2009: Nearly half of US households escape fed income tax

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mostly us working poor get stuck with the bill, as usual

Actually, the linked article points out that 73% of income tax is paid by the top 10% of income earners.

The thing is, there's a helluva lot of taxes out there besides income tax, and we all pay those. The sales tax paid by the working poor is a much larger percentage of their annual income than that paid by the top 10%, for example.

Guest 6.8 AR
Fair Tax.

It's so simple, so effective, so well ... fair.

But it takes away gummit control over the individual, and allows pols to tweak code for votes, so it will never happen.

- OS

For a tax, it's about as fair as you can get. I would

love to see it happen, and see the IRS go down.:P

Guest c.a.s.
The gubmint appreciates your interest free loan.

I put in almost $1000 in income tax, medicare, and social security, but only got $159 back (just the Income Tax).

Where does that put me?

Did I mention I only made $3000 last year?

Don't think we will actually be paying any in income taxes this year. But we are also building up a small business and are smart in how we pay ourselves to get the lowest taxable amount possible. But let's be honest. Even though many people do not pay "income tax" does not mean they are not paying Federal Taxes. Every time you buy something in the store, about 20% of the item's cost is embedded business taxes. So take your visa bills from last year and figure up what 20% of what you spent on that is... I've spent something like $20k in hidden taxes over the past two years that could have been spent much better on my business thank giving it to the idiots in washington.

Matthew

Let's not forget many of us pay TN state income tax too, in this "no income tax" state, on interest, dividends, etc.

I overpaid federal taxes on quarterlies last year, but had to write the state a check for $450.

- OS

Be delusional if you want too, A fair tax, a flat tax, a what ever you want to call it tax will not fix the problems with the Fed Gov or the current tax structure. The founding fathers spelled out in the Constitution how the Fed Gov. was to rasie it's revenue, That's what should be adhered too. However this will result in a drastic and needed reduction in the size and power of the Fed Gov, and return power to the states. The Federal reserve should also be abolished as it is not Federal and is not a Reserve,it was created in the dark of night by and is owned by 12 private member banks. The Constitution gave the Congress the power to coin and create money

not the privately owned Federal Reserve Bank.

Be delusional if you want too, A fair tax, a flat tax, a what ever you want to call it tax will not fix the problems with the Fed Gov or the current tax structure.

But that's the beauty of the FairTax. Yeah, it won't straight up by law stop the spending. However, I firmly believe that it will by showing people, especially the avg american, how much they ACTUALLY pay in taxes and they will hopefully step up and stop the spending. Knowledge is power and it should give people PLENTY of knowledge when they see $15 tax on a $50 bill. Not to mention that you will be able to speak very loudly by simply not spending any money or by buying items used.

Matthew

But that's the beauty of the FairTax. Yeah, it won't straight up by law stop the spending. However, I firmly believe that it will by showing people, especially the avg american, how much they ACTUALLY pay in taxes and they will hopefully step up and stop the spending. Knowledge is power and it should give people PLENTY of knowledge when they see $15 tax on a $50 bill. Not to mention that you will be able to speak very loudly by simply not spending any money or by buying items used.

Matthew

If "the average American" cannot look at their paystub, and their 1040 and figure out what they are paying in taxes, a Fair Tax isn't going to give them anymore gray matter.

Yeah they are going to get their beloved Fair Tax in the form of a VAT, I just wonder what the rate will be. And will this be before or after they raid your 401K or IRA's. In Denmark in 1993 the VAT was 28%. That's 28% tax on every Kroner you spent.

If "the average American" cannot look at their paystub, and their 1040 and figure out what they are paying in taxes, a Fair Tax isn't going to give them anymore gray matter.

We're basically at the point where the 'Average American' isn't paying any federal income taxes anyway, so why would they want a fair tax?

A flat percentage or consumption tax would wake much of the sleeping population up as they would start to demand for some semblance of responsibility regarding spending on the federal level. Right now the average Joe doesn't care as it doesn't cost him a dime no matter how much the federal government spends.

It will never happen, especially nowadays, but we should have made it where if you don't pay federal income tax, you cannot vote in federal elections.

It will never happen, especially nowadays, but we should have made it where if you don't pay federal income tax, you cannot vote in federal elections.

Exactly. It's only logical that the people that do not pay federal income tax will vote for higher taxes on those of use that do pay them. Their money has to come from us as taxpayers, so the more the government takes from us to give to them the better off they are. In '09 "nearly half of US households" were in that group, so before long there will be MORE than half in that group, and that will make us as taxpayers powerless to vote against higher taxes.

We're basically at the point where the 'Average American' isn't paying any federal income taxes anyway, so why would they want a fair tax?

A flat percentage or consumption tax would wake much of the sleeping population up as they would start to demand for some semblance of responsibility regarding spending on the federal level. Right now the average Joe doesn't care as it doesn't cost him a dime no matter how much the federal government spends.

Originally voting was limited, but I agree, if you are recieveing any type of goverment aid, or you pay no net income taxes you don't vote. I see your point on the Fair Tax, why I have always been against a state income tax here in Tennessee, the sales tax is a fair tax. However the size and scope of the Federal Government must be drastically reduced, its not the type of tax its the amount they tax and thus spend. Deficit spending should be outlawed, except in time of national emergency. And the Feds should be reined in and forced out of the areas they have no business in.

I see your point on the Fair Tax, why I have always been against a state income tax here in Tennessee, the sales tax is a fair tax.

Exactly. People from other states are amazed that we pay tax on groceries, but it's a wash with no 'income tax'. It's a consumption tax, as it really should be.

However the size and scope of the Federal Government must be drastically reduced, its not the type of tax its the amount they tax and thus spend. Deficit spending should be outlawed, except in time of national emergency. And the Feds should be reined in and forced out of the areas they have no business in.

You're reading my mind, my man. Good points.