BP Oil spill is NOT 'Epic'. Not even close.

Guest 6.8 AR

Either way one looks at it, it will get fixed. In the meantime there will be suffering and

it is unavoidable.

Obama is already using this as a reason to get cap and trade passed. I think that is reason enough to think he only cares about the political benefits(power) and not about that spill. Cap and trade is all about power and not about the environment.

He proved, once again, he is not a leader, just a Chicago community organizer.

Those types only accumulate power and use it for their own means, not ours.

If he really gave a darn about that spill, he should have left his dogs on the porch

(Holder) and dealt with the mess by immediately working on containment, rather

than letting coastal businesses become a sacrificial lamb for his political goals.

The gulf coast doesn't care for his politics. They just want it cleaned up.

Play politics and golf some other time. :D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU
Cap and trade isn't, but it doesn't make sense if you don't believe in climate change, which they do. Link me on the video.

Cap and trade isn't about control. It's about minimizing carbon emissions. At least, that's how I understand it. Enlighten me.

I know you don't care for Fox News, but its pretty straightforward and you can find the same information elsewhere.

YouTube - The Cap and Trade Con Exposed - It's your money they want - It's a "Tax" for Goldman Sachs

Here's Warren Buffett (Obama supporter) telling you about cap and trade

If cap and trade bring your costs up across the board and you lose buying power with your already weak dollar, and manufacturing jobs head across the border to better climes resulting in more unemployment, who, oh who, will step in to give you all those "rights" that you deserve? Big Government, that's right. But that's going to cost more as well, so it will take more of your money to keep you sustained by big government because you can't be a grown ass man and stand on your own two feet anymore...you obviously don't know how to and need big gov to do it for you. Doesn't sound good, does it?

Remember the first video of Rahm where he said a trained workforce? So long as you keep making those boxes and are willing to get your "free" stuff from the government, you can be a happy little worker bee, one of Lenin's potatoes. Meanwhile, with corruption, fraud, and all kinds of new laws supporting whatever the new elites tell you is good for you, your at the bottom branch while the bigger birds up on top of the tree are crapping all over you.

flow_chart.jpg

Combine the words in Rahm's interview with the other agendas that Obama and his administration have talked about doing or striving for and you have a greater loss of liberty at the promise of an elitist government for your daily handouts. **** that.

Ever see a government employee vote themselves out of a job? If you receive all your "free" stuff from the government, you are now a essentially a government employee because you are getting paid by "free" benefits. Who are you going to vote for?

Its ALWAYS about control.

I don't work for BP, know anyone who does, or even own any BP stock. My point is that oil spills are nothing new. Oil is a naturally-occurring substance. Does anyone really believe that there haven't been oil spills directly from underground due to earthquakes or other natural events? Did the world end? This spill doesn't even come close to the amount of oil we expect to spill in normal operations from ships and rigs.

This Oil Disaster in Perspective, and a Reminder of Saddam's Wells

Neither did I minimize the impact on the Louisiana area. Short-term it is devastating. Long-term, not. Nature and people are more resilient than Government wants you to believe.

As for blame, sure BP is to blame. They took shortcuts in the belief that Fed and State resources could clean up it they screwed up. BP should rightly bear the entire cost of the cleanup. But is everyone who works for BP to blame? What about the independant station owners who have long-term agreements with BP and BP signs on the highway? Should we close them down? What about the thousands of other BP employees who have families dependent on a BP paycheck in a rough economy? Should THEY suffer because of this?

People forget that a corporation is NOT a single entity like a person or animal. It is made up of individuals. And it is those individuals who made stupid decisions who should bear the consequences. Good decision-making is a rare skill in corporate or government America these days. Mostly that is because those making the decisions are removed from the consequences. When bankers are guaranteed to be paid for lending to risky people, what do you expect to happen? When a corporation knows it will be bailed out by government, why should they be thrifty? And when a corporation's officers know that others will suffer consequences, but not them, why do you expect them to behave properly?

Are far whether this spill is 'epic'. I suppose it is if you use it as an adjective under definition #3. We certainly don't have new spills this large every day. But it IS being blown way out of proportion. As always, when watching the news, ask youself 'Who benefits from portraying this as a disaster?" In this case, it's not you, me, or BP.

epic - Wiktionary

Guest Straight Shooter

If we dont boycott BP....then how else is a regular Joe supposed to let them know how pissed we are?

