at the Nashville show and one at the Murfreesboro show). They are well made, rock solid, and cost less than most other one piece mounts. ($50 OTD)

Sorry for the lousy pics, but the cell phone was laying here. :lol:

JTmount001.jpg

JTmount002.jpg

So I've decided the only way to appreciate my AR is to mount a scope and see what kind of accuracy the thing is capable of. The gun and scope I've got are irrelevant, other than it's an A3 upper.

Should I get some kind of mount that attaches to the detachable carry handle so I can also use the iron sights or a riser block in place of the handle to get the scope up to a usable level?

Looking for ideas, opinions and brands to look for. Let's hear what I need! :rolleyes:

I just put a set of larue Quick Detach mounts on my SIG556 DMR. They are guaranteed to return to zero. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but the quality seems there.

Guest ORgunner
I know NCStar is not a "premium" brand of accessories, but I have two of their quick-release picatinny riser mounts for my AR optics, and I love them. The quick release is great for switching out scope for holo or iron sights. The mount is also adjustable so you can get a perfectly snug fit.

Amazon.com: NcStar Quick Release Rifle Mount: Sports & Outdoors

Jake how solid are those mounts? I really like the way u can switch them out. Do they keep their zero when you put them back on?

Jake how solid are those mounts? I really like the way u can switch them out. Do they keep their zero when you put them back on?

I tested mine by shooting 30 rounds with scope, switching to holo, firing 30 more rounds, then reattaching scope and firing 30 more. Came right back to zero for me. I will say that there is a set screw for adjusting the clamp for the rifle's picatinny rail that, if loosened, would affect your RTZ. You'll want to play with it to get it at the proper tension for your upper. Mine is perfect tuned so that I can pop off my scope and switch to my holo without changing my stance or firing hand grip. Once it's on, it's on!

Guest Linoge

As long as you are not looking for QD functionality, I have been quite happy with my Burris P.E.P.R. mount, holding a Millett DMS scope. Cheap, without being that-way-cheap. And it seems to be able to hold on to the scope despite me doing my damned best to knock things loose, so I cannot complain.

It does not hold zero between mounting, removing, and remounting, though, so keep that in mind.

If you want QD, I would recommend La Rue, but that is just me :D.