Southern Strategy

Guest CK1

I tend to try and stay out of political discussions here on TGO (after some fairly pointless yelling matches) as I know my own personal opinions and philosophies are at odds with the majority of people in the TGO community. Please remember that while my own ideologies may differ from the norm here, when it comes to second amendment issues I land squarely in lock-step with most of those on here, so to call me a Liberal or Lefty would be wrong and a mistake.

I'd just like to point some attention in the direction of the fact that since I'm not a native Tennessean I tend to notice some profound differences in political beliefs found in these parts that are held to be "truisms" that to someone from the Northeast or out West seem like great leaps without much basis in fact...

Mainly, over the last year with the new administration in office I've noticed that a long held political strategy is being employed HEAVILY in our area and the lines between what one should believe because it's fact and what one may want people to believe because it may suit a group's chosen agenda to gain support by manufacturing divisiveness using differing positions in ideology has become quite blurry.

In the interests of overall civic well-being, I implore those who are not familiar with it to please look into the concept of the Southern Strategy: Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and beyond that, maybe check out some of the relevant concepts in motion that are covered in the book "What's The Matter With Kansas?":

What's the Matter with Kansas? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is a good and informative read whether one considers themselves a hardcore Conservative OR Liberal.

Thanks, see you on the range.

Edited by CK1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost interest when it seemed that we were all going to branded "racists" again. It seems to me, that is as much a political tactic employed by liberals today to silence opposition as it is true in any region of the country.

If we continue to fall for the "us vs them" (Repub vs Dem), then we are already lost.

As for me, I think I'll support any candidate who is for smaller gov't regardless of what party they belong to. I'll vote for the conservative and worry less about the "R" or "D" behind their name.

Must not be much of a strategy if Southerners are not intimately familiar with it.

That's why it's such a useful strategy to use... People seem to not like it very much when it's obvious that they're being manipulated, but when they think it's their own idea or maybe heard it after church or around the water cooler...

I lost interest when it seemed that we were all going to branded "racists" again. It seems to me, that is as much a political tactic employed by liberals today to silence opposition as it is true in any region of the country.

If we continue to fall for the "us vs them" (Repub vs Dem), then we are already lost.

As for me, I think I'll support any candidate who is for smaller gov't regardless of what party they belong to. I'll vote for the conservative and worry less about the "R" or "D" behind their name.

I agree with you, the "us vs. them" s**t is getting just about zero actually accomplished as far as meaningful legislation or work is concerned (other than obstructionism that is).

Please don't let hearing about the race stuff put you off from looking all the way into it, while it may not work on you or affect everyone, as a devise to incite anger, there's no denying that it is a big part of the strategy that's being employed...

Lastly, remember that the concept of "larger government equals bad government" that was popularized and used under the Reagen administration should be taken as a danger to watch out for, not necessarily as a rule... While many conservatives champion Reagen and his smaller government ideology as a fool-proof doctrine, Reagen's growth of the arms and defense factions of our government while out spending the USSR during the cold war is what created the deficits the size of which we are still grappling to overcome today... hardly the result any "fiscal conservative" would be happy with...

Guest Overtaker
Reagan's growth of the arms and defense factions of our government while out spending the USSR during the cold war is what created the deficits the size of which we are still grappling to overcome today...

Tell me about it. If Reagan hadn't took on some defense-related debt to end the Cold War 20 years ago, Clinton wouldn't have turned Fannie and Freddie into the giants they are, Greenspan would have moved interest rates higher, Bush wouldn't have passed the first stimulus & TARP, we wouldn't be fighting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and Obama wouldn't have passed the second stimulus and ObamaCare. :rolleyes:

Seem like the basic gist is the evil Republicans manipulated us white southern Negrophobes into voting for them. That's such an evil strategy.

I quess its much better that Lyndon Johnson and his Great Society produced a dependent permanent underclass via welfare and endless entitlement programs as the Democrats southern voting block.

Tell me about it. If Reagan hadn't took on some defense-related debt to end the Cold War 20 years ago, Clinton wouldn't have turned Fannie and Freddie into the giants they are, Greenspan would have moved interest rates higher, Bush wouldn't have passed the first stimulus & TARP, we wouldn't be fighting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and Obama wouldn't have passed the second stimulus and ObamaCare. :rolleyes:

99% agree.

