How do I tie up a dog thats houdini reincarnated?

Alright so i got my girlfriend a dog for our anniversary in Feb, this dog was a 6 month Airedale Terrier that we saw in the Tennessee trader, when i went to pick the dog up she was locked in a 6'x6' cage with her brother and the owners said they had never been out of the cage, the floor was covered in crap and she looked to be in quite poor health but i payed the man $20 just to get her out that cage, i wish i could have saved her brother from that hell but i had no room to keep him.

Well when i was trying to get her on a collar she got loose from me and ran around for weeks before i got close enough to her to get a collar on her, when i did the did what most dogs do when they get tied she jerked and pulled to get out and to my amazement she slid out on the first try. I figured i had it to loose so i tried again a few days later and tightened that collar as much as i could, well she slipped out just as easy to i came to the conclusion that her neck mussels are so large she can't be restrained by a collar.

So i bought a large nylon harness like the one pictured but with thicker straps, i tightened it up and put her on a line and she couldn't get out of it, feeling accomplished i went inside for a few hours well i went out there last night and she was on the back porch wagging her tale and jumping as if to say "you can't tie me up hahahahahaha", to my amazement she didn't break her harness but through some Houdini like skills she slid right out of it at some point.

So what else can i do? I can't set up a lot for her cause i don't have the wire and have little money (besides shes a terrier so she would probably dig under it), what kinda collar or harness can i put on her to keep her on a line?

Heres what she looks like though this is not a picture of her, she won;t stand still long enough for a picture.

Airedale-Terrier-269x300.jpg

Heres what the harness sort of looked like, the design anyway.

holt-tug-dog-harness.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dog Trainers, Chattanooga Dog Trainers, Chattanooga Dog Training, Obedience Training, Housebreaking, play biting, jumping on people, pulling, won't come, growling, barking, begging, chewing, biting, door crashing, mounting, stealing food, going throu

She is awesome with training you to train your dog. I am sure she will have some ideas to help you out. It will cost $$ for a session, but it was worth every penny.

Edited by sigmtnman

Training, training, training. From your description, it sounds like the process won't be fun at first. If you intend to keep the dog, you must get control.

The pinch type training collers work quite well. A really stubborn dog can hurt itself with the choke chains.

Guest clownsdd

Sorry, but you don't. You take the time to properly train the animal, or build an enclosure that is capable of containing it. If the money or time is not available, maybe it's time you put it up for adoption.

Guest mikedwood

Some dogs just can't be contained. Trained maybe but not contained.

I use to have a Huskey/Malamute mix and he would be OK on his run, but if he wanted out for some dog reason, he was gone. He would do whatever it was that drove him to escape and then come back and be OK for awhile, he could somehow another snap a 2000 pound ( I think it was 2000 ) cable and run around for days with 12' hanging off his collar.

I use to have another dog that knew when it rained the invisible fence wasn't as bad and she would take the jolt to escape. You would hear the yelp and off she would go. She didn't mind the yard she had but, when it thundered her instinct was to run and run and run.

Some dogs just can't be contained. Trained maybe but not contained.

I use to have a Huskey/Malamute mix and he would be OK on his run, but if he wanted out for some dog reason, he was gone. He would do whatever it was that drove him to escape and then come back and be OK for awhile, he could somehow another snap a 2000 pound ( I think it was 2000 ) cable and run around for days with 12' hanging off his collar.

I use to have another dog that knew when it rained the invisible fence wasn't as bad and she would take the jolt to escape. You would hear the yelp and off she would go. She didn't mind the yard she had but, when it thundered her instinct was to run and run and run.

I had a malamute/wolf mix while in Wa state. Beautiful animal, but very hard to control.:up:

Sorry, but you don't. You take the time to properly train the animal, or build an enclosure that is capable of containing it. If the money or time is not available, maybe it's time you put it up for adoption.

X2 or like GG said keep her inside. A dog that behaves in such a way requires a ton of attention and/or definate training. The correct way to handle it isn't to find a better way to tie it up, it's to get it's behavior under control from the beginning. My last dog taught me alot about all of this, and especially about how much attention some dogs require in order to keep them from getting bored and eating your bathroom and your barn. At the time I wasn't in a position to get her any training, and never could find an enclosure that was capable of containing her, so I gave her away to some people that had plenty of time to spend with her. Sadly in some cases even with proper training certain dogs just require more attention than their owners can give them.

