blackening seasoning

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glock23ForMe

I TREAT ALL MY MEAT VERY WELL... IMHO

Steaks:

I think I cheat on Steaks, but this stuff is really good and easy..

Grill%20Mates%20Montreal%20Steak%20Seasoning%20Reduced%20Sodium.ashx?w=225

Burgers:

Salt

Pepper

Onions

CHICKEN:

Take 8x8 Pyrex, put aluminum foil on bottom.

Place chicken in dish, cover with Sweet Baby Ray's, put in oven 325 for 60 mins...

Don't Like Fish

Steaks, just a some salt, pepper and the Montreal Steak stuff pictured above.

Burgers, same as steak

Another steak tip is do not go directly from the fridge to the grill, skillet or broiler, let it age for 20 minutes at room temp.

Chicken, - Adobo, but sometimes Eyetalian seasoning and crushed red peppers depending if I want heat. Or buffaloe them on the grill with your favorite hot sauce.

Fish - Meh, you do not season battered cod or dolphin

Pork, barbecue sauce

Edited by Mike.357

The Fresh Market has a seasoning called AWAKE A STEAK which is really good on steak. Has a bit of Coffee in it. Add some kosher salt and you are good to go if you want seasoned other wise skip the awake a steak and just use salt and pepper.

Chicken - too many things to do with it since it tastes like whatever you put on it.

Fish - grill it with salt, pepper, oil, garlic and lemon.

Pork - grilled salt/pepper.

Steaks: 1 hour to get to room temp, light coating of olive oil, sea salt and black pepper, then grill at 600+ until just past rare. Top with a pat of butter, or a cabernet sauce if feeling froggy, or crabmeat, sauteed asparagus and bearnaise sauce when cooking for very special occasions.

Burgers: make it up as I go.

Chicken: stir fry or marinate in whatever is handy

Pork: ribs get smoked with a spicy dry rub, then glazed with a mix of hot TN-style bbq sauce and honey when almost finished to make them pretty. Tenderloins get grilled with either a dry rub OR this: country style dijon or creole mustard mixed with balsamic vinegar into a paste, brush on one side of the tenderloin and cook bare side down. Easiest thing ever for those who don't like to cook much, but need to class it up a little for whatever reason. Make sure they don't cook past medium.

Fish: depends. Tuna steaks marinate in soy sauce / honey / minced garlic / powdered wasabi / powdered ginger for an hour, then seared. Most anything else gets a basic "salt and pepper in the breadcrumbs and pan fried" treatment.

Steaks- Sea salt, cracked black pepper, a little oilve oil

Burgers- Fresh fine chopped onion, mustard, Rendezvous seasoning

Chicken- Italian dressing or lemon pepper and lemon juice

Fish- I'm shocked that some of you guys ruin good Mahi Mahi (Dolphin) by battering it and frying it. I use some Old Bay blackening seasoning and fresh squeezed lime juice and throw it on the grill. I do salmon the same way.

Guest Bluemax

Wow, you guys know how to live. I doubt I could improve on any of the previous ideas but I will throw in a couple of suggestions

Steaks- By all means let them come to room temp. I like to season mine with olive oil, tiger seasoning and black pepper rubbed into the steak and grilled over charcoal if possible. Serve with melted butter

Fish- Try salmon steaks marinated in Pyrat Rum with a little Cajun seasoning, cook to a med rare to med at most as they will continue to cook a little after you plate them

Veggies- Shake fresh asparagus in a bag with olive oil and seasoning then grill until slightly charred on the outside, throw in a little squash if you like

Before you give up on fried fish try this.. Fry some bacon up in a cast iron skillet over a campfire. Take the bacon along with green onions a couple of thin lemon slices,salt,pepper and some fresh parsley and put it into the cavity of a freshly cleaned trout. Roll the trout in a mixture of corn meal and flour and fry in the bacon grease until crispy. This was Ernest Hemingways favorite campfire recipe. I've tried it a couple of times, once with bluegill and it's really good

Steaks get a heathy soaking in worcestershire prior to grilling. Usually a bit of the hot-and-spicy montreal steak when they're done.