Me NOT using anything from BP, not stopping at the BP station for so much as gum, is about the only way I can say "HEY MO F-ER'S...Ive had ENOUGH of your **** and I aint spending my money with you anymore.

IMO..its akin to me not buying stuff from China. Sure, someone here makes a little off that, too... but that dont mean IM gonna buy their crap. Innocent people suffer everyday. Thats life. Doesnt mean Ive gotta keep buying from someone or someplace when I have a HUGE problem with them. Im not gonna do it.

Lord I hope Im wrong, but Im mighty afraid this is gonna have even as yet unseen future reproccusions. Wait till a hurricane comes in, and that crap is spread up into freshwater ponds, lakes,creeks, farms, ect. Itll just keep on getting worse.

And when BP declares bankruptcy...THEN guess who will be picking up the tab then??

Guest SUNTZU
If we dont boycott BP....then how else is a regular Joe supposed to let them know how pissed we are?

Me NOT using anything from BP, not stopping at the BP station for so much as gum, is about the only way I can say "HEY MO F-ER'S...Ive had ENOUGH of your **** and I aint spending my money with you anymore.

IMO..its akin to me not buying stuff from China. Sure, someone here makes a little off that, too... but that dont mean IM gonna buy their crap. Innocent people suffer everyday. Thats life. Doesnt mean Ive gotta keep buying from someone or someplace when I have a HUGE problem with them. Im not gonna do it.

Lord I hope Im wrong, but Im mighty afraid this is gonna have even as yet unseen future reproccusions. Wait till a hurricane comes in, and that crap is spread up into freshwater ponds, lakes,creeks, farms, ect. Itll just keep on getting worse.

And when BP declares bankruptcy...THEN guess who will be picking up the tab then??

Did you see the videos of Prince William Sound?

To Suntzu,

You and I comprehend things differently, and it's probably because of the individual differences in our lives. I was covered in bird :foot: awhile ago. I've been a VP in a fortune 500 company, with thousands of shares of stock options. I came out of that with my own perspectives. Please understand that I'm not trying to brag, or throw my pecker on the table. Just trying to let you know that I haven't had my head in a bag all these years.

I know you have a ton of experiences too, and I know you're a smart guy.

I watched all of the videos, and I think we CAN find some common ground. Doesn't gun powder smell great? :D

The things that are happening today won't go on forever. The more radical stuff won't happen at all. There is very little you or I can do to change any of it.

Did you see the videos of Prince William Sound?

The ones where o n he surface things look fine but if you dig a few inches anywhere on or near the beach you still find oil?

Yah, I've seen those.

Guest JRules

Actually Boycotting a BP station is boycotting the local people that own that station, not actually BP. BP doesn't care that you don't go to that station. Gas is a shared commodity, BP gas doesn't necessarily go to a BP station, it could go to a Shell, or a Mapco, or whoever else wants to buy the gas.

So think before Boycotting a BP station as all you are doing is hurting the local people that own and work at that station.

A big hurricane will actually help. It will disperse it, maybe to the point that it's not even toxic. Analogy... there is feces in you Balogna sandwich, but not whole turds.

Guest jackdm3
A big hurricane will actually help. It will disperse it, maybe to the point that it's not even toxic. Analogy... there is feces in you Balogna sandwich, but not whole turds.

Around 1990 in a Murfreesboro Kroger, I was looking through the meat packages and found a sticker that said on the ground beef, "USDA allows up to 3% of rat waste or hair." (Paraphrased, of course) Why would that be acceptable? As such, I've probably had ground meat (with the exception of turkey) only twice since. Give me something I can recognize and I'll buy it.

Guest 6.8 AR
I don't work for BP, know anyone who does, or even own any BP stock. My point is that oil spills are nothing new. Oil is a naturally-occurring substance. Does anyone really believe that there haven't been oil spills directly from underground due to earthquakes or other natural events? Did the world end? This spill doesn't even come close to the amount of oil we expect to spill in normal operations from ships and rigs.

This Oil Disaster in Perspective, and a Reminder of Saddam's Wells

Neither did I minimize the impact on the Louisiana area. Short-term it is devastating. Long-term, not. Nature and people are more resilient than Government wants you to believe.

As for blame, sure BP is to blame. They took shortcuts in the belief that Fed and State resources could clean up it they screwed up. BP should rightly bear the entire cost of the cleanup. But is everyone who works for BP to blame? What about the independant station owners who have long-term agreements with BP and BP signs on the highway? Should we close them down? What about the thousands of other BP employees who have families dependent on a BP paycheck in a rough economy? Should THEY suffer because of this?

People forget that a corporation is NOT a single entity like a person or animal. It is made up of individuals. And it is those individuals who made stupid decisions who should bear the consequences. Good decision-making is a rare skill in corporate or government America these days. Mostly that is because those making the decisions are removed from the consequences. When bankers are guaranteed to be paid for lending to risky people, what do you expect to happen? When a corporation knows it will be bailed out by government, why should they be thrifty? And when a corporation's officers know that others will suffer consequences, but not them, why do you expect them to behave properly?

Are far whether this spill is 'epic'. I suppose it is if you use it as an adjective under definition #3. We certainly don't have new spills this large every day. But it IS being blown way out of proportion. As always, when watching the news, ask yourself 'Who benefits from portraying this as a disaster?" In this case, it's not you, me, or BP.

epic - Wiktionary

Very well stated. :foot:

Around 1990 in a Murfreesboro Kroger, I was looking through the meat packages and found a sticker that said on the ground beef, "USDA allows up to 3% of rat waste or hair." (Paraphrased, of course) Why would that be acceptable? As such, I've probably had ground meat (with the exception of turkey) only twice since. Give me something I can recognize and I'll buy it.

Too late. You have already eaten a small handfull of rat turds in your life. I wonder, is that where the saying came from... Don't sweat the small :foot:

Guest Straight Shooter

BP WILL care that I wont go to their station, cause a few million more folks are gonna join me. I aint going no matter what, yall can.

As for Prince William Sound, last week on Larry King one of the fishermen from Deadliest Catch was on, he held up two rocks from the PWS, both STILL oil-soaked TWENTY YEARS later. He also said on the surface,it dont look bad. Stick your finger 6 inches down and everything is black.

And mikegideon, your right. A big hurricane WILL help disperse it, right onto peoples homes, cars, yards, animals, clothes, skin, hair, ponds,creeks, rivers, ect.

Afterwards, gonna still be a crapload left in the ocean, waiting to be "dispersed" again. And again.

But, what do I know.

Guest jackdm3

Free range cows do that!? I know that there will always be traces, but it's the fact that they'll let it happen, like when they shovel it in intentionally.

Edited by jackdm3
BP WILL care that I wont go to their station, cause a few million more folks are gonna join me. I aint going no matter what, yall can.

As for Prince William Sound, last week on Larry King one of the fishermen from Deadliest Catch was on, he held up two rocks from the PWS, both STILL oil-soaked TWENTY YEARS later. He also said on the surface,it dont look bad. Stick your finger 6 inches down and everything is black.

And mikegideon, your right. A big hurricane WILL help disperse it, right onto peoples homes, cars, yards, animals, clothes, skin, hair, ponds,creeks, rivers, ect.

Afterwards, gonna still be a crapload left in the ocean, waiting to be "dispersed" again. And again.

But, what do I know.

No. I'm talking about dispersing it to the point that it's just a PPM count in a solution. There's an oil film on everything now from engine exhaust.

Don't think I'm taking a Limbaugh position on this, because I hate this spill more than most. Just saying that the oil is toxic because it's concentrated. If you mix enough water with it, it's not. We're talking nature's biggest blender.

A tropical storm is another story. That would make things worse.

Free range cows do that!? I know that there will always be traces, but it's the fact that they'll let it happen, like when they shovel it in intentionally.

Free range cows... not sure. But, recon how you get E coli from oganic veggies? Eat :foot: and die is just the way it is, even on Planet Jack:D:D

Which is why we buy free range beef and grind our own ground beef when we want burgers.

Guest db99wj

To the op, just because it is not an "epic" event and stuff happens everyday that lets this stuff out into the air, ground and water, doesn't mean we should blow it off as something that will correct itself in a few years. This shouldn't be trivialized as a non-event or not a big deal because it doesn't measure up to the Top 10 list.

While the Rush thing does have merit, the other side does too. The truth, very much like in the media's reporting of anything political, is somewhere in the middle.

Guest jackdm3
Which is why we buy free range beef and grind our own ground beef when we want burgers.

That's the deal. You know exactly what's in it.