FedEx Vs. UPS

Guest SUNTZU

Guest SUNTZU

FedEx isn't unionized while UPS is. UPS has two times the labor costs so FedEx is performing better. In 1993, UPS tried to get reclassified to avoid unionization, which FedEx supported, but the endeavor failed. In order to compete, UPS and the Teamsters are supporting legislation that will in effect unionize FedEx. Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm.

Video explanation (Two minutes, Turkish)

Reason.tv: UPS vs. FEDEX?Ultimate Whiteboard Remix - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Background information...Using Unions As Weapons

Using Unions As Weapons - Reason Magazine

Yay, UNIONS!!!! :popcorn:

Meanwhile, the Obama administration is eliminating reporting requirements that forced some transparency on unions—notably the LM-30 Rule, which required union officials to report conflicts of interest, and the LM-2 rule, which required disclosure of financial information and information about labor leaders’ compensation. And the president has pushed through labor-friendly takeovers of Michigan’s auto industry.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

If given the choice when ordering something I will pick FedEx and even pay a bit more every time. I cringe every time UPS is the only option.

I hate their knock and run idea of delivering stuff and have had many occasions of stuff that did not belong to me be left at the door. Stuff that had address's on it that were not even close to me and in one case in another city!

And then they try and tell me to bring it back to them???

Also many occasions of waiting forever for something only to be told that it was already delivered by UPS when in fact it was not. Or maybe it was and was stolen off the porch as they dont even make sure anyone is home.

S&W had to send three pistol cases to me before I finally got one !

Also the UPS truck will stop in the road in front of the house which is a very busy road and do their knock and run deal while when stuff comes by FedEx they always pull into the drive no matter how hard it is to get back out.

I hope that UPS and their goobbermint cronies fail at what they are trying to do to FedEx.......doubtful though as these folks seem to do just what they please anymore.

The one time I was a member of a union I was threatened with being fired for working too hard......they only wanted me to complete as much work as I could actually do by lunchtime and no more......What a Joke.

Guest CrazyLincoln

I remember one time I had a really important package shipped UPS. I was only in town for 3 days, so I had it overnighted. The first and second day, they delivered to the wrong address, in the wrong zip code. The third day I called UPS at noon since they told me to wait until then the previous day. They said I could pick up my package a some facility an hour away. By one o'clock I was on my way there. I got there at 2:15pm only for the office to be closed and the hours to be posted as such:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8a-10a, 12p-2p

Tuesday, Thursday, Sat-Sun, Closed.

:koolaid:

I have used both a lot, always between business addresses. Fedex may be slightly better (very slightly) than UPS at deliveing on time and in the right place. The main difference is that UPS sometimes beats the crap out of the boxes, and Fedex does not. I'm talking smashed corners and/or holes.

99% of my shipping is electronics. My rule is that if it's worth more than $20k, it goes Fedex.

Fedex IMHO is a well run company. If they unionize, it will most likely change their quality of service or price.

Guest cheez

The company I work for ships between 20 and 50 packages per day every day via UPS. We ship all over the US and Canada. We have less than one tenth of one percent problems with UPS in any given year. We also recieve a couple dozen packages via UPS every day as well with little to no problems there either. Fed_Ex is good also but their rates are about 20% higher than UPS for us.

Guest jackdm3

I worked with a lady. Scratch that. A woman, who had all sorts of stuff sent to her house ONLY with UPS. See where I'm going? That ring-and-leave procedure netted her closets full of stuff that she claimed never got to her porch because she was "away."

The only good things I have to say about UPS are:

1) The local drivers and clerk at the hub are very nice and helpful.

2) They are not DHL

But, my FedEx driver got my cell number, and if I am not home he will call and see if I am at work, and bring it to me there, since it's on his route. Ya don't get much better than that...

If the dollar is the only thing that drives you then you must love the idea of "free" healthcare.

Dollars make a big difference, especially between two companies that both do an adequate job. Adequate, in this case, means it gets there on time and in one piece 99% of the time.

I use Fedex almost exclusively for my personal business, but most of the companies I deal with use UPS for regular shipping. They all have Fedex accounts for high priority stuff.

Guest SUNTZU
Dollars make a big difference, especially between two companies that both do an adequate job. Adequate, in this case, means it gets there on time and in one piece 99% of the time.

I use Fedex almost exclusively for my personal business, but most of the companies I deal with use UPS for regular shipping. They all have Fedex accounts for high priority stuff.

Oh, I understand that a business will end up using both, I just wish more people would be willing to do as much as possible to get away from unions. Did you read the last article in my original link? Basically UPS is saying that the way they do business sucks so we are going to try and get the government to make your business (FedEx) to suck like ours. That is my problem with UPS.