Burgers get worcestershire plus any number of other things... spicy mustard, chopped onion, various dry spices... just whatever suits me at that moment.

Grilled pork chops also get worcestershire (notice a theme?) prior to grilling, then any one of a dozen different seasonings.... Slap 'Ya Momma, Old Bay, a few different dry rubs, or a few different BBQ sauces.

btw... Chattanooga folks, if you see a white packet of Lucious "The King's" Dry BBQ rub in the grocery store, buy it. It's a tad salty, but very well flavored. I've only ever seen it in Chattanooga.

Fish... depends on what kind. Catfish gets battered and pan fried and eaten with some home-made tartar sauce and Old Bay or Slap 'Ya Momma. Tilapia gets pan seared with similar treatment. Salmon, mahi, snapper, tuna, and other similar "heavier" fishes get coated with olive oil and some herbs and then grilled. If I've got a lot of that type of fish (and can prepare far enough ahead of time), I have an excellent vinegar and oil type marinade (and yes, it has worcestershire too) recipie that I use prior to grilling.

For chicken, has anybody done the beer can thing on a grill? Basically, you take a whole chicken, take out the parts and pieces bag from the cavity, and stick a full beer (can) in the bird and sit him up on the grill for about 60-90 minutes on low. I suppose the beer boils/steams the inside and adds flavor while keeping it moist. I'm thinking about trying it this weekend...anybody else ever tried it? Does it work? What brand of beer should I use? Thanks, B

Guest ADAM
For chicken, has anybody done the beer can thing on a grill? Basically, you take a whole chicken, take out the parts and pieces bag from the cavity, and stick a full beer (can) in the bird and sit him up on the grill for about 60-90 minutes on low. I suppose the beer boils/steams the inside and adds flavor while keeping it moist. I'm thinking about trying it this weekend...anybody else ever tried it? Does it work? What brand of beer should I use? Thanks, B

this is the best way to cook chicken,light beers are good, but I like using dark beers, gives alittle more flavor. cut the whole top of the can off seems to get more of the flavoring in it. for the beer that only comes in a bottle pour it into a soup can.

Guest db99wj

Steak: Salt, pepper, worcestershire , garlic, butter. (going to have to try the olive oil thing)

Burgers: Salt, pepper, Worcestershire , some onion

Chicken: Depends on grill, pan, or oven. Ranges from bbq, italian seasoning, butter, cracker crumbs concoction....I do love my frank's wing sauce and ranch mixed up and chicken dipped in.

Pork: Grilled, depends on mood, BBQ, or italian seasoning

Fish: If it ain't fried, than Salmon salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, couple of other seasonings (I like greek seasoning too), grilled.

Other fish: salt pepper, garlic, lemon juice and depends on what I want to go with, spicy or not etc.

Burgers-Get some kind of soft cheese, and first make sure it tastes decent. I prefer a blue cheese of some kind. Mix it in with the raw meat so you've got the cheese inside the burger. Season it according to whatever kind of cheese you used.

Here is one of my favorite burger recipes.

2lbs ground chuck

1 can drained Rotelle

1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles (more if you like)

1 packet lipton onion soup

greek seasoning

a little worchestershire

seasoned bread crumbs - just enough so the pattys hold there shape.

For steaks I love this:

41DV9JKTTSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Blazin' Cajun Seasoning and Rub by Belly Cheer

Guest mikedwood

Steak pork and chicken I just get to room temp and then let the grill get where it will sizzle it good and flip often. I try and get it off the grill at the right time, so important with chicken and pork.

Catfish I soak in salt water over night drain and rinse then in butter milk for several hours. Then batter half and half corn meal and Bisquick. OMG it's awesome.