Beginner .22

I don't currently have a rifle and have been looking at some cheap .22 models to get started with target shooting. After reading some of the threads on here, it looks like Savage is a popular brand for this.

Dick's has a bolt-action Savage Mark II BXP (laminate body with scope) for $189.

Academy has a semi-auto Savage 64 FXP (synthetic body with scope) for $129. The 64 also lacks the AccuTrigger.

What's the difference here besides those already mentioned? Is the Mark II better than the 64 and worth the price difference?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you won't be disappointed with a Savage.

As a first rifle I see it as a no brainer to get a bolt rifle. If for no other reason than you will learn good habits with it. It will be more about a tight group, with a semi auto some people tend to get in the mode of fire as fast as possible. I have no opinion on laminate vs. polymer stock. But the accutrigger is a plus. The price of 189 seems pretty good considering it comes with a scope.

I own three Savage made .22's and am looking get another at some point. I am a fan boy of them for sure.

That is my humble opinion.

Edited by Mike.357

Like Mike said you wont be disappointed with a Savage. Personally for your first one I would go with the cheaper of the two. The one you listed with the AccuTrigger is a good deal, but if you haven't fired many rifles IMO you would be better off getting use to a standard trigger and then upgrading to one with the AccuTrigger later on. That could be argued the other way around though in that the AccuTrigger will help you shoot more accurately from the beginning.

the accu trigger is nice, but to be honest it is not a deal breaker for me. it does give the option of changing the feel of the trigger pull though. On the bolt rifle I shoot most often I have backed the trigger all the way off and also have put it always the way towards heavy. It feel best right where it came from the factory, adjusted in the middle.

The bolt is also available in polymer at Walmart for 137 I think. No accutriger but still a real good shooter.

I like shooting 22 - usually pistol, though. When I shoot rifle, 98 % of the time I leave the 10-22 behind and use my bolt gun. I have a lever action Henry that sees much more use than the ruger, and I doubt I've put more than a box of cartridges through the Henry in the last two years. Nope, for me a bolt is the way to go.

There is no performance difference between a plastic or laminate stock, its a matter of appearance only. As for the accu-trigger, they're nice, but unless you're a match level shooter it won't matter - just give you something else to fiddle with rather than concentrating on basics and enjoyment.

Auto gets old. Get a bolt gun, especially if it's your first. You want to ingrain yourself with shooting with precision and accuracy, rather than spraying and praying. Mark II Savage has excellent accuracy, right up there with the other big boys. What it lacks is refinement in the bolt action and trigger. A non-accutrigger Savage is fine, but you won't get single hole groups consistently at 50 yards that way. Trigger is simply too heavy. With my old non-accutrigger Savage, I was getting about quarter sized groups. Still not bad at all.

Me? I would spring for the BXP (or TR if you can find it) model from Dick's. At 189, you are getting a hell of a rifle for the price. Expect to pay 600+ for a comparable centerfire rifle. Or 350+ for a comparable rimfire.

If you are going to be shooting groups, as in target shooting, get the Accutrigger model. The biggest killer of decent groups is the trigger on most guns. You can get aftermarket triggers for the Savage but why when the Accutrigger is good enough for most people.

There are many other things to do to get a rifle shooting the best it can. Most important is testing various ammunition brands to find which one your rifle likes the best, all firearms are different. Make sure the barrel is free floated but slowly sanding away and places the barrel contacts the stock. Finally is to practice, practice and more practice.

Dolomite

Guest gcrookston
you won't be disappointed with a Savage.

That is my humble opinion.

Ditto. For a first rifle, a bolt action .22 would be ideal. A good 2nd choice is the Ruger 10/22 (my first gun that I received at the age of 11).

I only pick the Savage .22 bolt gun above the 10/22 because it requires fire discipline, is extremely accurate, very simple to operate and maintain and is an excellent stepping stone to larger caliber bolt guns (I currently own 3 savages: .223, .308, .300 winmag)... and I still have my 10/22, 36 years on...

:lol:

Edited by gcrookston

The grandkids' other "Army Gun." Savage MKIIF with Centre Point 3-9X Mildot Scope, Harris bipod and tactical sling. This is their "sniper rifle" Savage makes a really sturdy and reliable bolt action .22 and I consider it one of the best for a "starter" rifle.

645BB76BA29049119104333C1ABC75D2.jpg

Guest cheez

I will go right along side of those with the Savage bolt rifle for sure. The Accutrigger is a major plus because if the rifle has the standard trigger you might get discouraged with the horrible heavy pull.

