SHTF Food Supplies

Costco - $799.99 after $200 OFF Shelf Reliance THRIVE

Wow, thats a long link, but saw this stuff on Costco.com and its normally $1000.00 Figured i might go in 4sies with some family members and spread it across the state at our different locations. Its basically astronaut food. Anyways talked to the company, everything is freeze dried or dehydrated. 25-30 year shelf life unopened and at worst 6mo.-1 year once opened. We figure its 1.5 months a couple worth of food once split up.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Its called Shelf Reliance on Costco.com if the link doesn't work.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with the product, but I was relieved to see "Shipping and handling included". Says it ships UPS. You might just have one really unhappy UPS driver. :D

The reviews don't look too bad other than one person complaining about there not being enough calories in it. Maybe add some M&M's to your stash??

Edited by kb4ns
Guest Tiny G

This is a great kit for most type of problems we may run into. Just not the ones where you have to bug-out. If you are "stuck" at home without power or any services for a few weeks this is the way to go. I even know people who have dipped into reserves like this because of economic problems (job loss).

Guest Tiny G

I tend to divide my prep into three categories. These are in order of importance.

1. A 72 hour kit for every person in the family, ready to go in a pack and easily grabbed and ready for the road in 10 seconds.

2. A three month supply of "every-day" type food and canned goods along with water for every person in the family. (rotate out boxed and canned goods to avoid passing expiration dates)

3. A one year supply of basic goods that can sustain life if needed.

This seems like a good set for #3. But last in my priority list.

Well, we pulled the trigger on it and are going to split it 4 ways. I will probably supplement certain items since splitting it 4 ways doesn't exactly work easily. I guess if Memphis has that earthquake I'll be able to fend for myself in my house for a little while and pick off the Memphians flooding east. Might purchase one extra can to crack open and see if its actually any good.

While were talking about the SHTF stuff, anyone have good suggestions on high calorie short term food supply? I have some of the Datrex survival bars, but it sure is a fair amount of weight and size for a measly 2000 calories.

Guest Dragonman

Keep in mind a couple things, TVP= texturized vegtable protein (means the "meat" is made from plant stuff and has meat flavoring added), the "portions" they are probably referring to are probably much smaller than you're accustomed to so won't go as far as you're expecting, and lastly, big difference between freeze dried and dehydrated. Freeze dried stuff ya just throw some water in and it's good to go. Dehydrated requires cooking. Big difference that is often not noticed.

"Eat what you store, store what you eat".

That's a basic tenet among preppers.

If the SHTF, you'll REALLY appreciate having decent food around for a month or six. While packs like this are easy to buy, I believe you're better off taking the same amount of cash and buying long term stuff that you eat daily (rice, canned veggies, dried pasta, canned tuna and chicken, etc).

But if you want 'easy', you can't beat this...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redbarron06

All of that is fine and good if you have a unlimited access to clean water. Almost everything on the list needs water to prepair and some like the rice and beans will need a great amount of water. If you jammed all of this stuff into the back of a pickup truck you may not have room for enough water to make it all.

Sombody mentioned the Datrex survival rations. I am not sure which ones you have but Datrex is one of the only manufactures that make USCG approved survival rations. I have some of thier rations that are rounghy the size of 3decks of cards that are 3600 calories and dont need water. For short term (up to a week) that would be my choice or some other approved marine ration. For any peroid longer than that I am going to be looking for a sourse of fresh meat to agument dried goods like pasta, rice and beans.

Do those things work on sea/salt water?

No, they make a separate ($$$) unit for desalination.

Luckily, no salt water around here (well, nearby pool is saline, but it's not included in my number above).

Yah, we have some 120,000 gallons of water within 100' of our house in swimming pools.

Besides our own water store, of course.

I've asked before and no one seemed to know for sure. Will filters make pool water safe to drink? Pools have some pretty strong chemicals in them.

Glenn

I've asked before and no one seemed to know for sure. Will filters make pool water safe to drink? Pools have some pretty strong chemicals in them.

Nah, primarily just chlorine. Let it sit for a bit and most of the chlorine will evaporate. I'd boil it.

Edited to add - sorry, forgot your question. Some water filters will remove dissolved minerals and chemicals, but they have to have a charcoal filter to do so. Since chlorine evaporates into the air, especially when the water is heated, leaving chlorinated water in the sun for a while will allow most of the chlorine to dissipate. I'd boil it as there are other things in pools besides the chlorine (think of kids swimming) that I'd prefer removing...

Also, Katadyn makes a nice little carbon cartridge you can add to your filter: http://www.rei.com/product/709006

Edited by crimsonaudio

Our pool is Baquacill, not chlorine. It also contains algicide, ph adjuster, and hydrogen peroxide shock. I wrote the company hat makes the chemicals and they just said don't swallow more than the little you get while swimming.

Glenn

Guest KarlS

I'm assuming when you're talking about no water you've either bugged out or have city water. What about a well? If you don't have one drive a point and tap in to a supply. Do it now and get it tested. If you have a well like many of us here, we've run pvc down the well casing and capped it off with a hand pump in case of SHTF.

I consider dryed or freeze dried food just part of what's needed in a food supply. It is important for long term storage. We've found some great product sources and will be ordering some test meals shortly.

In this neighborhood their are sufficient springs on property or within walking distance so no worry. The well has a 1gpm minimum overflow that keeps the pond full which is stocked with fish for a meat source.

BTW: Stills do a good job of purifying water or any other evaporation device. A tarp stretched out above the ground will provide sufficient water even in the desert where I used to live and learned survival techniques.

Guest redbarron06
I'm assuming when you're talking about no water you've either bugged out or have city water. What about a well? If you don't have one drive a point and tap in to a supply. Do it now and get it tested. If you have a well like many of us here, we've run pvc down the well casing and capped it off with a hand pump in case of SHTF.

I consider dryed or freeze dried food just part of what's needed in a food supply. It is important for long term storage. We've found some great product sources and will be ordering some test meals shortly.

A well would be great as long as you have the ability to operate it manually and are not dependant on eletricity.