Tennessee Senate Overrides Restaurant Carry Veto

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pws_smokeyjones
SB 3012 is to be considered under Unfinished Business.

right, I 'thought' that unfinished business would have been the first order of business before proceeding to the regular calendars etc...

right, I 'thought' that unfinished business would have been the first order of business before proceeding to the regular calendars etc...

House Rules - TN General Assembly

12. ORDER OF BUSINESS. The reading of the daily Journal for the preceding day shall not be required; provided, however, that upon appropriate motions, the House may direct that the same be read. Any corrections in the Journal shall be suggested by individual members under the order of Unfinished Business. After appropriate opening ceremonies, the Speaker shall call for the following:

1. Roll Call
  2. Personal Orders
  3. Introduction of Resolutions
  4. Senate Joint Resolutions (Congratulatory, Memorializing)
  5. Resolutions Lying Over
  6. Introduction of Bills
  7. Senate Bills on First Consideration
  8. Senate Bills on Second Consideration
  9. House Bills on Second Consideration
  10. Petitions and Memorials
  11. Reports from Standing Committees
  12. Reports from Select Committees
  13. Calendars
  14. Unfinished Business
  15. Announcements
  16. Roll Call

...and just to note...they will be voting on SB3012, not HB3125

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Thanks for clearing up my confusion Fallguy. now I know I don't need to sit and watch this madness all day.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion Fallguy. now I know I don't need to sit and watch this madness all day.

Yeah...I'm just about to go do a few things I need to come back...I think.

At times it seems they are moving on...then they get hung up on something...

I can see it now, they'll bring it up today, maybe even this morning and that douche bag Odum will object that it hasn't been 24 hours, and it will get delayed again.

Why object? If the rule truly requires a 24 hour wait, I'd think the antis would just let the vote go on, let the override pass then wait until after this session is over - when nobody can do anything about it until next January - and get the new law declared 'null and void' because the proper waiting period was not observed.

If they end up meeting again, tomorrow or Monday (meaning that having the rule pointed out would give the opportunity to wait the full 24 hours and then vote) the antis might actually be doing us a favor by pointing out the rule - if such a rule exists - because that would mean there would be no chance of challenging the new law based on that rule. Of course, it would seem that if today's session is the last, then the 24 hour rule wouldn't apply and it wouldn't matter, right?

Edited by JAB
Why object? If the rule truly requires a 24 hour wait, I'd think the antis would just let the vote go on, let the override pass then wait until after this session is over - when nobody can do anything about it until next January - and get the new law declared 'null and void' because the proper waiting period was not observed.

Well at the rate it is going it may very well be 24 hours before it comes up.

Remains to be seen.

If there were to be a rash of close enforcement, who knows, they could start pulling permits under the "poses a material risk" clause.

It's the reason I was one of the few that felt Kwik's permit shouldn't have been pulled. After all, he broke NO carry laws and they jerked his under that clause, and yet carrying past a sign IS breaking a carry law.

- OS

Personally, there isn't a restaurant (or other establishment) in the whole state - heck, the country - that I am so enamored with that I would pay $500 for the 'privilege' of doing business with them and giving them my money in exchange for their goods and/or services.

To me, if a business posts properly then they obviously don't want honest, law abiding citizens with firearms in their establishment. I take that to mean they don't want me in their establishment and have no use for or need of my patronage. There are too many other businesses in my area that I believe won't post for me to want to give money to a business that treats me like I am somehow an 'untouchable' or a leper simply because I choose to be equipped to defend myself and those I care about. Besides, as someone else said, if they don't trust me to carry my firearm then why should I trust them to prepare my food? After all, the cooks don't have to go through a background check, etc. to be able to flip burgers.

In the real world, I realize that there may be times that - in order to be legal - I may have to disarm, hold my nose and go into establishments that post. For instance, if my friends (who don't carry and don't really think about the issue, much) want to meet at a restaurant that is posted, I'm not going to pass up a now somewhat rare chance to hang out with my buddies. I will simply spend as little money in the establishment as possible. Of course, since when I meet up with them I am usually just leaving work (where I can't even legally have a firearm in my vehicle) it isn't like I will be leaving my firearm behind in the truck.

Edited by JAB
Guest 270win

I normally do not patronize such businesses myself. I do not go to Costco, for example. I do have a problem with places I may have to go, like a hospital or local/state govt office with some silly sign that may turn out to be 'legal' (depending on who you ask....it looks to be debatable)...but then again....I conceal my snub in a good holster...and if I have to visit family at the hospital I am sure not walking a parking lot at night in Memphis without a gun....same thing for those silly Shelby County Clerk places....oh well life's too short to worry about a sign...I guess they'll have to set up metal detectors at those places to find my gun. Memphis is the #2 most violent city in the country...and this ole boy sure isn't going to be without his handgun in Memphis city limits over a sign...and never has..never will...my safety is too important when I'm in that trash can Zoo of a city.

Edited by 270win
Guest pws_smokeyjones
They are now taking up items to be considered in relation to the budget, and then those directly dealing with the budget. No conspiracy...

But my life is so empty without a good conspiracy dang it!!! :foot:

I'm back. I don't guess that I missed anything did I?

Don't think so anyway..

Just said a bit ago that when the get done with bills that effect the budget going to break for lunch.....so it won't be till after lunch anyway..