Found a place in Memphis!

Guest BigNoise

Guest BigNoise

So, many of you have given me advice on where to live in Memphis. This weekend my future wife and I (48 days!) went to her school orientation and we signed a lease at Island Park, Mud Island, woo woo!! Thanks for all of your help, and I hope to see some of you guys soon!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigNoise

Just the comments I was looking for! especially the rape one, I'm sure the lady will love that after dropping our deposit! Honestly, after talking to all the current pharmacy and med school students, I feel pretty safe on the island. Thats not to say I won't be carrying my G27 though. But in reality, we had to make a sacrifice between location and "safety". We concluded that since the island is a 10 minute drive from the pharmacy school and is pretty safe we made a decision. Quick question, I have heard that the Walmart in West Memphis is pretty sketchy, but its so freaking convenient, is it really that bad?

Congrats. You made a good choice. I have found that a lot of these guys freak out over everything. You would think that if you don't live in their neighborhood you are going to be a victim of crime just by opening your eyes in the morning. Live a clean life and watch your six regardless where you are and all will be well. Welcome to Memphis.

The Wal-Mart in West Memphis is like any other Wal-Mart. It attracts the low levels of society. That being said I love Wal-Mart, and in the age before the internet used to go to the West Memphis one to get my Arkansas hunting license every year.

Bottom line: it's fine.

As to the living on the Island. It's really the safest place to live anywhere near downown. One of my coworkers lived there for years by herself and never had any trouble at all. Just make sure you learn where to go and where not to go when you leave the island.

• Moderators

The Island is fine and like most decent neighborhoods in Memphis no more than 2 blocks from the ghetto. Situational awareness is key here. Know where you are, and where you are going and you will be fine.

As far as Wal-mart in West Memphis, it isn't any sketchier than any other wally world with the exception that you do have a higher number of tweakers running around the joint, but eh, it's Arkansas, that should be expected. That wal-mart may not be as convenient as it initially appears due to the construction going on with the interstates. Far too much one lane super slow traffic. It may be just as fast to head out to one of the wally world's out east.

Guest 270win

If you are doing anything on the Arkansas side of the bridge and need a quick meal, go to the Tops BBQ in Marion. It is one of the many restaurants that are out of Memphis. Pretty good quick BBQ and great made to order burgers. There is a little grocery store by Tops BBQ in Marion. If you can find anything to do in Marion VS West Memphis...do it up there. It's like going from night to day. Marion is a fast growing little town.

The Wal Mart in West Memphis isn't the greatest but will do for what you need...and honestly nothing in West Memphis is. I am from Little Rock and we call West Memphis the armpit of the state. On a side note....beer is sometimes cheaper in Arkansas because you can get it in 30 packs and you can get it in the liquor stores (everything is sold in liquor stores in AR..one stop shops for coke, ice,candy and alcohol)...also the Walgreens on Missouri Street sells beer, wine, and liquor.

Guest BigNoise
The Wal-Mart in West Memphis is like any other Wal-Mart. It attracts the low levels of society. That being said I love Wal-Mart, and in the age before the internet used to go to the West Memphis one to get my Arkansas hunting license every year.

Bottom line: it's fine.

As to the living on the Island. It's really the safest place to live anywhere near downown. One of my coworkers lived there for years by herself and never had any trouble at all. Just make sure you learn where to go and where not to go when you leave the island.

So where do we NOT want to go? I wish they issued you a map when you got there of places not to go!

Guest BigNoise
The Island is fine and like most decent neighborhoods in Memphis no more than 2 blocks from the ghetto. Situational awareness is key here. Know where you are, and where you are going and you will be fine.

As far as Wal-mart in West Memphis, it isn't any sketchier than any other wally world with the exception that you do have a higher number of tweakers running around the joint, but eh, it's Arkansas, that should be expected. That wal-mart may not be as convenient as it initially appears due to the construction going on with the interstates. Far too much one lane super slow traffic. It may be just as fast to head out to one of the wally world's out east.

So maybe Germantown?

I would think your next closest Wally World might be Austin Peay. I'd stick with W. Memphis :hiding:

As far as safety, it's all relative anywhere in Memphis. You should be fine on the island, but like a previous poster said, situational awarenes is the key anywhere you are.

• Moderators
So maybe Germantown?

Actually, if I lived downtown, I'd most likely take 55 to the one in Southaven. about 20-25 minutes once you get on 240. Plus, lower sales tax and if you decide to grab a bite to eat you don't have to worry about whether the place serves alcohol or not.

As far as places not to go, that's the easy part. You will learn that pretty quick, much more fun is learning the places TO go. When you get into town, throw me a PM and the wife and I would love to show you and your Mrs. some of our favorite little spots to eat and the more interesting sights around town (Graceland will not be on our tour, sorry).

Guest db99wj
Actually, if I lived downtown, I'd most likely take 55 to the one in Southaven. about 20-25 minutes once you get on 240. Plus, lower sales tax and if you decide to grab a bite to eat you don't have to worry about whether the place serves alcohol or not.

As far as places not to go, that's the easy part. You will learn that pretty quick, much more fun is learning the places TO go. When you get into town, throw me a PM and the wife and I would love to show you and your Mrs. some of our favorite little spots to eat and the more interesting sights around town (Graceland will not be on our tour, sorry).

Not a bad idea, traffic sucks butt on Goodman road, but they got everything right at Goodman and the interstate.

I like the island, good choice. The park that runs along the river can and will disappear from time to time when the river level is up. Kind of neat being down there when the park is underwater!

Guest BigNoise

I am gonna take you up on that! Our move in date is June 30th, which gives us about a month before her school starts.

I lived in harbor town for several years and have friends that live down there now in houses. Like everyone else has said, it's great but like anywhere in Memphis know your surroundings. I grew up in West Memphis and the Wal Mart is fine. Miss Cordelias is a little small grocery on the island but is overpriced; useful for the quick gotta have something. There used to be a little movie rental/pizza shop right near the grocery too. That was always a good place to eat.