There's no such thing as a "second stimulus" or "Obamacare", there are however political agendas that are using those terms with the motive to create buzz and anger on which to capitalize on in the form of getting folks behind there own self-serving agendas (which is exactly why I kind of started this thread, so thanks).

For example, when trying to generate momentum behind policies that may be against a constituencies (as in folks who's households generate less than $250k per year incomes) best interests, calling the people who are getting caught up in it "patriots" sounds a whole lot better than calling them "pawns", however the latter is probably more accurate and closer to the truth... but people don't associate the tag "pawn" with freedom, "patriot" is much more tactical.

The Cliff Notes version:

It's a thinly veiled attempt at calling white Southerners racist.

NO. If you think it's that simple you're incorrect.

As was mentioned before, is racism a part of the strategy? YES... Is it the only part? NO.

In larger part, the strategy is based on alienating one group of folks from other groups of folks by pointing to differences while playing down similarities, using things like race... OR religion, morality, regional differences, or social equity to create "wedge issues".

The exchange above is a great example: some will say "Obamacare" while others will say "health-insurance reform"... without putting a hat in either ring, I can say as a new parent with a newborn who's been in the NICU unit for 7 days and counting that I'm thankful that I can afford health insurance and that I'm lucky enough that my wife works for the state of TN which gives us access to a really good policy, because at over $12,000 per day in costs I'd be looking up filing for bankruptcy protection rather scanning TGO if I wasn't as lucky, it's important to note that my child would be getting the care regardless, it's just that the costs would then be put onto all of us taxpayers whether we liked it or not and simultaneously adding to the drag on our economy.

On a side note (only 'cause it touches on the not so overt race issues we hear about in politics), my wife works in DHS, and the common demographics of who exactly is getting services or subsidies that are played in local politics are WAY off... unless you guessed it was 89% white/christian families getting services in the state of TN you'd be dead wrong as that is a fact.

Edited by CK1
In general the only thing wikipedia proves is that a keyboard will hold still for any moron to type on it. LOL

Seriously, it is a very flawed source and should never be trusted.

Agreed. I cited the Wiki as it's just plain convenient, however, the facts that are mentioned can be verified if one is willing to dig deeper.

Sorry no need to answer I re-read your post, we are suppost happily go along with

Obamacare opps, Healthcare Reform. It would be one thing if it was about reforming

the healthcare system. It is not it is the biggest power grab by Federal Government in our lifetime. It is about control and nothing else, and I don't feel like giving up anymore of my freedom.

So what's you point CK1, you want us to stop voting Rebuplican, and join the Happy Marxist Party, or just stop voting all together.

No.

Think my point is that there is a significant portion of our local communities whose political views are being formed more by fiction than fact, and that one should be careful that some of the "passion" that is out there isn't a product of manipulation... Just pointing out that there are actual strategies at work that were designed and have been proven to do such things.

Understand what you are saying about the Reagan spending BUT the concept of smaller gov't isn't a trick or strategy; it's the constitution and the wisdom of our founding fathers. They (the people who had "been there, done that" living under kings and tyrants) knew that big gov't IS inherently evil (if not from the start, it becomes so). I've made the same argument against the "patriot act" for years. If the people give too much power to gov't (regardless of who is CURRENTLY in control), eventually someone will be in charge who will use the very same power against the people. It's just the way it is. So, if you think ANY big gov't is good, you and I will never agree: Not that I think you will lose any sleep over it.:rolleyes:

Any gov't big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.

No.

Think my point is that there is a significant portion of our local communities whose political views are being formed more by fiction than fact, and that one should be careful that some of the "passion" that is out there isn't a product of manipulation... Just pointing out that there are actual strategies at work that were designed and have been proven to do such things.

O guess its only the evil racist Rebuplicanas that have strategies to manipulate the voter, gosh couldn't you have at least posted Rules for Radical by Saul Alinski as a Democratic strategy.

Not trying to cause an argument, just putting this out there as I have noticed that the political climate these days is getting to be more about picking a side rather than really working towards solutions that are good for everybody... there are old tricks at work that have been dusted off and are being put back in action, that's all.

A funny way of putting it would be a comment I've heard before: "Don't believe everything you think".

I can already see that this discussion is going south (no pun intended :rolleyes:) so I'd prefer to let it lie and go back to talking about why 1911's are better than Glocks that are better than 1911's etc....

Cheers guys. ;)

Edited by CK1
...without putting a hat in either ring, I can say as a new parent with a newborn who's been in the NICU unit for 7 days and counting that I'm thankful that I can afford health insurance and that I'm lucky enough that my wife works for the state of TN which gives us access to a really good policy, because at over $12,000 per day in costs I'd be looking up filing for bankruptcy protection rather scanning TGO if I wasn't as lucky, it's important to note that my child would be getting the care regardless, it's just that the costs would then be put onto all of us taxpayers whether we liked it or not and simultaneously adding to the drag on our economy.

My son was in ICU for three days, a reg room for another when he was diagnosed with Type I. I have good insurance, but I am still paying the bills. With no interest, direct to the doctors and hospital. They have been great! We have payment plans. We had to cut back, but that is life.

This is a power grab. Plain and simple. If you really think any politician stays up late at night worrying about your child or mine... I would suggest that you are wrong. They do not know you or me, nor do they care.

I typically don't get involved here about political philosophies... and I fear I will regret posting to this thread.

I typically don't get involved here about political philosophies... and I fear I will regret posting to this thread.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. :rolleyes:

the political climate these days is getting to be more about picking a side rather than really working towards solutions that are good for everybody... there are old tricks at work that haven't been dusted off and are being put back in action, that's all.

I agree completely. Nobody votes the issues anymore...just sides. That is so stupid and the politicians on both sides love us for it.

I agree with you about politicians trying to manipulate us, but I also think this "southern strategy" is BS.

If folks would just apply the same common sense to politics as they do to choosing an auto mechanic, maybe things would get better.

Unfortunately, it seems that there is a "cult of a title" today. Too many people blindly accept pure garbage from other people just because "he's a doctor/lawyer/preacher/whatever"! He/she may also be the dumbest doctor who ever pooped between a pair of boots! Use your brain, folks!

The easiest way to figure out who is pushing something, is to find out who profits by it.

Sorry CK1....this country spent 40 plus years fighting the Marxist.

They can only deceive with words, their actions prove their intent.

The shady decietful way they handled this and passed it tells me all

I need to know.

The Marxist have nothing they can offer me that will change how i feel

or cause me to alter or abandon my beliefs.

Edited by Hgunner
Think my point is that there is a significant portion of our local communities whose political views are being formed more by fiction than fact

Unlike the liberals on the west coast that only get facts from their politicians, completely void of hyperbole or personal opinion? No, the fact is both sides play the same card, just in different games. Like Pelosi calling the Tea Party movement "Astroturf" and "Tea Baggers."

and that one should be careful that some of the "passion" that is out there isn't a product of manipulation... Just pointing out that there are actual strategies at work that were designed and have been proven to do such things.

It's all a product of manipulation. Like people thinking that the Federal Reserve is federal, or a reserve. It is neither, but politicians on both sides will call it a government agency. Both are wrong.

Not trying to cause an argument, just putting this out there as I have noticed that the political climate these days is getting to be more about picking a side rather than really working towards solutions that are good for everybody... there are old tricks at work that have been dusted off and are being put back in action, that's all.

A funny way of putting it would be a comment I've heard before: "Don't believe everything you think".

I can already see that this discussion is going south (no pun intended ;)) so I'd prefer to let it lie and go back to talking about why 1911's are better than Glocks that are better than 1911's etc....

Cheers guys. :)

Too late. :rolleyes:

I can already see that this discussion is going south (no pun intended :)) so I'd prefer to let it lie and go back to talking about why 1911's are better than Glocks that are better than 1911's etc....

Cheers guys. :D

Glocks suck ;) and 1911's rock :rolleyes:

Just Kiddin'