Beginner .22

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away from the Remington gold bullet ammo. It's got to be the worst I've ever seen. There must not be any QC at all. I can here the difference . Some rounds crack while others only go pop and it doesn't group well.

Stay away from the Remington gold bullet ammo. It's got to be the worst I've ever seen. There must not be any QC at all. I can here the difference . Some rounds crack while others only go pop and it doesn't group well.

Agree, with the bulk boxes of it in the last 6 months or so.

Didn't seem to be any worse than others previous to this, though.

- OS

mike is an ammo snob!

Mike is an ammo snob!

LOL

My rimfires are so spoiled they try to escape if I sat g-o-l-d-e-n-b-u-l-l-et

A;sp that target from earlier in the post is a 25yd bench tarfet for rimfire. can be used at 50 if you are good, but never seen anybody try it at 100. 100 yd target is 1" black circles

As for the OP's last question, bipod is quick set up, least stable, rests are more adjustable quickly, and sandbags are the most stable, but least adjustable of the three.

Edited by HillbillyMafia
Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

Now I just need to figure out how to align the scope....

it is easy to align the scope right in your home. It will give you a very basic starting point to go by.

Remove the bolt. Then put the rifle in a vice or some such thing you can improvise to hold it completely steady. Look through the bore and out through the muzzle. Put a mark on the wall ( piece of tape or some such) where your line of sight through the bore looks. Then adjust the crosshairs on the scope to lay upon the same marking. It will not be 100% perfect but it will get you on paper at 50 yards. Then when you shoot actual rounds you can adjust it from there.

Note this will not work with semi auto rifles :)

and to add, yeah I am an ammo snob when it comes to .22's LOL

and to add, yeah I am an ammo snob when it comes to .22's LOL

You just about have to be with a .22. After tons of FTF's, FTE's, and about every other FT you can think of, as well as some accuracy issues, I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it to try to skimp on even .22 ammo anymore.

You just about have to be with a .22. After tons of FTF's, FTE's, and about every other FT you can think of, as well as some accuracy issues, I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it to try to skimp on even .22 ammo anymore.

Or you just modify your guns to fit the cheap ammo. A VQ extractor and I can run anything in my 10/22 and Ruger Standard.

I still use bulk ammo, but my expectations are a lot lower than when I shoot higher dollar target ammo that I have.

The bulk stuff is fine in semi autos for blasting away and keeping up a high rate of fire. Once the barrel gets warm the accuracy goes out the window anyway. But with one of the bolt rifles if I keep the rate of fire down and use good ammo I can get acceptable results, provided I do my part.

Or you just modify your guns to fit the cheap ammo. A VQ extractor and I can run anything in my 10/22 and Ruger Standard.

all my 22's run whatever ammo I elect to put through them, did not need any fancy after market parts.

The semi autos do get an occassional fail to feed but it is not often and not to the point of being a distraction

all my 22's run whatever ammo I elect to put through them, did not need any fancy after market parts.

The semi autos do get an occassional fail to feed but it is not often and not to the point of being a distraction

When I was young, I could say the same thing. After tens of thousands of rounds however, an 11 dollar part is hardly what I could call fancy. I could have probably stuck a stocker back in it and ran it for another 20,000 rounds.

The bulk stuff is fine in semi autos for blasting away and keeping up a high rate of fire.

I got some mediocre ammo (CCI Mini Mags) for sighting my scope in last week. After I got it dialed in pretty good, I only got to shoot about 50 rounds. My 16 yr old just loves it, so I let him have most of the fun this time. He must have shot up 350 rounds of Federal bulk ammo w/o a single issue.

What worries me about the cheap crap is squibs. QC is so bad, I can't believe it hasn't happened yet. That's why blasting away scares me. Am I being paranoid?

I got some mediocre ammo (CCI Mini Mags) for sighting my scope in last week. After I got it dialed in pretty good, I only got to shoot about 50 rounds. My 16 yr old just loves it, so I let him have most of the fun this time. He must have shot up 350 rounds of Federal bulk ammo w/o a single issue.

What worries me about the cheap crap is squibs. QC is so bad, I can't believe it hasn't happened yet. That's why blasting away scares me. Am I being paranoid?

Bothers me now and then too, especially when you get a particularly bad run of bulk, like the Golden Bullet has been lately.

Pow pow ptui pow ptui ptui pow pow ....

And yeah, shooting fast as a semi-auto simply demands sometimes, it could happen. Knock on wood that all those those thousands of ptui's have cleared the barrel so far.

- OS

I have only ever had one squib in my life ( knock on wood). And it was a .357

No matter how crappy the bulk .22's are they always clear the barrel.

what about subsconic rounds? Are they just primer driven anyway?

Edited by Mike.357
spelling
Remove the bolt. Then put the rifle in a vice or some such thing you can improvise to hold it completely steady. Look through the bore and out through the muzzle. Put a mark on the wall ( piece of tape or some such) where your line of sight through the bore looks. Then adjust the crosshairs on the scope to lay upon the same marking.

