Why do 1911s cost so much?

JAB

Warning though, when you get your first it is really disheartening to carry an over the counter gun again.:confused:

Nah. I want to carry the cheapest possible gun that I can depend on. I could afford to buy and shoot a 3k+ 1911 but to carry one and scratch, ding, lose one is just not something I can afford.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Elite Teams use them...... but they are secondary weapons to those groups. In a 10 round limit world, 9 rounds of 45 is what everyone wanted. Since the ban is over...... well they can't lower the price just because.

Sales of the 1911 were fine before the ban and are fine now. Prices are comparable adjusting to inflation.

Given the amount of companies who make a 1911 I think it goes way beyond the 10 round ban.

S&W

Kimber

Colt

Springield

Taurus

STI

Remington (new this coming year)

Dan Wesson

Fusion

Night Hawk

Para Ord

Rock Island

Sig Sauer

Wilson Combat

Les Baer

Ed Brown

And if you ever tried to get one built by a notable 1911 smith be prepared to wait 18 months or so.

I see no end to the success of the 1911 platform.

Elite Teams of what? What does ban have to do with anything?

I think he is referring to the so-called assault weapons ban which restricted the manufacture of mags of more than 10 rounds. Of course it grandfathered in all of the previously made mags. So most of us never skipped a beat with our high cap mags. That is unless you lived in a state which also banned them, which means they are still banned n those places. The ban never placed restrictions on law enforcement.

I have found that most 'elite' teams use a number of different guns determined by individuals or individual teams. Some spec ops teams use 1911's, but they also use Sigs, Hk's and a couple of others. Most security forces that I have been around use Glocks, HK's and Sigs and some Berettas and S&W are seen. I rarely see them with 1911's. Not never, I said rarely.

The cost of the 1911 is somewhat marketing, but mainly the cost of manufacture. In fact while many pistols have skyrocketed in price the 1911 has dropped in recent years. In the late 80's / early 90's, it cost as much or more to buy and build out a 1911 than it does to buy a built out one today.

Nah. I want to carry the cheapest possible gun that I can depend on. I could afford to buy and shoot a 3k+ 1911 but to carry one and scratch, ding, lose one is just not something I can afford.

I don't worry about scratches or wear much and I kinda like the look of a well worn gun.

I totally get it though, but I finally came to the conclusion that the enjoyment I get from carrying such an awesome gun everyday far out ways the extreme outside chance of losing it after a shooting or something. I just figured life is too short. :cool:

Guest redbarron06
That said, I recently fired a 1911-style pistol ... and this was the first time I'd even held a 1911 style pistol. Honestly, I have to work pretty hard to do that with my own handguns with which I am familiar and have practiced.

Why you ask

1. In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was the pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck about with my disciple John's design, for it is good and it worketh. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

I'll have some of that :cool:

Is this just an example of pricing to what the market will bear as so many people want a 1911?

Your last question was the winner, hands down. 1911s cost more because buyers are willing to pay more. For whatever reason, gun purchasers find them more desirable than other competitors.

As you pointed out, a .45 in another platform pokes the same holes, and will serve the same purpose for most shooters. The market says that 1911 buyers are buying more than a utilitarian hole punch, based on the prices being paid for them. The combination of looks, ergonomics, history, and customizability are all potential factors in the higher prices, not to mention the buyers' perceived status in the shooting community that comes with ownership of a 1911 vs. a P220, for instance.

A thing is worth whatever someone else will pay for it, no more and no less.

Actually as I sad earlier it may somewhat be marketing, but it is a small part of it. Gun companies may in fact make more from a 1911 today than they used to, but overall prices have come down over the last twenty years. In the 80's and early 90's 1911 was on its way out. All but the die hards were moving away from it and the decline began in the 50's as LEA's stopped using them and moved to other less expensive and less complicated double action autos.

1911's were very expensive then despite low demand. As I also said it was as much to buy and customize one then as it is now, ie. much more inflationary wise. The rise of CNC computer manufacturing and the easier cheaper manufacturing processes allowed for a huge new market of less expensive 1911's.

Make no mistake about it the 1911 is still an expensive pistol to manufacture, and always has been, especially with any hand fitted customization. DW, Springfield, etc could not afford to make the higher end mass manufactured guns they make and sell it at the cost of the M&P, XD etc. There is also a high level supply. Marketing and market bear is part of it but not the huge part some try and make it sounds as it is.

Your last question was the winner, hands down. 1911s cost more because buyers are willing to pay more. For whatever reason, gun purchasers find them more desirable than other competitors.

As you pointed out, a .45 in another platform pokes the same holes, and will serve the same purpose for most shooters. The market says that 1911 buyers are buying more than a utilitarian hole punch, based on the prices being paid for them. The combination of looks, ergonomics, history, and customizability are all potential factors in the higher prices, not to mention the buyers' perceived status in the shooting community that comes with ownership of a 1911 vs. a P220, for instance.

A thing is worth whatever someone else will pay for it, no more and no less.

St Patrick is that a democratic Afro Pick in your avatar? I find the 1911 grip style fits my hand perfectly in fact I plan on my first handgun purchase as soon as I turn 21 to be a commander sized 1911.

People have often asked me why I carry a pistol that cost nearly $3K, my answer is just that I carry the best pistol possible to protect my family. I know I cant take it with me when I pass and I consider all of my guns tools (I do not care about scratches, ETC), God forbid I ever have to use it in a defensive situation but if I do I know it will do what is asked of it.

