BP Oil spill is NOT 'Epic'. Not even close.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 Biggest Oil Spills in History - Popularmechanics.com

The ten biggest oil spills in history are all orders of magnitude greater than the current one in the Gulf.

Well, not an order of magnitude greater, but definitely larger.

That being said, if this continues until August, this spill may well crack the top10.

Ecologically, you'll never know it happened a year from now.
You want to put money on that?

Valdez was smaller and they still find oil all over the place 20+ years later....

Guest db99wj

It's epic for the people being directly affected by it, as mentioned, tourist which I am one who typically goes down to Orange Beach or Destin every year or so, all the ancillary businesses that rely on tourism, fisherman who rely on the waters being affected, which causes price rises of seafood in our area, we have restaurants that get their food, daily, from these affected areas, so their business hurts up here, to name a few. The wildlife that will be destroyed in the marsh areas of Louisiana, the fish hatcheries, etc is devastating.

While not "epic", it is devastating and has a far reaching impact beyond Louisiana and the coast line.

Oh, true it is not in the top 10.....yet. They haven't successfully done anything yet. I understand your point, but it doesn't make me feel better.

• Moderators
It's epic for the people being directly affected by it, as mentioned, tourist which I am one who typically goes down to Orange Beach or Destin every year or so, all the ancillary businesses that rely on tourism, fisherman who rely on the waters being affected, which causes price rises of seafood in our area, we have restaurants that get their food, daily, from these affected areas, so their business hurts up here, to name a few. The wildlife that will be destroyed in the marsh areas of Louisiana, the fish hatcheries, etc is devastating.

While not "epic", it is devastating and has a far reaching impact beyond Louisiana and the coast line.

Oh, true it is not in the top 10.....yet. They haven't successfully done anything yet. I understand your point, but it doesn't make me feel better.

As an example my wife and I are going to Myrtle Beach this month instead of the gulf coast because we don't want to take the chance of ending up on an oil covered beach.

Guest Caveman
10 Biggest Oil Spills in History - Popularmechanics.com

The ten biggest oil spills in history are all orders of magnitude greater than the current one in the Gulf. The biggest problem this spill is causing is to the tourist industry. Very few people are willing to visit the Gulf beaches when they might get dirty. Ecologically, you'll never know it happened a year from now.

Why are you attempting to minimize the severity of this event? Also your last statement is absolutely incorrect.

Guest SUNTZU

Well, I've already bought Birkenstocks and a hemp necklace. I can't use my computer anymore because its made of plastic (which comes from dirty dirty oil...eeeek!)

I think the purpose of this article is in response to all of the media hype about a wildlife/nature holocaust.

I'm going to Prince William Sound to do some fishing.

Yes, its bad, but I don't think its the end of the world just yet.

Guest Straight Shooter

I cannot believe someone thinks "in a year from now" you wont be able to tell the spill has happened.

You are obviously a BP plant...or something. Utterly ridiculous statement. The southern coastline will be ruined for DECADES. Those peoples way of life is FINISHED..OVER...GONE. I didnt watch the video, and aint gonna watch it, cause it doesnt matter where this spill "rates"...as far as the people affected its the biggest ever. Ill bet anyone on here ALL my guns against ALL yours, that in a year from now you WILL be able to tell. ANY takers?

Guest Caveman
Well, I've already bought Birkenstocks and a hemp necklace. I can't use my computer anymore because its made of plastic (which comes from dirty dirty oil...eeeek!)

I think the purpose of this article is in response to all of the media hype about a wildlife/nature holocaust.

I'm going to Prince William Sound to do some fishing.

Yes, its bad, but I don't think its the end of the world just yet.

Well who asked you anyway? When I want your opinion I will give it to you. Speak when spoken to, that's what good girls do.

Edited by Caveman
Guest SUNTZU
Well who asked you anyway? When I want your opinion I will give it to you. Now sit there and keep your trap shut, that's what good girls do.

Nice shirt. Do me a favor and go wipe the dust off the Vodka bottles, yeah, the ones right near the glass door.

GTFO.gif

:screwy:

Sorry, but to me that's like saying, "The Hindenburg crash wasn't really a disaster because it didn't kill nearly as many people as died in the wreck of the Titanic." Or maybe, "The Oklahoma City Bombing wasn't really a terrorist attack because it didn't kill nearly as many people as were killed in the WTC attacks on 9/11."

Not "epic" and not as "epic" are two very different things, IMO.

Guest 6.8 AR

I think he's trying to put it in it's proper perspective. Not trying to justify BP's, but that chart shows worse things have happened. There have been many natural disasters that dwarf this, also. We weren't around for most of them, so, out of sight, out of mind.

There was a marine biologist being interviewed on Fox News today talking about the

Ixtoc event in 1979(?) and he shared the same view. That was a much larger spill.

A little optimism might be in order. It might even be accurate. Never know:D

Guest Straight Shooter

Im all for a little optimism....I had this discussion Monday with someone.

And, it MAY wind up, for some unforseen reason, not lasting AS LONG as some are saying. But "a year from now"....well, see my last post. Ill put my guns where my mouth is.

NO WAY this will be gone in a year, hell on Drudge right now theres a report saying it might be CHRISTMAS before its plugged. Will it be "epic" then?

How many more miles of coastline will have to turn BLACK before its "epic"?

There should not be a BP in existence when this is finally, if ever, over.

Ah hell...believe what you want.

There should not be a BP in existence when this is finally, if ever, over.

There won't be. They will make some poor little guy take the fall. Then, they will change thier name and carry on like normal.

There won't be. They will make some poor little guy take the fall. Then, they will change thier name and carry on like normal.

And we will all keep buying gas from them or someone doing the same thing and we will LIKE IT!! Period. Like the drug wars, demand drives the need. Until a significant portion of the nation throws their car keys in the gulf and starts walking, or riding their new horses, there will be a need and demand for gas and this is the only way to get it!

This is all still an accident that statistically was going to happen somewhere. Tragic yes, but until we discover some other cheap efficient means of moving about, drilling will continue and there will be other spills. Minimization of future events is all that can happen.

That or shut the doors and close the country.

Guest jackdm3
And we will all keep buying gas from them or someone doing the same thing and we will LIKE IT!! Period. Like the drug wars, demand drives the need. Until a significant portion of the nation throws their car keys in the gulf and starts walking, or riding their new horses, there will be a need and demand for gas and this is the only way to get it!

This is all still an accident that statistically was going to happen somewhere. Tragic yes, but until we discover some other cheap efficient means of moving about, drilling will continue and there will be other spills. Minimization of future events is all that can happen.

That or shut the doors and close the world.

Fixed ya up!

Guest Jcochran88

That or shut the doors and close the country.

Well at least you said ride horses instead of Camels!:blush: