Thinking of purchasing my first rifle...

Bubbatn

Just FYI, these are some of the pros/cons I have seen expressed for box vs. tube mags by those who have preferences. As mentioned, they both work:

Pros for box mag:

1. If the tube mag gets bent or heavily dented that pretty well puts the gun out of commission. If a box mag gets messed up, just swap mags.

2. If you want to unload a rifle with a tube mag without firing all the rounds in the mag, you have to either hand-eject one at a time or open the tube and try to dump all the rounds out then eject the round that is in the chamber (if there is a round chambered.) With a box mag, you remove the mag, eject the round from the chamber (if there is one in the chamber) and that's it.

3. You can load up multiple box mags ahead of time so when the rifle runs empty you just have to swap mags. Tube mags you have to reload every time.

Pros for tube mags:

1. Tube mags don't get dropped, lost or misplaced. They are always with the rifle.

2. Some people just like the look of a tube mag better.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

synthetic should be less expensive.

Bolt is so much easier to take care of. Pull the bolt and clean off the bolt face with a tooth brush and a dab of Hoppes or whatever, wipe off the breach face as best you can and you are really good to go. Run a few patches through the bore every once in a while. Maybe a little dab of oil on the bolt to reduce friction.

Semi auto's seem to need heavier cleaning. Field stripping a semi auto involves more work and really needs to be done for lubrication if nothing else.

I agree with this statement MOSTLY. The 10/22 is an exception for me. Mine has run fine in every state. Clean, dry, dirty, wet, and any combination thereof. The 10/22 is a fantastic little rifle. And takedown is extremely simple. One bolt through the stock and the barrel band are all you need to do to remove the stock. Two pins to remove the trigger group (pins will move out with light pressure). Now you have the barreled receiver and bolt. Bolt lifts out without tools as well. I don't think a semi auto could get any simpler.

The Walmart in Middlesboro might have a better selection and there is a pawn shop up there also. Long guns can be bought across state lines. I have found some guns in London, KY at the sporting goods store on 25 for a better price than in TN. The last time I was there Mike"s Gun shop had some 12 gauges for close to 100.

Edited by Desert Rat
add complete name of store
Are those still available? That was the first gun I shot when they were the new Plastic gun. Many MOONS ago!

I can only find them at gun shows.

I have a Marlin model 60 and wish I'd bought the 10/22 instead not that the Marlin is a bad gun its a great rifle ,just the upgrades are endless for the Ruger . Trust me once you get the bug you will want to upgrade or trade up . Just google Ruger 10/22 accessories and you will see what I mean.

The Walmart in Middlesboro might have a better selection and there is a pawn shop up there also. Long guns can be bought across state lines. I have found some guns in London, KY at the sporting goods store on 25 for a better price than in TN. The last time I was there Mike"s Gun shop had some 12 gauges for close to 100.

The Walmart in Middlesboro is the one I checked. They had a spot for two marlins(both gone) and I don't recall seeing a spot for a 10/22(not sure if they even offer that one)....but the Savages is the only 2 they had, however I did like the feel of those....but would like to be able to compare each side-to-side.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you updated on what I come up with.

Edit*...Nevermind, After some thinking and a little researching here on the net, I think I have decided. I believe I am going to go with the Marlin 981T(bolt action, tubular mag...http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/981T.asp). What do you guys think? Throw me a descent scope on there and I should be good to go. Now I just gotta shop around and find me a deal on one.

Edited by Bubbatn

I am not a bolt action fan. In Middlesboro there is a pawn shop and just north of there there are some. also in La Follete there is a sporting goods place as well as Mike's in your city. I found good prices and a good selection at the sporting goods place in London, KY but the selection may be better at South Clinton Pawn. I was in there once but probably will not go back. The price difference I found in London paid for the drive.

Check out the flea market as sometimes there are some rifles there if there is no hurry. There is always Bud's online when you can not find it locally. Living about 15 miles from you I thought I would provide some places where I shop.

Thanks Desert Rat, I actually visited every gun place around here today...haha. East End Pawn(in middlesboro), Mikes Gun Shop in middlesboro, and Mikes in tazewell.

East End Pawn did have a nice(looked nice to me anyways) Marlin 60 with wood stock/grip and stainless barrel for $169.99...but wasn't sure how that price was for a used gun? They also had another Marlin 60 that had an aftermarket stock/grip of some sort and a cheapo Bushnell scope on it for $159(? I think). Other than that, the rest they had either didn't interest me, seemed too steep, or looked in too rough of shape.

I did find a Marlin 795 at Mikes in middlesboro that I really thought about getting, could've got it for about $135+tax. I just think I would prefer a tube loaded magazine rather than just a 10shot regular mag?

Still just weighing the options and trying to figure what I want.

Squirell, thats the thing with the Model 60. no upgrades needed, its good to go right out of the box. All you need is to do your part and send rounds down range.

I agree its the third Marlin I've owned over the years but they don't make a 50 round mag for it ,or folding stocks, or more importantly match grade upgrades .such as this

249-i-fluted-w-orange-th-stock-and-zeiss-conquest-scope

255-deluxe-w-hogue-stock.jpg

347-thm-barrel-w-black-ends.jpg

Still trying to talk dad out of the old marlin lever action .22 he has.It is the first rifle I ever shot. I love that gun.

Not that I think owning a .22 for around 2 grand is what I would want but at least the option is there .

So basically what I am trying to say is when you buy a Marlin you get a Marlin great guns but with a 10/22 your options later are wide open.

Edited by Mad_Squirrell
content

Well Guys, I finally made my purchase. I ended up going with the Savage Mark II. Was planning on buying it from walmart, but the guy behind the counter was a typical walmart employee(couldn't care less if I bought something or not)...and he gave me some crap about my current address not being on my drivers liscense(moved about a year ago and haven't had my liscense changed)...said it was "federal law" and couldn't sell one to me without that. So I went down the road to the local gun shop(Mikes Gun Shop), they had the same identical gun(except in a tan, I guess its called "dark earth", stock...which I actually kinda like) and I got one there. It was about $20 more at the gunshop, but I know if I ever do have any problems with it that I would get ALOT better customer service from them than I would at wallyworld.

Anyways, Had it down at my dads yesterday and today and got about 50(give or take) rounds through it so far. And so far, Not a single problem. After I get used to it, and maybe set me up some kind of shooting stand and such...I don't think i'll have any problem with accuracy. Keep in mind, this is my first rifle, so i'm not expecting to be able to split cards anytime soon...haha.

I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple days. I appreciate everyones suggestions and input, Thanks guys!

Edited by Bubbatn

sounds good Bubba. And fwiw the guy at Walmart was not lying. I bought a shotgun a few years ago and had a previous address on my license. The FFL had me get my utility bill to prove my address. After that until I updated my license I would just make sure the 4473 matched what my DL said. Then no problem.

Go back to Walmart and get a short bi-pod for it, add a 3x9x32 scope to it and you will be good to go.

Post up a pic of the rifle when you get a chance. I have not seen a Savage in anything other than wood or black polymer.

I think you made a good choice!

Well, When I went to the local gunshop, they stated they only had to have something stating your current address. Since I am still living at home, I don't have a utility bill with my name, and i've got my PO Box on most of my other bills. Luckily my TWRA fishing liscense had my physical address, so they just made a copy of that...haha.

My drivers license has to be updated in June of this year anyway, so I will have my current address on there after June.