You DO NOT need to spend a lot of money to get a reliable defensive handgun, I have owned and still do own cheaper guns that I would trust the lives of my family to. I just prefer the 1911 and with that model you do get what you pay for, For me it is worth it to have a pistol tuned and built exactly the way I want it so it is worth the extra money to get one that way, Life is short and if you have the means without making your family suffer in anyway, I see no reason not to buy whatever type of gun that you desire :D

St Patrick is that a democratic Afro Pick in your avatar? I find the 1911 grip style fits my hand perfectly in fact I plan on my first handgun purchase as soon as I turn 21 to be a commander sized 1911.

That's "Cthulhu 2010! Why Vote for the Lesser Evil?". It's a bad joke, but I like it. The whole slogan doesn't fit below the avatar, so it's been shortened for brevity.

Seeing as how my post said something along the lines of "a thing is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it", and I believe it, you can bet that I won't be advertising for the left anytime soon. I'm an unreconstructed capitalist and proud of it. There will be no democratic (new definition) 'fro picks, drum circles, protests, or policies advocated by me.

+1 on the commander size, and the awesome feel of a single stack 1911. A 1911 is on my list as well, but I need a good shotgun first.

I just prefer the 1911 and with that model you do get what you pay for, For me it is worth it to have a pistol tuned and built exactly the way I want it so it is worth the extra money to get one that way, Life is short and if you have the means without making your family suffer in anyway, I see no reason not to buy whatever type of gun that you desire :D

Willis, you have got it exactly right. It's your money and you can spend it however you want - if you can spare the cash, money can buy happiness, be it a 1911, a boat, a vacation, ammo, etc. At worst, it can put down a real nice down payment...:D

Guest redbarron06

I have a commander sized Nighthawk Custom. Absolutly love it. It is a work of art. i have seen looser tolleriences on hyd pistons on aircraft. All that being said it is not a safe queen. It is my EDC and I wear it with pride. I trust it with my life every time I put it on. I trust my families life with it 24/7. I have run it hard and it never failed. I look forward to passing it down, even if it gets a few scratches, dents and dings.

• I shoot it better than any other pistol I have tried.
  • It is accurate, powerful and fast (DVC).
  • It has the best trigger of any handgun ever built.
  • It is durable
  • Price you get what you pay for ..
  • Semi Custom pistols ..
  • Better Barrels & Barrel Bushings ..Barrel Link Pins
  • Better Front Sights & Rear Sights
  • Hammer
  • Sear
  • Disconnector
  • Sear spring
  • Slides & Frames
  • Hours of hand fitting
  • To me it's worth spending the $$$ on a well made 1911

Edited by Kano
Guest 270win

I bought a Springfield Armory Mil Spec recently new for 600 bucks...but this is a bottom of the line 45 1911. I was happy to get it and it is a lot of fun to shoot. I ran a 50 rd box of Winchester white box 230 gr ball and a few Remington 230 gr Golden Saber hollowpoints through it with no problems. I cleaned out a good bit of the heavy packing grease and racked the slide a lot before shooting the gun yesterday at MSSA in Arlington/Lakeland. It was a lot of fun and easier to shoot for me than my old Glock 9mm, due to the thinner grip/single stack mag VS double stack of the Glock. The traditional trigger VS double action helps too...as does heavier weight of the gun and 5 inch barrel VS 4 inch of the Glock 19. I was using the two standard 7rd mags that came with the gun. You can get a 1911 if you want one...just look for a Springfield Mil Tec...mine is parkarized..bought from a dealer in Jackson, TN...great price you get a nice hard sided lockable carrying case, two mags, wood grips on the gun, extra plastic grips, cheap plastic holster (i have to work on it b/c my gun got stuck in it!), plastic double mag carrier, cleaning rod/brush..and coupons to get discounts on buying accessories. When I get the money I plan on putting a beavertail safety, extended ambi safety, new trigger, trigger job, commander hammer...maybe new night sights...minor things but it is a great value for 600 bucks....NO JAMS! This is my first 1911 and it sure makes you feel like you're an American when you have that big 45 in your hand!

began in the 50's as LEA's stopped using them and moved to other less expensive and less complicated double action autos.

1911's were very expensive then despite low demand.

Not to dispute much of what you had said but I thought id point out some first hand knowledge. My stepfather purchased a Springfield 1911 in the early to mid 60's for $17.99 from the NRA and now kicks himself in the pants because he sold it for 50 bucks back in the late 70's (Now worth about 20 Grand as a collector piece)

I know 18 bucks back then was worth a lot more than it is today but I still find that a relatively low price . I think as you also said it was more the complicated/reliability issue .As with any Semi-auto the gun will only be reliable if its maintained properly. Revolvers are more resilient and require less attention to function reliably . I'm not saying that Semi-autos are unreliable but I've never seen a revolver stove pipe or have a failure to feed because the operator didn't maintain it properly .

Why so expensive today? 1)Demand 2) since the patents expired everyone is free to make their own 1911 with all the variants and custom parts and its been a game of one-upmanship ever since.

Scenario: Company A makes a decent 1911 then company B makes one a little better and charges a Little more. Company C improves on that design and charges more as well. Then customers start demanding more then company A improves its fit and finish to compete then the cycle starts over again constantly driving the price upward as long as the demand remains steady.

Guest mistwalker

Just like with fine automobiles, you pay dearly for the new glitz and glitter - so buy one of the many fine slightly used guns out there. There are plenty to be had a great prices and many having little prior use.

That Taurus 1911 is a cheap handgun.

I'm assuming you mean cheaply made and not inexpensive. If so, I'd agree after seeing one fall apart at the gun range. For the money of the Taurus, you can buy a RI or maybe even a STI Spartan, or come close to it.