Obama is gonna protect the border?

Guest uofmeet

Guest uofmeet

Could it be true?

Lawmaker: Obama to send 1,200 troops to border - Boston.com

Lawmaker: Obama to send 1,200 troops to border

PHOENIX—The Obama administration plans to announce Tuesday that it will send as many as 1,200 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to improve border security, an Arizona congresswoman said.

Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords also said in a statement released Tuesday that President Barack Obama will request $500 million in funding for border security.

Part of Giffords' district borders Mexico.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer's spokesman said the governor hadn't been told of the move prior to her office being contacted by The Associated Press and had no immediate comment.

In 2006, President George W. Bush sent thousands of troops to the border to perform support duties that tie up immigration agents. The troops wouldn't perform significant law enforcement duties.

That program has since ended, and politicians in border states have called for troops to be sent there to curb human and drug smuggling and prevent Mexico's drug violence from spilling over into the United States.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

No, 1200 troops won't be able to protect the border. BUT, you're gonna think he's protecting the border... I'd like to follow the $500 million.

Guest Jamie

I figure he's just sending the troops down there to keep the folks in Arizona from killing his voters...er... I mean "illegal immigrants".

J.

1200 people are not enough to guard 1/10th of the border.

It is so he looks good to people who do not take the time to figure it out.

Like SUNTZU said follow the cash. Well the newly printed worthless paper. Whats 500 mil anymore, like 250,000 bucks?

I figure he's just sending the troops down there to keep the folks in Arizona from killing his voters...er... I mean "illegal immigrants".

J.

That's kinda my opinion on it. As of right now AZ has pretty much said they will act on their own to enforce the laws. By doing this, Obama can gain back control over the state actions on the matter.

I also agree with Sun in that it would be interesting to see how that money he's sending gets spent.

The dying part of me that still wants to believe this country is still strong, would like to think that he is sending them down there because AZ's actions have been powerful enough to wake someone in government up and make them take note of what is really going on in the country these days.

Guest SUNTZU
Anyone taking bets on the troops having no ammunition?

oldogy

No, but I bet they have maps to voter registration and the closest National Council of La Raza office (hell of a name for a civil rights group..that's National Council of The Race for you non-Spanish speakers), bottles of water, and Visa gift cards to hand out. At least till the $500 million is gone. Then more will be appropriated.

J.

You can't call them illegal Immigrants any more.

They are now known as "Unregistered Democrats". :shake:

Guest HvyMtl

They are for drug interdiction purposes, not illegal immigration...

So, no protecting the border. Just more "War on Drugs."

Anybody want to make a bet on the ROE?

Obama has no interest in, and will not permit, securing the border. This is nothing more than a circus for the masses. No actual invaders will be harmed (or halted) in this production.

Guest 6.8 AR

You beat me to the ROE. It's probably on the order of

"stand around, smile to everyone, don't even think of

pointing your weapon and no ammunition"

This move of his is just fluff.

Guest 6.8 AR

I don't think I'll post what I think he'll do. He made the Governor of Arizona a very popular woman. She's the one in control, now. She has just made a mockery of

immigration policy in this country and she had the sense to act on it. I doubt he can

trump her, politically. It made him look real stupid.

It will be all fine and dandy to not issue weapons or ammo until one of our guys or more gets killed by armed invaders. Then what will he do?

That's easy. He will twist the situation around to where the incident was caused by the recent AZ laws. Either that or he would somehow use it as another excuse to push for amnesty. :P