ar pistol

my82cam

well, i am going to the gun show saturday and i am planning on buying a stripped pistol lower so i can build one. my friend has one with the 11.5 inch barrel and said it is a hoot! has anybody had any bad stories about the short barreled ARs or the pistol ARs before i sink some money in one? what is a good length to go with, shorter, longer? thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first I see absolutely no practical use for a AR pistol aside from informal target shooting. I personally have never shot or even held one but I hear the balance is HORRIBLE on them.

They just seem senseless to me.

If I were to get one though, it would be a 7-7.5" one.

first I see absolutely no practical use for a AR pistol aside from informal target shooting. I personally have never shot or even held one but I hear the balance is HORRIBLE on them.

They just seem senseless to me.

If I were to get one though, it would be a 7-7.5" one.

I had the same opinion for years. I had several 14" Contenders back in the 80's as well as a couple of XP100's. They were unwieldy as pistols or rifles. So, I never even considered a AR pistol. I finally got one just for financial investment as we all know Obama is going to get to guns as he is going thru the liberal agenda one by one. Much to my surprise the little thing will shoot. I passed on the 7.5" on the advise from Gary at J&T and went with the longer barrel. With normal sights and the buffer tube on my cheek, it shoots just like a little rifle. It is loud, that is why I wear ear plugs and defenders, always have as my 44 mags, 223's, 357's, 30-06's, etc, are loud also. I was wrong about these rifles/pistols. As was stated, they are fun, more fun than I have had in a while.

One other thing, I chronographed several of my loads and some Malaysian military, the pistol was consistently 200fps slower than my 16" AR. With the factory Malaysian I was at 3000fps and with the pistol I was at 2800fps. Not bad for such a small controllable weapon. BTW, the functioning issues with these pistols are much more common in the 7.5" guns than the longer barrels.

Guest That Guy

They are cool. 11.5" is as short as I would go, personally.

But, um...you do know not to put a butt/shoulder-stock on an AR-Pistol, right?

Just asking.

I had the same opinion for years. I had several 14" Contenders back in the 80's as well as a couple of XP100's. They were unwieldy as pistols or rifles. So, I never even considered a AR pistol. I finally got one just for financial investment as we all know Obama is going to get to guns as he is going thru the liberal agenda one by one. Much to my surprise the little thing will shoot. I passed on the 7.5" on the advise from Gary at J&T and went with the longer barrel. With normal sights and the buffer tube on my cheek, it shoots just like a little rifle. It is loud, that is why I wear ear plugs and defenders, always have as my 44 mags, 223's, 357's, 30-06's, etc, are loud also. I was wrong about these rifles/pistols. As was stated, they are fun, more fun than I have had in a while.

One other thing, I chronographed several of my loads and some Malaysian military, the pistol was consistently 200fps slower than my 16" AR. With the factory Malaysian I was at 3000fps and with the pistol I was at 2800fps. Not bad for such a small controllable weapon. BTW, the functioning issues with these pistols are much more common in the 7.5" guns than the longer barrels.

Which length barrel did you go with? I have a 10.5" which has jammed on me once. I attribute it to the wolf ammo i was shooting. Also note i was mixing up pmc 223, wolf 223, winchestor 5.56, sellier and belliot 223. It just happened that 2 wolfs were together.

My brother has a 7.5" pistol that he got from J&T and we have tortured it. And I mean tortured it. We told Gary when he bought it what were were going to do with it and he just said, if it breaks bring it back. It has has back to back Beta mag dumps pretty regularly. The only time it has ever had a problem was when the gas tube blew up during one Beta mag dump. But that can happen when you get one that hot. :tough:

Which length barrel did you go with? I have a 10.5" which has jammed on me once. I attribute it to the wolf ammo i was shooting. Also note i was mixing up pmc 223, wolf 223, winchestor 5.56, sellier and belliot 223. It just happened that 2 wolfs were together.

I went with the chrome lined 11.5". I have not had any malfunctions yet.

Guest bart_p

I'm going to have to chime in on this one and say that I was in the crowd that looked at these as novelty items, but I am starting to see them used more and more. It seems that the owners are generally divided into two major groups (for the civy side of things anyways): 1) the people that just couldn't wait on that tax stamp to buy their sbr upper and needed something to put it on and 2) people that tend to think outside of the box. The second group is a diverse group of shooters that range from pure novelty collectors to hardcore guys that really run their guns and are looking for the latest greatest. I have continually heard of people taking a well built AR pistol and being effective out to 300 yd with them (just as much so as an equivalent SBR). Apparently there is a steep learning curve to them and they are certainly not for everyone, but there is definitely a use other than just fun shooting. I am actually looking to add one to my collection and am looking at either building my own from either BCM or LMT parts or getting the one LWRC markets.

Bart

Not an AR, but a .223 pistol. Already complete and no tax money paid to the Feds. :tough:

DPMSPLRweb001.jpg

first I see absolutely no practical use for a AR pistol aside from informal target shooting.

I purchased mine as a rifle for the trunk before they passed the law allowing HCP holders to carry rifles. I didn’t carry it on me, but could legally have it in the trunk loaded.

Guest 6.8 AR

I have made several in the 10.5/11.5 barrel length. No problems and they are very

compact as opposed to toting a loaded AR rifle. None of that taxation by the thugs,

either. Noveske makes a good toy for the tip. KX3. The noise goes forward. Normal flash hider isn't very helpful.