I dont agree with tying up a dog or caging one but sometimes you have to depending on where you live. Some dogs just like some humans are stupid. I had an doberman that I rescued, he was the dumbest dog known to man. I worked,tryed to train him and spent many hours doing so, but it was worthless but he was still ignorant. The sad thing is, is that its not the dogs fault it is the previous owners for not spending time with the animal.GOOD LUCK

Well heres the deal, yeah it would be great if i could take out time and train the dog but heres the problem she is getting into my neighbors garbage and they are going to shoot her if they catch her so im trying to get her on a line so i can train her without her leaving the area. bringing her inside is not an option for a few reasons, shes a big dog and we don't bring large dogs into the house as a rule, we have house cats and she has already shown that she wants to kill them, and last but not least i have tried to get her inside to give her a bath and she stops at the door and if i try to pull her she runs like crazy.

I wish i could afford a lot or something but i just can't, i just need a way to keep her from running until i can tame her.

Well heres the deal, yeah it would be great if i could take out time and train the dog but heres the problem she is getting into my neighbors garbage and they are going to shoot her if they catch her so im trying to get her on a line so i can train her without her leaving the area. bringing her inside is not an option for a few reasons, shes a big dog and we don't bring large dogs into the house as a rule, we have house cats and she has already shown that she wants to kill them, and last but not least i have tried to get her inside to give her a bath and she stops at the door and if i try to pull her she runs like crazy.

I wish i could afford a lot or something but i just can't, i just need a way to keep her from running until i can tame her.

The longer you keep her on a chain or in a pen the worst she'll get, these dogs are bread to hunt and run. Keeping her up tied or caged and not messing with her is the same as the previous owners. Ten minutes a day will make a world of difference, the dog has to trust you first. Training a dog to obay is not an easy job, it takes patients. The main thing is the owner has to be smarter than the dog.

Guest db99wj

Get rid of the dog, obviously you are not in the position to care for it. This is not a slam against you, but it would appear you got in, with good intentions, over your head.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I had a dog like this, notice HAD, but I still have her. First of all, since she's just 7 months old, she's still a baby. My advice would be to invest in some all natural dog treats, training treats of some type and some GOOD walking/running shoes. You can get a collar on her, even if you think its hurting her, as long as she's not whining.. it's not. Get a collar or harness OR BOTH (I had to do that with mine) and take her for a walk.. When she gets out ahead of you, stop and don't pay attention to her... When she comes back around and stands near you, give her a treat... Start walking again, if she takes off or pulls, just stop... She'll get the hint... If she's smart enough to get out of EVERYTHING you put her in, she'll be smart enough to figure out, "When I stay near Dad, I get these good little treats." and then it'll get better. Also, with those treats, teach simple commands, like "Come", "Sit", "Stay" and, definately, "NO" (Even if it does mean a pop on the butt or nose). She just seems like she's really hyper. Take her to a dog park to run around. Any dog can be handled and trained by any person, you just have to take the time and love them and let them know that. You can do it, you just gotta BE CONSISTENT WITH EVERYTHING YOU DO TO TEACH HER SOMETHING.

Edited by Glock23ForMe

listen dude its not the dogs fault. its a hunting dog and hunting dogs like to RUN! this dog has been pent up in basically a jail cell for who knows how long with no freedom to just RUN. imagine if you were that dog and you now had no walls around you. what would you do? i suggest walking her obviously, but take her to a dog park and just let her run and run and run. not only will she release pent up energy, but she will be getting socialized as well.

I had a dog like this, notice HAD, but I still have her. First of all, since she's just 7 months old, she's still a baby. My advice would be to invest in some all natural dog treats, training treats of some type and some GOOD walking/running shoes. You can get a collar on her, even if you think its hurting her, as long as she's not whining.. it's not. Get a collar or harness OR BOTH (I had to do that with mine) and take her for a walk.. When she gets out ahead of you, stop and don't pay attention to her... When she comes back around and stands near you, give her a treat... Start walking again, if she takes off or pulls, just stop... She'll get the hint... If she's smart enough to get out of EVERYTHING you put her in, she'll be smart enough to figure out, "When I stay near Dad, I get these good little treats." and then it'll get better. Also, with those treats, teach simple commands, like "Come", "Sit", "Stay" and, definately, "NO" (Even if it does mean a pop on the butt or nose). She just seems like she's really hyper. Take her to a dog park to run around. Any dog can be handled and trained by any person, you just have to take the time and love them and let them know that. You can do it, you just gotta BE CONSISTENT WITH EVERYTHING YOU DO TO TEACH HER SOMETHING.

