deciding on a shoulder rig

im in the market for getting a new shoulder holster for my carry xd service.so tell me whats a good one people?I need one thats very secure and wont flip flop around on me.would prefer a vertical rig(dont have to be) dont like the ones with belt straps on the weak side or the cheap nylon pieces-o-crap.would prefer one with out mag holster.

nobody sells these good rigs local(sportsman whse does but not for the xd) and dont know any boby that uses one so im stuck with online hearsay so any coments on what you use or dont like would be helpful.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
If it were me, i'd go with the Galco Jackass, but that's mostly based on online hearsay.

Aye... go with the Galco Jackass Rig, Miami Classic, or Miami Classic II systems... depending on how you want it setup (horizontal, diagonal, etc). With the tie-down options, for off-side and/or gun-side, it will eliminate the "flopping around" that you mention... but they aren't necessary.

Guest Halfpint

I have a Miami Classic for my USP Compact, I like it but am considering picking up the Classic II harness--the wider straps distribute the load better and make it a better all-day rig. I use the tie-downs, they really make it more comfortable and less likely to whack you in the ribs when you're moving. Most of the time I carry IWB in a Mitch Rosen ARG but there are times when only a shoulder rig is discreet.

I considered the Classic II magazine pouch but after trying it I found two things: 1.) The magazines are more accessible and better oriented to the way my hand naturally moves, and 2.) it's harder to hide the magazines when positioned horizontally. A lot of that might have something to do with the fact I'm 5'5 and in good shape--not a lot of "extra" room to hide things. But anyway, it's a trade-off.

So, overall, I like the Miami Classic, just thinking about the Classic II harness.

Guest EasilyObsessed

I use a Galco Miami Classic throughout the winter. Great harness, but I will agree with Halfpint, go with the Classic II for the wider straps. I use the harness for both a Beretta 92 and a Glock 27. The Glock 27 works far better in the holster because of the shorter length. If you plan on going with a gun with a long slide, consider carrying it vertical instead of horizontal or you are going to get a pretty good amount of printing (assuming you are "normal" sized).

And go for the tiedowns if you dont want it to flop around on you.

I've got a Miami Classic II for my XD Service. And it's very comfortable. I have trouble concealing it well though, probably because my jackets were tailored for right hip carry, rather than a shoulder rig. Tie-downs on both sides are the only way I can keep it from smacking me in the ribs as I move around during the day. Oddly enough, and probably due to the cut, my mag carrier conceals better than the pistol.

Guest Boomhower
A lot of that might have something to do with the fact I'm 5'5 and in good shape--not a lot of "extra" room to hide things.

How's that for being decreet?.......:) j/k

Guest Boomhower

Actually, I've thought about buying a shoulder rig and trying one out. The reason I carry IWB, is because I am a very hot blooded american. I usually wear short sleeves all year long. I just throw on a coat when I go outside in the winter. Therein lies my problem. While I am inside, it usually takes me just a few min. before I have to take the coat off. Then what do you do with a shoulder rig?....If I bought one, it would see very limited use, but would still be neat to have one for just those situations.

Anybody used or heard any feedback on the Galco X-Project holster. I know it's kydex, but looks like it might work and be pretty comfortable under the shirt. Just a thought.

i have one,it works and is comforable when worn under a polo and over a t-shirt.the tshirt keeps it from rubing you raw and the polo(or any other shirt)keeps the holster in place and hides the torso strap,but i need one i can throw on and leave the house in a jiff without haveing to change clothes.

the belt holster works great and keeps your cw secure without useing the trigger strap which allows for quick draw.it has adjustable cant,and tension.the price is worth the belt holster alone.heres where i got mine(a lil cheaper then galcos site)http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-x-project-holster-system.html

Guest Mugster
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/shoulder_bbii.htm

Here is a link from CTD. They have a few should holsters.

I took a tanker style holster off of Tower a few months ago. It is for a 1911 and I like it a lot. Loops over your neck and under the left arm. Fairly discrete with some sort of button down shirt for a cover.

That is probably an M7 shoulder holster, USGI, for the 1911 standard sized pistol. It is supposed to be worn on the outside of your clothes, but it works well enough under something loose. It has the distinct advantage that worn properly, you can climb up into a tree and wrestle with a raccoon, and your pistol will not fall out. It is also very comfortable for all day carry, especially while driving. A quick draw is difficult in this rig. You cannot get your middle finger jammed up under the pistol grip very well. Even so, I highly recommend it if your pistol fits.

Here's a couple of aftermarket sources and pics:

http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/holsters/pcl_56_r.htm

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0024490.shtml

I'm not really big on shoulder rigs, but have used them and even drawn for real from one years ago.

If I used one much, I'd probably put big bucks in a good one, but I use it so seldom that I use an Uncle Mike's Sidekick Vertical Shoulder Holster. Works just fine. I DO NOT like the Pro-Pak design.

I much prefer the vertical design to the horizontal. If things start looking strange, I flip off the retention strap and let gravity handle keeping the pistol in the holster.