Chicago girl jailed over shirt worn in court.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I can remember going to simple traffic court years ago with the hopes of beating the fines on some tickets that I got and deserved.

I wore a three piece suit and even got a haircut, not that is was really short but I did what I could.

I had scum and thugs coming up to me and asking if I was a Lawyer and would I help them......it cracked me up:D, I could have started a small practice over those few hours if I actually had a Law degree

In the end....?.... I beat the fines I deserved.:cool:

Cant fix stupid.:)

So did this Judge simply disprove the slogan on the shirt or prove that hers was more powerful?

I am also pretty sure there is a bit more to the story in order for her to get 48 hrs over just a shirt:rolleyes:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR
The judge was a she, not a he. Wrong place for a Koochie joke.

Oops, didn't catch that. Sorry:D That girl was really stupid.

Guest Jamie

So did this Judge simply disprove the slogan on the shirt or prove that hers was more powerful?

I think the judge proved that having a ***** and a gavel beats having just a ***** every time. :cool:

( Heh... possibly a bad choice of words there... :) )

J.

I'm truthfully suprised that the tinfoil hat brigade hasn't jumped on this.

If someone can be locked up over the word ***** on a shirt, what's stopping "them" from locking up people with other words on shirts.

Maybe lock up folks with the word "Conservative" on their shirts...

Guest Caveman

If someone can be locked up over the word ***** on a shirt, what's stopping "them" from locking up people with other words on shirts.

I don't know if you consider me part of the "tinfoil brigade" but here are my thoughts. She has the right to wear her shirt in public and whether I like the shirt or not I will not attempt to censor anybody. BUT, whether I like it or not, the judge rules the courtroom and there are certain things you should have the common sense to know not to do. Cussing at the judge would be one. Wearing that shirt would be another. The girl is obviously ignorant for even thinking of wearing that shirt into a courtroom. If the story she told is true, then she could have been told to leave the courtroom, jail was excessive. If she copped an attitude with the judge on top of wearing the shirt into court then that would be a different story. Either way, she is a moron.

I don't know if you consider me part of the "tinfoil brigade" but here are my thoughts. She has the right to wear her shirt in public and whether I like the shirt or not I will not attempt to censor anybody. BUT, whether I like it or not, the judge rules the courtroom and there are certain things you should have the common sense to know not to do. Cussing at the judge would be one. Wearing that shirt would be another. The girl is obviously ignorant for even thinking of wearing that shirt into a courtroom. If the story she told is true, then she could have been told to leave the courtroom, jail was excessive. If she copped an attitude with the judge on top of wearing the shirt into court then that would be a different story. Either way, she is a moron.

Well said, Caveman.

Judges should not have the power to punish someone based on appearance.

judges should only have the power to punish people for crimes.

If you are stupid enough to get a 'tude with a judge, then that judge should throw the book at them for the crime that are there to defend against.

Last I checked, it's not illegal to get an attitude with anyone or to wear a certain shirt. Doesn't matter if that attitude is towards a judge or anybody else.

Judges should not have the power to punish someone based on appearance.

judges should only have the power to punish people for crimes.

If you are stupid enough to get a 'tude with a judge, then that judge should throw the book at them for the crime that are there to defend against.

Last I checked, it's not illegal to get an attitude with anyone or to wear a certain shirt. Doesn't matter if that attitude is towards a judge or anybody else.

I just don't understand the anarchist, self destructive logic.:cool:

Regardless of the 1A, there are rules in a courtroom. 'Nuff said as I see it.

We have the 2A, but you'll find yourself up s***creek if you go into a courtroom packing.

And again, I really think her attitude probably played a role.

She got locked up for dissing the court. She could have walked in there in a business suit wearing a strap-on and it would have been as bad or worse.

I just don't understand the anarchist, self destructive logic.:cool:

You must not read many of my post :)

It should not be right for a judge to lock someone up based on a personal opinion about dress.Actually, no judge should have power to lock someone up based on a personal opinion on anything that is not against the law.

Would it be ok for a bald judge to lock someone up with a full head of hair because he was offended?

Would it be ok for a cop to jail someone over a shirt?

Would it be ok for a bald judge to lock someone up with a full head of hair because he was offended?

If "*****" was shaved into the side of their full head of hair, yes.