You got it. It is this easy, but it requires time.

Guest 1981Duke

I have owned Airedales since 1994. They are bold, independent, smart dogs. They need consistency but do not respond to harsh tarining techniques. They can get aggressive and snap, if you do. You need to be patient, consistent, and use positive reinforcement. Many Airedales have a strong prey drive. It is not uncommon for them to not only hunt squirrels, but also small dogs and cats. I had littermates and they killed a dozen squirrels, 3 raccoons, 3 possums, and a rat. Baxter did not like most dogs. Both were always good with people and children.

I suggest you find a trainer who has worked with airedales or giant schnauzers. Of my 4 airedales, 2 were "rescues" that I got from Airedale Rescue. That is a wonderful organization. If you decide to reinquish your 'dale, please contact National Airedale Rescue or email me back. I can help with that. There is nothing wrong with re-homing. Most rescuers know all about "tough to train airedales". In fact they specialize in that.

Good Luck!

Guest db99wj
I have owned Airedales since 1994. They are bold, independent, smart dogs. They need consistency but do not respond to harsh tarining techniques. They can get aggressive and snap, if you do. You need to be patient, consistent, and use positive reinforcement. Many Airedales have a strong prey drive. It is not uncommon for them to not only hunt squirrels, but also small dogs and cats. I had littermates and they killed a dozen squirrels, 3 raccoons, 3 possums, and a rat. Baxter did not like most dogs. Both were always good with people and children.

I suggest you find a trainer who has worked with airedales or giant schnauzers. Of my 4 airedales, 2 were "rescues" that I got from Airedale Rescue. That is a wonderful organization. If you decide to reinquish your 'dale, please contact National Airedale Rescue or email me back. I can help with that. There is nothing wrong with re-homing. Most rescuers know all about "tough to train airedales". In fact they specialize in that.

Good Luck!

Great post :D

Guest mosinon

That's how I got my bulldog. The previous owners had an invisible fence but since he was sociable he'd just walk right across that thing. The shock not being worth staying in the yard.

For the terrier, I'd recommend you get healthy. Put that dog on a pinch collar (they work better for me than choke chains) and start running. In general terriers have a lot of energy and running with them helps a lot.

My neighbor had a jack russell who chewed through the fence. Didn't dig under the fence, didn't jump over the fence, he chewed through a chain link fence. Outside dog and all. I suggested he run with the dog. He suggested I do something to myself that isn't anatomically possible and suggested I run with the dog. I countered by noting that I couldn't run to the bathroom if I had to.

He picked up the ball at this point and found a jogger and suggested that if she ran with a dog people would be less likely to mess with her. She agreed and ran that dogs miles a day. Not sure how many. Anyway, once the dog got the exercise it needed it didn't try to get out, it didn't go crazy and was an all around better dog.

Though I think he ended up giving the dog to the runner.

Guest Glock23ForMe
You got it. It is this easy, but it requires time.

It is pretty simple to train a dog. They are smart and aim to please. Especially hunting dogs. They are bred to have a job to do, and if you can tweak their brain to make their job to listen to you, it is amazing. Like I said earlier, I HAD a dog that drove me nuts and I trained her not to, and then a lady gave me a Border Collie and I almost took him to the pound, but now.. about 7 months later, they are both great dogs. I live in a "Must Leash Your Dog" apt complex and when I let them out, no leash.. My voice is my leash. The MOST IMPORTANT commands for a dog to know is "Come" and "No". Not only for you, but so they don't get killed by a car or something of the sort. But I cannot stress enough CONSISTENCY. Smart dogs will pick up on ANYTHING from the slightest movement of any part of your body. If you want to train your dog to learn and behave, you must be consistent with everything, from the tone of your voice, to where your hands go (if they move, hand signal, by your side, over your head), to where you and the dog are looking, no detail is overlooked. And the treats... Always positive reinforce whenever they do what you ask. Like I said, any dog can be trained by ANY person, it does take time and patience, but in the end. Its all worth it. I pride myself in my dogs and how well they listen, especially at PetsMart. ;) Never give up on them.

Alright you guys broke me down, i sent an email to the training service that sigmtnman posted, thanks for the link sigmtnman. If the price is not to high and they present themselves as professionals i will do the training thing. i will post the results of it and hopefully i will have a good dog that will be with me and my girlfriend for a while.