How? By using the knobs on the top and side of the scope, or should I be doing something with the screws on the rings?

n00b :tough:

How? By using the knobs on the top and side of the scope, or should I be doing something with the screws on the rings?

n00b :D

Oh my....

You need to meet with a fellow member at a range or place to shoot and let them give you a rundown of the gun and offer help with the scope. It will be more fun and you won't get frustrated with it. .22 shooting is better with 2 folks plinking anyways.

VQ parts as well as other upgrades didn't really make much difference at all in my main 10/22 and the failures I was having.

And Mike, I'm the exact opposite of you on what I will run the cheaper stuff through. In my bolt guns I don't seem to have anywhere near as many failures with the cheaper bulk ammo, and haven't really seen too many big accuracy issues in some of it. In the semi autos I simply hate failures myself.

n00b :D

LOL, sorry not laughing at you laughing with you.

Yes by using the knobs for elevation and windage. Its pretty easy.. Dunno where Bellevue is ( quick someone google that for me) or I would be happy to help out

In my bolt guns I don't seem to have anywhere near as many failures with the cheaper bulk ammo, and haven't really seen too many big accuracy issues in some of it. In the semi autos I simply hate failures myself.

the bolt rifle should feed much more reliably, it does not depend on the previous round to cycle the next one into the chamber. Most of the ammo I prefer to shoot will not cycle a semi auto reliably.

What bulk ammo are you using and not seeing accuracy issues? And define accuracy for me please as you see it.

For me and my Savage MkII GL I get best results using Golden Eagle 40 gr. target ammo. The little Savage mini youth likes these a lot as well and that rifle even with the shorter barrel is the most accurate rifle I have.

The two semi autos I use, a Glenfield Marlin Model 60 and a Stevens Model 62 prefer regular high velocity stuff to cycle reliably. The Model 60 is not overly accurate using any ammo, fine for plinking duty mind you. And will shoot minute of squirrel as long as the barrel is not hot. The Stevens shoots very accurately with the Golden Eagle but does not cycle reliably with it. Any bulk ammo makes either run fine. But once the barrels are hot you can throw accuracy out the window. I have found the Federal Champion 40 gr lead bullets are the most accurate bulk style ammo for me.

the bolt rifle should feed much more reliably, it does not depend on the previous round to cycle the next one into the chamber. Most of the ammo I prefer to shoot will not cycle a semi auto reliably.

What bulk ammo are you using and not seeing accuracy issues? And define accuracy for me please as you see it.

For me and my Savage MkII GL I get best results using Golden Eagle 40 gr. target ammo. The little Savage mini youth likes these a lot as well and that rifle even with the shorter barrel is the most accurate rifle I have.

The two semi autos I use, a Glenfield Marlin Model 60 and a Stevens Model 62 prefer regular high velocity stuff to cycle reliably. The Model 60 is not overly accurate using any ammo, fine for plinking duty mind you. And will shoot minute of squirrel as long as the barrel is not hot. The Stevens shoots very accurately with the Golden Eagle but does not cycle reliably with it. Any bulk ammo makes either run fine. But once the barrels are hot you can throw accuracy out the window. I have found the Federal Champion 40 gr lead bullets are the most accurate bulk style ammo for me.

The Federal bulk ammo and some Remington are the only two that I've tried. When I talk about the accuracy issues I'm mainly speaking of what I think is acceptable for me personally. As long as each hole touches @ 50 yards then I consider it close enough as far as bulk ammo goes. As far as the rifles go I only have one older model Remington to go by because the others that I have are single shot bolt action and don't see much use anymore, so maybe it's just that that particular gun fires really good, it's hard to say until I get another bolt action for more comparison. Either way I never seem to notice the issues with these that I do with the semi autos. On the semi auto side I have a stock 10/22, a 10/22 with the VQ bolt assembly, a Marlin 60, and even one of the AK-22's, and for whatever reason all of them have the same FTF issues unless I'm using good ammo. Also in the semi auto's I do get the occasional light round that only half fires and naturally there's no accuracy with those, but again for whatever reason those kinda rounds are common with the semi autos and rare with the bolt guns. Also like you say once the barrels get hot none of them are accurate anymore, but generally I swap back and forth enough during target shooting that they don't heat up too bad, and I also do some field cleaning after shooting for a while.

My whole opinion may be because of doing more shooting with the semi autos though, it's kinda hard to say because they all see about the same amount of shooting, except for the AK-22 which I really don't have much use for. Either way, I can stick to CCI or better ammo and not have any issues with any of them much as long as I keep them clean.

As long as each hole touches @ 50 yards then I consider it close enough as far as bulk ammo goes.
[/PHP]

you are the best shot I have ever heard of. I would love to shoot with you and see these results. I can no way in any shape, manner, or form get those results from bulk ammo.

You are my new hero.