anyone been to Arizona?

I am leaving for AZ Wednesday morning, coming back Monday. I have been there two other times.

Any of you been there and have any advice on things to do or places to see?

I went to Tombstone last year, not so impressed. I want to go back as I think I must have missed the big attraction there or something.

Supposed to go gun shopping (for my son) and shooting Thursday. Then going to Goodyear Friday to see a Reds baseball game. Other than that there are no iron clad plans. Basically I am wide open Saturday and Sunday.

Anyone been to both Monument Valley/4 Corners and the Grand Canyon?

Which is better, won't be time for both.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the Grand Canyon. You won't regret it.

+1

I highly suggest the Grand Canyon. However, I will say it is worth the money to go on one of the tours that many people offer. Yes it's around $100 a person but they pay for your park entry fee and feed you lunch. Plus our guide knew which lookout points were the busiest and which ones weren't depending on the time of day so we NEVER had to wait to get to the edge and always parked in one of the adjacent lots, NOT a mile down the road. Trust me, these facts alone made it well worth our money. Oh and they took us to the Painted Desert too on the way back. That's a nice place to visit too. Just take a camera!

If you are going to be close to Scottsdale, Go and check out the Gun Club Home

^^^^I was going to say this. Very cool store to check out. Not many (if any) gun stores like it. I have been to Monument Valley, 4 corners, and the Grand Canyon. I personally liked Monument Valley better, very beautiful country out there. But if you havent been to the Grand Canyon I would probably go there first. Its one of those things you have to see before you die kinda thing. I would put 4 corners a distant third. Its just one of those things I did just to say I did it. Its just a brass plate that you stand on and be in all 4 states. Hope you have a good trip and take some pictures for us.

I lived in AZ for 5 years... I don't miss it... but, if you have the time check out the petrefied forest, meteor crater, sunset crater and of course the grand canyon. Also, if you make it out east of Phoenix, there's an awesome restaraunt at the base of the superstition mountains called the Mining Camp... it's really really good.

We went to Vegas last year and drove from there to Williams AZ. They have a train that goes to the Grand Canyon. My boss did it a couple of years earlier and recommended it to us and we have recommended it to others. Don't recall the cost but it, to us, was worth it. Regardless of how you get there the canyon is worth seeing.

Guest ogreabroad

Check out Zion National Park as well... Ive been to quite a few of the national parks, and Zion ranks right up there with the best!

In addition to what everyone else has suggested, Old Tuscon is pretty neat if you like old westerns. You will see a lot of familiar buildings and mountains. You are right about Tombstone. It is a little disappointing and hokey. The only thing I thought was pretty cool was the Birdcage Theater. Going in the basement that hadn't been touched for all those years was really interesting.

Guest clsutton21

Grand canyon! Closest place to stay is Flagstaff I think.

2q3qlar.jpg

2ppc8jr.jpg

dcypvo.jpg

Hoover Dam is pretty neat if you're over that way.

dlmfq1.jpg

Check out the guy in the pic to see how large it actually is

iyd2th.jpg

lots of great ideas, thanks. Dunno what they are planning now. The wife had her knee scoped this past Wednesday and anything involving much walking it out.

As long as we get to do the gun shopping and shooting Thursday I am good with whatever else happens. ( hen free day Thursday!)

Here is where we are shooting at. Rio Salado Sportsmans Club

We shot there last year, coolest range I have ever been to. Scottsdale is not that far away, if there is time I will suggest running up to their gun club.

Grand Canyon is a MUST!

Sedona is awesome for the Red Rock formations.

Just north of Sedona is Oak Creek Canyon and that will take you towards Flagstaff.

There is a little mining town named Jerome that is west of Sedona and Cottonwood. It's a cool place on the side of one of the mountains.

On the east end of the GC is a small town called Cameron that has an awesome restaurant at The Trading Post.

Have fun. I can't wait until I get there again.

Edited by Volzfan

Sedona is cool, there is no better scenery anywhere I have ever been. Drove down through Oak Creek Canyon 22 years ago, drove up through it last year. Been to Jerome 22 years ago. There was a kind of cool tourist trap mine on top of a mountain there I remember it being a scary drive back down the mountain, gravel road, steep drop offs and no rails. Been to Winslow, Meteor Crater, Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest. I would like to go through the forest again if for no other reason than to see how looted is has gotten in the last 22 years.

I love to watch Angel and the Badman when it is on TV, it was filmed near Sedona and I recognize the scenery in the film.

if the whole trip was mine to plan I would spend it driving through every inch of the state

Guest redbarron06

If you dont go and see the Grand Canyon you will be cheating yourself. AWSOME is the only word that can describe it.

if you are between Phoenix and Tucson might thing about climbing Picacio (sp?) Peak. Take water and plan on it taking a few hours. Very rewarding climb.

Me and my wife flew to AZ in 2008 and spent about 12 days just driving around the State and seeing the sights. It sounds like you've pretty much seen most of what we got to see on our trip.

I agree with everyone about the Grand Canyon. We've been to both the South Rim and North Rim and they are both spectacular in their own way.

It doesn't sound like you have a lot of time but if you are in the northern area, don't miss Page, AZ. That was a totally unexpected highlight of our trip. There you will see Horshoe Bend which is one of the most awsome sights you'll ever see - standing on a 1300 foot cliff, looking down at the Colorado River. Antelope Canyon, Glen Canyon Dam, and a float down the River is also terrific. And as was mentioned, Zion National Park (just over the border in Utah) is another must see before you die.

On the other hand, I just realized its winter out there too. I don't know how cold it gets in a lot of those areas this time of year, but I know it gets pretty cold at times. A lot of what you could normally do in warm weather may not work right now. Just have to wait and see.

Good luck and be safe.

just realized its winter out there too. I don't know how cold it gets in a lot of those areas this time of year, but I know it gets pretty cold at times.

highs expected in Flagstaff are in the 60's, lows in the 30's. And they have snow on the mountains yet. Four Corners is 60's and 20's. I am not taking winter clothes so I am not sure what we will do about going north. Maybe I can go shooting more than one day, LOL. It will be in the 80's in Phoenix and Queen Creek.

I would like to go to the Birdcage, but I am not sure Tombstone will be doable this time out.

I wouuld actually like to spend a night there and take a Haunted Tour.

back in glorious east TN. Good to be home.

Never made it north, south or west of the Phoenix metro area. Did all of our sight seeing out in the Tonto National Forest and around the Superstition Mountains.

When I get a chance I will post up some pics of the scenery.

Going to Rio Salada to shoot was the highlight of the trip for me. I would have gone and done that every day if I had been allowed to.