Chicago girl jailed over shirt worn in court.

Now this is just messed up!

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/05/woman-jailed-for-t-shirt-didnt-mean-to-offend-anybody.html

Jennifer LaPenta admits that if she'd known her T-shirt would land her in jail for two days, she probably wouldn't have bought it.

And she definitely wouldn't have worn it to court.

LaPenta, 20, was jailed this week by Lake County Associate Judge Helen Rozenberg who held her in contempt for wearing the T-shirt in her courtroom. It was emblazoned with the words: "I have the (slang for female body part) so I make the rules."

"The judge asked me if I thought the shirt was appropriate for the courtroom," LaPenta said. "I said I didn't think it was offensive but said I wouldn't have worn it if I was the defendant."

LaPenta, of Round Lake, said she offered to take the shirt off but that Rozenberg told her it was too late and was having her jailed for 48 hours for contempt of court.

"She just threw me in jail," LaPenta said. "I've never been arrested in my life. It was very embarrassing."

LaPenta said she wore the shirt to the gym for a workout and was asked by a friend to drive her to the courthouse in Waukegan so the friend could settle some minor traffic tickets. It wasn't long after she sat down that Rozenberg summoned her to the front of the courtroom and asked about the slogan.

When LaPenta was released from jail Tuesday, she called Park Ridge attorney Peter Kalagis, who said he hopes to discuss the issue with the Lake County Presiding Chief Judge Victoria Rossetti. Neither Rozenberg nor Rossetti could be reached Wednesday.

"I didn't mean to offend anybody," LaPenta said.

Offensive word warning for pictures below!

Picture of shirt:

Picture of woman

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

Classy woman.

Kinda goes back to what has been said around here, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Court rooms do have dress codes, and you are informed that a violation of such can place you in contempt of court. Sounds to me like she should've just stayed in the car and waited on her friend.

Classy woman.

Kinda goes back to what has been said around here, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I agree... but being jailed over it for two days :eek:

I wonder how many DUIs this judge has let go on less time.

I could understand an order to be removed from the courtroom but not jail time because a judge was offended.

Makes me wonder if this judge would lock someone up for passing gas :P

Guest Jamie

I wonder how many DUIs this judge has let go on less time.

Might depend on what sort of stupid tee shirts the drunks were wearing, huh? :P

Seriously though, misconduct in the courtroom will generally buy you as much or more trouble than anything you could possibly do outside of it.

J.

...LaPenta, 20, was jailed this week by Lake County Associate Judge Helen Rozenberg who held her in contempt for wearing the T-shirt in her courtroom. It was emblazoned with the words: "I have the (slang for female body part) so I make the rules."

"The judge asked me if I thought the shirt was appropriate for the courtroom," LaPenta said. "I said I didn't think it was offensive but said I wouldn't have worn it if I was the defendant." ...

...."I didn't mean to offend anybody," LaPenta said. ....

Actions do have consequences. In a court of law, the judge has wide latitude to determine what is permissible as to dress and demeanor.

Moral of this little story: Don’t offend the judge (...she or he or it...) has a lot of horsepower and latitude to discipline those who would transgress. Spent quite a bit of time in the Federal Court in Alexandria Va in the eighties. Great lesson in judicial temperment (...which can be bad from time to time...). By the way; there aint no free speech in a court of law. Never was.

Food for thought,

Leroy

Actions do have consequences. In a court of law, the judge has wide latitude to determine what is permissible as to dress and demeanor.

Moral of this little story: Don’t offend the judge (...she or he or it...) has a lot of horsepower and latitude to discipline those who would transgress. Spent quite a bit of time in the Federal Court in Alexandria Va in the eighties. Great lesson in judicial temperment (...which can be bad from time to time...). By the way; there aint no free speech in a court of law. Never was.

Food for thought,

Leroy

Ding! We have a winner

Guest 6.8 AR
I don't agree with what she did at all, but it's kind of ironic how free speech does not apply in an American court of law.

I totally agree with you, but a courtroom is a place for decorum and if she

was wearing a politically motivated tee shirt with Bush's neck in a noose,

and he allowed it, one might paint that judge to be activist himself.

Speech in a courtroom is restricted to what the judge allows. I hope the judge isn't an activist. Looks like he fell on the correct side, for the court's

sake. Keep all the crap outside and deal with the law inside. :P

Food for thought,

Leroy

Which is interesting since an exception to the First Amendment was never written.

I have no sympathy for the skank. What kind of person 1) wears that kinda crap in public and 2) would walk into a courtroom with it on. That's just plain dumb.

that sums it up pretty well. she deserved the two days

This is not an issue of "free speech" as protected in our Constitution, but I agree with the premise that it is obviously an egregious (and narcissistic) abuse of power. Is the young woman a moron? Without a doubt. Should she have been called out and subject to public ridicule for her lack of good judgment? Most assuredly. But jail? Asinine... :P

:P WOW. Didn't know how lucky I was. The first time i was called to jury duty I was wearing, blue jeans, tennis shoes, and a TEE SHIRT. The judge stopped me on the steps going up to the court room and told me I couldn't wear this in the court room. I said fine and started to go home. He then said I could stay. Nice guy. Don't remember what was on the Tee shirt but I am sure it wasn't anything like the twit in Chicago. But then again this was 38 years ago. :P

Wow. I have to agree that the girl choosing to wear that shirt into court was a dumb move, but jail time over it? Seems a bit harsh to me. I'm not arguing the judge's right to lock her up over it, just saying that 2 days in jail seems extreme.

Of course, we've heard the skank's side of the story. I would like to hear the actual conversation between her and the judge. If she was dumb enough to wear that shirt and had an attitude problem when the judge called her on it, then I understand completely...