Great. I'll be picking up a black synthetic bolt-action Mark II w/o sight from Wally World for $127. I like the black better than the brown, and for the $62 price difference between that one and the brown w/sight at Dick's, I think I can get a decent sight for it.

Any reccomendations there? I saw some at Wally and checked out a few at Academy too.

<<Wally prices>>

Bushnell 4x32 $29.97

Bushnell 3-9x40 $54.97

Tasco 3-9x40 $31.97

I liked the ones that had the adjustable magnification power. It seems like I could start at the max zoom, then as I get better, pull the view out to increase the challenge.

Assuming a $60-$70 budget, what would be a wise choice to mate with the Savage Mk2 bolt?

Edited by monkeylizard
Edit fer spellin

That rifle doesn't have iron sights anymore? It did when I got mine.

What sort of groupings are you wanting? Are you going to plink at gallon jugs at 10 yards? Or golf balls at 100 yards? A 3-9x40 is a fine general choice for a beginner rifle. Understand that the cheaper scopes are cheap for a reason. You'll have to adjust your zero when you zoom in and out. They're also bad at holding zero. But with a .22, those limitations aren't such a big deal. Ammo is cheap. You might go crazy the first few times out, wondering if there's something wrong with your rig or you. Probably both. But with time you'll figure it out. Just don't get a 40X scope as your first one.

I have three scopes i use on 22's. a BSA 3x9x32, a totally generic 3x9x40 and one that is fixed 4x32 I think.

None of them were expensive. 30 to 40 bucks. They all hold zero just fine. I have not seen any difference in point of aim and point of impact at any magnification.

When I bought my MK ll GL the guy tried to sell me a scope that cost three times what the rifle did. I laughed at him and asked where the less expensive scopes were. The BSA I picked out works great. Came with rings. I don't know but I am not spending 3 or 4 hundred dollars to punch paper from a 160 dollar rifle.

Dad and I were up at the range this past Sunday and a fella had an old ROTC training rifle (Kimber) .22lr single shot but he had a BSA scope on top of it and was shooting 1/2 " groups with it at 100 yds .The moral of the story you don't need a Zeiss or Leupold to shoot tight groups . I also agree with the bolt action you will be more inclined for the thrill of an accurate shot instead of the thrill of sending a lot of lead down range quickly.

All I have to contribute to this is this---- If you are going to scope a rifle, do it right the first time. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Concerning inherent rifle accuracy- you don't have to pay much to get an accurate .22lr. Increases in accuracy come at vastly diminishing returns relative to price.

Lots and lots of rimfire shooters on rimfirecentral.com recommend the scope I'm about to link, and for good reason. It's inexpensive, versatile, and easy to use. It's got a wider range of zoom than your average 3-9x. You are target shooting, not squirrel hunting, right?

Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 AO

APV 4.5–14×40 AO (black) •Â Mueller Optics

You can find this scope for around $115 easily.

So 2 recommendations:

1 - set the budget a little higher

2 - go for a higher top end magnification

That rifle doesn't have iron sights anymore? It did when I got mine.

What sort of groupings are you wanting? Are you going to plink at gallon jugs at 10 yards? Or golf balls at 100 yards?

I'm pretty sure it does have the iron sights, but I want a scope on it. I'm planning on mostly being on a 50 or 100 yard range (Stones River has both) and want to be able to get groupings inside the little 2" targets printed in the corners of the larger targets. I'll use the iron sights some, but I've never used a scoped rifle before. Thought this might be a fun one to start with.

I'll post back with what I decide on and maybe some pics too. That Harris bipod shown above does look pretty sweet. Does the Savage Mark II have the front swivel already in place or would I have to add one for a bipod to connect?

Edited by monkeylizard
I did but you'll have to take my word for it ........He was using rifle rests/sandbags though. next time ill take pics if I see him at the range again.

I suppose somebody somehwere can shoot that kind of group with a .22.

Please do take pics if he does it again. I am curious as to what ammunition he was using too.

That Harris bipod shown above does look pretty sweet. Does the Savage Mark II have the front swivel already in place or would I have to add one for a bipod to connect?

I believe all Savage .22's have a studs on them for a sling and bi pod.

Some models of their .22's do not have iron sights. For me that would be a deal breaker, it is fun to use them sometimes.

Mike, I have one that will do that, with Green Tag ammo. Remind me next time, I will haul it and a couple boxes of the good stuff out for you.

No, it ain't for sale. :P

that green tag ammo is like gold I guess, very difficult to find.

I can shoot an amazing one shot group with most any ammo. :devil: