Talk to me about amateur shortwave radio

And why I mentioned PLB's in a PM.

The sat phones look like a good deal. PLB's can generate a location beacon if you're unable to make a scheduled contact. It all depends on how much of a boy scout you are. ;)

Edited by enfield
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an emergency situation, ther only difference between a broken radio and a radio that won't transmit due to protection circuitry is that, in the latter case, your heirs get a functioning radio.

That's not where i was going. It will keep you from zorching the radio while you're tuning the antennas. A foldback circuit just rolls the power back to a safe vswr level. I think you're talking about a vswr trip circuit, which kills the final.

And why I mentioned PLB's in a PM.

The sat phones look like a good deal. PLB's can generate a location beacon if you're unable to make a scheduled contact. It all depends on how much of a boy scout you are. ;)

Good for a trip to the boonies. David also mentioned a SHTF scenario. That why ham radio exists. But, as you said, there's a learning curve.

Guest ScottD

David, as a tech the 10m portion of the FT-8900 will do you zero good. Techs can't operate FM on 10m. If you are interested in a good mobile radio, take a look @ the FT-8800. It's a dual band (2m/70cm) radio. I run the Kenwood TM-D700A in the car. I use one band for APRS, and the other for phone.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm in La Vergne, so I'm close enough to show off some stuff for you. Just shoot me a PM.

-Scott

KJ4CTS

Guest AlzRuger

TGO David, Ham Radio is a great hobby. I have well over 30 years in it, hold an Extra Class ticket, (as does my wife), 3rd Phone at age 14, and 1st Phone at 17. I am also a W5WI and a ARRL VE. My wife and I attend 35 to 40 Hamfest a year. The radio you have picked is a nice radio, but as others have said, the 6 meter, and 10 meter band will not be bands that you will use very often. Most activity on those bands will be SSB. The FT8900 is FM only. I also recommend considering a dual-band (144/440) radio, and save some dollars to put toward an HF rig, if you continue the hobby.

If you need testing info, let me know. I will be glad to help.

Guest Straight Shooter

WARNING!!!!

When using a C.B. radio...PLEASE dont do it with children, ladies, or easily offended people within earshot!!

As a former OTR truck driver for 13 years, the CB has become almost unusable due to IDIOT truckers with nothing better to do but get on there and cuss, fuss, GIVE BAD INFO, sing, preach, play sound effects,ect., ect. It long ago became nearly useless. Got to where Id go days on the road with mine cut off. I know nothing about HAM radio, but I prat it isnt the same way.

AGAIN....be careful who's around while on a CB.

WARNING!!!!

When using a C.B. radio...PLEASE dont do it with children, ladies, or easily offended people within earshot!!

As a former OTR truck driver for 13 years, the CB has become almost unusable due to IDIOT truckers with nothing better to do but get on there and cuss, fuss, GIVE BAD INFO, sing, preach, play sound effects,ect., ect. It long ago became nearly useless. Got to where Id go days on the road with mine cut off. I know nothing about HAM radio, but I prat it isnt the same way.

AGAIN....be careful who's around while on a CB.

I can tell you, as someone who is currently a truck driver, nothing has changed. I keep the volume on the C.B. turned down unless I need to use it.

• Administrator

Thanks for the helpful info, guys. I'm starting to lean toward the FT-7900R instead simply because it is dual-band, less expensive, and capable of handling the bands I'd use initially.

Guest ScottD
Thanks for the helpful info, guys. I'm starting to lean toward the FT-7900R instead simply because it is dual-band, less expensive, and capable of handling the bands I'd use initially.

David,

I have the FT-7800 in the shack. It is the precursor to the 7900. If you don't mind only having one band running at a time (unlike the FT-8800, or the TM-D700 which can monitor 2 frequencies simultaneously), it's a great radio.

I run FT 7800's in both vehicles. They are good radios. You can also monitor most public safety freqs (unless it's trunked nashville etc).

I usually buy from gigaparts.com they are located in Huntsville and have good service.

I run FT 7800's in both vehicles. They are good radios. You can also monitor most public safety freqs (unless it's trunked nashville etc).

I usually buy from gigaparts.com they are located in Huntsville and have good service.

I'll add a +1 for gigaparts. Great service and they're usually the best priced.

I can tell you, as someone who is currently a truck driver, nothing has changed. I keep the volume on the C.B. turned down unless I need to use it.

I don't even put one in my truck. I personally feel there is no good use for one anymore.

• Administrator
WARNING!!!!

Whereas amateur radio is still a licensed service and the FCC can and will get involved in shutting down someone engaging in illegal activities, of which profanity on the air is one, I'd say the odds of being subjected to that sort of material on shortwave are pretty slim.

Guest ScottD

HRO is where I do most my ordering from. They have warehouses all over, including one in ATL. Ordered a new antenna tuners for my HF rig the other day, they had it @ the ATL warehouse, got it next day, free shipping.

As a Tech there is only a small portion of the 10meter band you can use so the 8900R may be a little bit overkill.

The FT-7900 I agree would fit your needs nicely. Someone else mentioned cross-band repeat feature, the 7900 doesn't have this. With the cross-band repeat feature you could park on a hill, the radio in the vehicle would receive on the 2 meter band (144-148mhz) and retransmit on 70cm (420-450mhz), you could then receive and transmit via a 70cm hand-held. I imagine this would be useful while exploring and hiking away from the vehicle. for this would need the 8800R.

Depending on your elevation and antenna 2m 70cm mobile radios can usually only do about 30 to 50 miles, less in low lying or mountainous areas. Sometimes more for instance I like to take trips to Mt Mitchell NC park on top of the mountain and I can hit several states if I can hit far off repeaters just right. On simplex (not using a repeater direct radio to radio) I can hit over 100 miles

I have a FT-2800M in the truck as well as in the house. On the truck I have a Larsen 5/8th wave NMO Mount antenna. I live in the Tri-Cities near Bristol and I have no problem hitting all the repeaters in the Tri-Cities area. At home I have a homemade 2m copper J-pole with slightly better results.

If you are mounting to a vehicle, hands down the best way to mount your antenna is a NMO mount, granted you have to drill a hole in the center of your roof, but it is superior to any other configuration with the best db gain. If this is going to be your "expedition vehicle" take a better portable antenna such as a foldable J-pole, or a 5/8 collinear and a length of coax with you in the event you need to get out over a greater distance.

Now I am a tech and my knowledge of HF is limited but if you really want to reach out and touch some one that is the way to go. But it gets a bit more technical with antenna tuners etc. Oh and the $$$ involved.

Hope I helped a little

Chip

73s

KJ4QCV

TGO David, Ham Radio is a great hobby. I have well over 30 years in it, hold an Extra Class ticket, (as does my wife), 3rd Phone at age 14, and 1st Phone at 17. I am also a W5WI and a ARRL VE. My wife and I attend 35 to 40 Hamfest a year. The radio you have picked is a nice radio, but as others have said, the 6 meter, and 10 meter band will not be bands that you will use very often. Most activity on those bands will be SSB. The FT8900 is FM only. I also recommend considering a dual-band (144/440) radio, and save some dollars to put toward an HF rig, if you continue the hobby.

If you need testing info, let me know. I will be glad to help.

18 for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Studied a little bit on Thurs and Fri. Took the test this morning. Passed Technician with 31 out of 35. Guess I could have done better with a book or something, but this will get my feet wet.

They offered to let me take General but I didn't want to waste $15 on the test not knowing what sort of questions I might see. Turns out this was a smart move as I only scored 63% on the practice test I took cold-turkey when I got home. 74% is a passing grade, so I need to polish up on the HF specifics for Amateur radio.

Just ordered the ARRL General guide book and will see about taking the test for it next month.

• Administrator

Thanks guys. I'm back to thinking about radios again. I was all set on the Yaesu 7900R but now I'm thinking that maybe the 8900R would be a better choice for the long term since I'm 99% sure I'll be going back and taking the General exam.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys. I'm back to thinking about radios again. I was all set on the Yaesu 7900R but now I'm thinking that maybe the 8900R would be a better choice for the long term since I'm 99% sure I'll be going back and taking the General exam.

Thoughts?

Well, in my opinion, I would avoid it. You're still limited to FM on the 6m / 10m bands. I would either spring for something like an Icom 706 or Yaesu FT-857D so you can work any mode on any band. If those were above my price range, I would just get a decent 2m or dual band mobile and save up until I could get one of the others.

You're not likely to feel like you got your money's worth if you spend $400 plus on a rig that'll only let you play with FM when you can find better radios that do a lot more in the $600 range.

you can find better radios that do a lot more in the $600 range.

Ok, I just did a little checking and I should have said the low $700 range for a new one. $500 to $600 range for a used one. It's been a while since I've bought a radio. There are a lot of deals on eBay on used ones. The original Icom 706 can be snagged for under $500 and has all the bells and whistles except for the 70cm band (if memory serves correctly). The 706mkII incorporated the 70cm band.