Guest 270win

I read somewhere a guy purposefully openly carried his handgun at the post office to be a test case and he became a test case. He was fined fifty bucks by a federal magistrate for breaking a postal reg. Not bad...but I'd keep it concealed...kind of like any other govt property..just less to worry about whether legal or not...doesn't sound like you'd go to prison..but just the hassle of going to court is enough to make me conceal. The fifty dollar fine is a slap on the wrist though..which is nice if worst comes to worst.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm actually a mail carrier and a hcp holder so i have done a lot of reading and researching on this topic. There has been a court case, United States v. Dorosan where a mail carrier was charged for having a weapon locked inside his vehicle while in the parking lot of the post office. they found out about it because he had left a bag of his in the PO and someone opened it to see whos it was and they found a couple empty shell cases. He gave them permission to search his car and they found his weapon. He was charged and basically if he wants to keep a gun in his vehicle he has to park elsewhere. Here's a link, and from a link on that page you can see some stuff from the case. US Postal Service enforces gun ban in public parking lots

i see what you are saying, i didn't pay attention to the headline. well i guess its more relevant to me, who parks in a non public lot, than customers of the PO

geeze louise so much confusion..I didn't end up carrying when I went in the other day. I left it in my car(I realize still illegal).

geeze louise so much confusion..I didn't end up carrying when I went in the other day. I left it in my car(I realize still illegal).

I carry IWB. I'm usually on foot when I go to the P.O.

I try not to pull my TN legal pocketknife out in there either.

- OS

I carry IWB. I'm usually on foot when I go to the P.O.

I try not to pull my TN legal pocketknife out in there either.

- OS

What is the legal length for carrying a pocket knife? I know that I violate that rule everyday. However, as I am getting older and have no desire to go to jail I will get into compliance as soon as I get a response.

Guest 270win

The guy in the article EastTenn referenced got popped with a Postal Reg violation. The thing is basically a traffic ticket...fifty bucks. I'm not advocating breaking the law...but it isn't much of a penalty...and i'm not even sure if it is a real criminal offense. He was caught by not keeping his handgun on his person. Keep it on your person when at the P.O. and concealed and you don't have to worry about writing a fifty dollar check! Then again...the P.O. employees would have to call postal inspectors to come cite you for this silly reg violation...about like smoking in a post office...so I don't think I'm going to lose a lot of sleep over it in TN.

The guy from Bristol did not care about the ban when he went into the post office in Wytheville, VA a few months ago and took hostages. He didn't kill anyone, but the point is he could have. As long as bad guys carry weapons into places that have forbidden them, so will I. I cannot defend myself, my family, my friends, and innocent bystanders if my legally owned and possessed firearm is not on my person. The only exceptions I make are in cases where metal detectors are used. Typically, in those places, there are armed LEO/security types, and I place my faith and security in there hands for those brief instances.

As badly as the PO treats it's employees, they try to ban any weapons in any postal facility for good reason.

I can't remember when a PO employees or supervisors got killed by a patron, but lots of them get killed by disgruntled employees/former employees.

As an aside, the cashier at M.E. liquor at the Costco in W. Nashville still thinks that a sign(out of date, non compliant) prohibiting handguns will keep her from being robbed/assaulted. Sure are a lot of dumb people in this world. If stupidity were painful, most anti-gunners would be on a morphine drip.