No

...This is not an issue of "free speech" as protected in our Constitution, but I agree with the premise that it is obviously an egregious (and narcissistic) abuse of power. Is the young woman a moron? Without a doubt. Should she have been called out and subject to public ridicule for her lack of good judgment? Most assuredly. But jail? Asinine... :cool:

Amen brother !! Well said! The First Amendment is about political free speech. It does not allow you to say inflammatory, ignorant or nutty things wherever you want to. There are plenty of places where you are not free to say whatever you want to say.

Examples:

• "Fire" in a crowded theatre. (...legal guys like this one!...)
  • Me saying bad things about your momma in your house.
  • Folks in the military can’t criticize their commander(s) in public.
  • Folks in the military and some government service cannot participate in partisan political speech (...a genuine abridgement of "free speech" that everyone should be mad about...).
  • Last but not least: No idiot tee shirts in a courtroom.

You can ascend the stump outside the courtroom if you are moved to.

It happened in Knoxville recently in the Christian-Newsome trial when the kids’ mom(s) and dad(s) were outraged by the words and actions of an "officer of the court" (...read that defense lawyers...) who said plenty of bad things about their kids in court.

RE: The "excessive and narcisstic (ab)use of power..." Lots of that goin around today and it all aint in the courtroom. Lots of it in Congress and the White House.

Keep up the good work!

Leroy

You must not read many of my post :cool:

It should not be right for a judge to lock someone up based on a personal opinion about dress.Actually, no judge should have power to lock someone up based on a personal opinion on anything that is not against the law.

Contempt charges exist for a reason. Courtrooms would be a zoo without them. The Judge has to have control.

EDIT: And my money says the girl ran her mouth on top of it. The article doesn't tell the whole story. If it did, it wouldn't be much of a story.

Edited by mikegideon
Stay classy, Chicago.

the girl is from Round Lake Illinios. It is not Chicago. If identified with a major city it should be Milwaukee (which is much closer) Round Lake is about ten minutes from Wisconsin.

Amen brother !! Well said! The First Amendment is about political free speech. It does not allow you to say inflammatory, ignorant or nutty things wherever you want to. There are plenty of places where you are not free to say whatever you want to say.

Examples:

• Folks in the military and some government service cannot participate in partisan political speech (...a genuine abridgement of "free speech" that everyone should be mad about...).

It happened in Knoxville recently in the Christian-Newsome trial when the kids’ mom(s) and dad(s) were outraged by the words and actions of an "officer of the court" (...read that defense lawyers...) who said plenty of bad things about their kids in court.

RE: The "excessive and narcisstic (ab)use of power..." Lots of that goin around today and it all aint in the courtroom. Lots of it in Congress and the White House.

Keep up the good work!

Leroy

You left one out... Nobody can argue with a Moderator's decision on THIS board. I completely agree with that rule, just like I agree with a judge's right to cite someone for contempt.

Examples:

Keep up the good work!

Leroy

Really? Where does it say that it only applies to political speech in the First Amnedment?

Not going to argue that the courts have perverted interpretations to consolidate power for their own purposes, but I've never seen what you claim in the actual Amendment whci is where they are supposed to have their power.

No

What's the difference?

The person jailed is still getting jailed by someone of authority for nothing illegal.

Examples:

Keep up the good work!

Leroy

The places you gave examples of are voluntary entered (some on private property where rights from the Gov need not apply)

The First Amendment is about political free speech
Where does it say that?

I'll help you out here by quoting it in it's entirety so all you have to do is copy and paste the part needing pointing out to me :cool:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Edited by strickj
Contempt charges exist for a reason. Courtrooms would be a zoo without them. The Judge has to have control.

EDIT: And my money says the girl ran her mouth on top of it. The article doesn't tell the whole story. If it did, it wouldn't be much of a story.

The courts have ruled that contempt of cop is not illegal, but contempt of court is?

The judge should have thrown her out if she didn't like it, not put her in jail for 2 days. Assuming her clothing was even disruptive to the court proceedings, it would still be overkill to do anything more to ask her to leave. I know a lot of people would like to have their moral/religious beliefs to be backed by law, but America is not a theocracy. Regardless of how immature and trashy such a shirt is, it shouldn't be punishable by the law or a judge or whatever.