If the dollar is the only thing that drives you then you must love the idea of "free" healthcare.

Not really a fair comparison... UPS vs. FedEx is a free market decision, folks will obviously pick the one with better service and lower cost every time... and should. If they choose one over the other (cost is higher but service is better, or cost is lower but service is worse), that's based on their individual priority... but at least it's based in reality.

Free healthcare is actually going to cost more... the public can be decieved about that because they'll never read the bill for themselves, but it's impossible to trick somebody into paying more for shipping when it's in black and white.

Edited by molonlabetn
The only good things I have to say about UPS are:

1) The local drivers and clerk at the hub are very nice and helpful.

2) They are not DHL

But, my FedEx driver got my cell number, and if I am not home he will call and see if I am at work, and bring it to me there, since it's on his route. Ya don't get much better than that...

Fedex IS a better company, but I've had them pull some major boners over the years. The worst one was actually in Memphis... some high priority gear that was to be delivered right down the street from them.

We even went to the Fedex offices, and they told us tough :koolaid:. I don't hold it against them... just sayin'

I think we can all agree on one thing. DHL sucked

Guest SUNTZU
Not really a fair comparison... UPS vs. FedEx is a free market decision, folks will obviously pick the one with better service and lower cost every time... and should.

Free healthcare is actually going to cost more... the public can be decieved about that because they'll never read the bill for themselves, but it's impossible to trick somebody into paying more for shipping when it's in black and white.

That's not the point I was making, or failing to make. Most people only look at what is right in front of their eyes, as in free healthcare, which isn't free, that is why I put it in quotation marks. If a person only look at the dollar spent out of pocket and not where that dollar is going, then they are probably one of the people that are ecstatic of "free" healthcare, no matter the detriment that it holds for freedom.

In regards to UPS, and unions in general, supporting them monetarily helps feed the beast, which spends billions on lobbying. They want the bailouts and the free healthcare. Those union thugs that have been talked about since the election trail. These same unions and their supporters have a big middle finger aimed at freedom right now. If at all possible, I don't want to spend my money helping these companies stay in business.

I hope that clears it up.

Oh, I understand that a business will end up using both, I just wish more people would be willing to do as much as possible to get away from unions. Did you read the last article in my original link? Basically UPS is saying that the way they do business sucks so we are going to try and get the government to make your business (FedEx) to suck like ours. That is my problem with UPS.

I have a BIG problem with unions, mostly because of their thug tactics. With at said, I have gotten some kickass work out of some union tradesman.

That's not the point I was making, or failing to make. Most people only look at what is right in front of their eyes, as in free healthcare, which isn't free, that is why I put it in quotation marks. If a person only look at the dollar spent out of pocket and not where that dollar is going, then they are probably one of the people that are ecstatic of "free" healthcare, no matter the detriment that it holds for freedom.

In regards to UPS, and unions in general, supporting them monetarily helps feed the beast, which spends billions on lobbying. They want the bailouts and the free healthcare. Those union thugs that have been talked about since the election trail. These same unions and their supporters have a big middle finger aimed at freedom right now. If at all possible, I don't want to spend my money helping these companies stay in business.

I hope that clears it up.

OK... I read the second article. My take on this.. it's the Teamsters being themselves. My little brother works for a company that was independent, but now owned by Fedex Freight. When fedex established the freight division, they got in UPS's nickers, and more importantly, stepped on the Teamsters' turf.

This kinda stuff has been going on in the transportation industry for decades. Just another big lobby feeding greedy politicians. Are the Dems pro union? Yep, always have been.

It may be an outrage, but it looks like the same old stuff to me.

The Teamsters' turf? Their union is the only one that should be delivering freight in your opinion or am I reading it wrong?

Not my opinion... theirs. I'm not a fan of those guys. They used to do things by breaking kneecaps. The methods are different these days, but AFIK, their mentality is about the same.

I have had to deal with trade unions on large projects before (mostly St. Louis). Strong arm tactics (insinuated) are standard procedure. It's all about their turf. Pretty easy to get yourself hurt.

Good to know. I was starting to look at your posts funny. :):D

I've just had some family in the transportation industry in union strongholds. My dad was a member of the Teamsters when I was a kid. Just telling you what I think is really happening.

We don't see much of that stuff in this part of the world. I don't think the Musicians' Union has ever broken any kneecaps :P

Guest 6.8 AR
I have a BIG problem with unions, mostly because of their thug tactics. With at said, I have gotten some kickass work out of some union tradesman.

I do, too, as I am in a union and not by my own choice. You

got that kickass work out of that individual who happened to be a union tradesman.