Latest project: (L)ight (T)atical (R)ifle

MikeW

Well was going to be "light" but ended up at 14.5lbs :rolleyes:

I just finished bolting everything up on my latest project.

I picked up the McMillan A5 stock from TGO member Eric a month or two ago and picked up the scope and barrled action this week. I hope to get to the range this afternoon or tomorrow if I get off work in time.

Details:

Remington LTR (Light Tatical Rifle) 20" .308

US Optics 3.2-17x44 TPAL,1/10 MIL EREK

1/10 MIL #3 with Windage Stop

GAP MIL SCALE Reticle

Red Illumination

USO Rail Bubble level

Badger 20MOA Mount

Badger M40A3 Rings

McMillan A5 stock with Williams Bottom Metal

TIS Quick Cuff Sling

4467517770_581a98f095_b.jpg

4467516954_0a0364620d_b.jpg

4466741853_b72ed5b507_b.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks G-PaGlynn

I was able to make it to the range before they closed. I only had time for two sessions (12-15 minute sessions). I got the rifle on the paper at 25 and moved out to 100.

The new setup should work well once I get use to it.

Best 3-shot group was .352

and the last session I shot a 10-shot group (1.34-.308=1.032)

4467667769_1a72f52e84.jpg

Guest bart_p

So where's the 100 yard group? Just kidding! That's a nice rig you have there. I like it :). Now we need some long range groups!

Bart

Oh by the way: How do you like that USO? I was looking at those a while back, but found a deal on a Mark 4 that I couldn't pass up.

:) Bart

I do hope to get out to the 200 yard range next weekend. Or, maybe down to the 300 yard range if it is not too muddy. Other than that I dont know where I can shoot 400+.

The USO rocks so far B) I am going to ditch the 4" shade and get a 2" with ARD. The scope is nice and clear.

Guest bart_p

Well I hope to see some group pictures from those ranges whenever you get out to those ranges. Also what are you feeding that thing? I'll be curious to see what it likes. Is it a 1/12" like other 700's?

Quick question about your rings: Is there any reason that one is a six screw and one is a four or did I miss something (most likely) as of late regarding that practice?

Bart

I'll be curious to see what it likes. Is it a 1/12" like other 700's?

Quick question about your rings: Is there any reason that one is a six screw and one is a four or did I miss something (most likely) as of late regarding that practice?

Bart

Yes, it is 1/12 like the other 700 .308's.

I used some Federal gold Metal Match 175gr

Tonight I loaded some loads;

New .308 Winchester brass

Win LR primer

168 Serria Match King

42.0 Varget

2.23 Ogive (@2.80 OAL)

I am not sure why Badger makes that set of rings with six in the fron and four in the rear. the USMC must have someting in mind when they designed them that way.

The TWRA range in Montgomery County has a 400yd rifle range.

I have yet to make that trip.. but may be out that way on business the first weekend after Easter :rolleyes:

Now you will have to bring it to Oak Ridge and shoot it at 600 yards on the second sunday of the month.. schedules are here 2010 Match Schedule

I'd Love to Froggy However, I work every Sunday that it does not rain :love:

I have a line on a local private place that goes out to 800.. I may get in some time there now that it is getting warmer out.

Guest bart_p

I'm willing to bet that your rifle will love those 168's. I know a lot of Remington 700 shooters that have fantastic luck with the 168's over the 175's (especially in factory loads like FGMM). Also I forgot to ask, what's the story on the stock? Does it have bedding blocks or is it fully glass bedded? If it has aluminum bedding blocks, you ought to skim bed the action to further your accuracy. You can also skim bed your rail to the top of your action. If you do all that, then you won't have anything but yourself to blame for not having a nice small .308" hole for your groups. Just kidding, but in my experience, every little bit helps.

Bart

The 175's were factory ammo that I had on hand. I have a lot of the 168's to load up...so it will be feed 168's for a while :lol:.

The stock is not bedded at this time. It does not have blocks or pillars. I may have Ronnie Morris bed it. Or I may just leave it the way that it is for a while.

Guest FroggyOne2

I work every Sunday that it does not rain :lol:

I have a line on a local private place that goes out to 800.. I may get in some time there now that it is getting warmer out.

Do you work on Sats too? 1000 yard on the second sat.

Guest bart_p

If that rifle is shooting that well with no bedding then you need to get that thing bedded ASAP. It would be a real injustice to such a fine rifle not to have her properly bedded. If you have patience and a bit of finesse, you should give it a try yourself.

Bart

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bart_p

That is some pretty good shooting. Imagine if she was bedded properly! I will stay on you until she is :lol:. It would be a good before and after type comparison if you posted pictures.

Bart

:D I hear ya Bart... I may take this one to get bedded soon. However, right now I have switched my focus to a F-Class type rifle build.

I will get it bedded first... the rest of the parts should be in hand this week. :rolleyes: