BP Oil spill is NOT 'Epic'. Not even close.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kicker is, this too goes back to the greenies. If they would allow more drilling on land, or drilling in shallow water, a situation like this would probably be far more easily repaired.

But, we can't do that. Might hurt the environment. :bored:

I think he's trying to put it in it's proper perspective. ...

Okay, perspective.

At the now generally agreed upon lowest flow rate per day of 20,000 BARRELS x 42 gallons/barrel x 45 days = 37800000 gallons.

Which is just behind number 9 and 10 on the "worst list". In another week or two we'll be number 8 on the list.

With no end in sight for all we know.

I've never been to the Persian Gulf, but I don't think there's much doubt that to compare the fecundity of the ecosystem of the US Gulf States to the lands that abut the Persian Gulf is like comparing Earth to Mars.

- OS

Guest uofmeet

I don't think BP is interested in plugging the hole. if they do, they have to leave the well. they are gonna try their damnest to herd it up the pipe until it is all gone probably. But what the guy said earlier is true. they made them drill in deep water due to not wanting them to be close to get the shallow water.

Guest 6.8 AR
Okay, perspective.

At the now generally agreed upon lowest flow rate per day of 20,000 BARRELS x 42 gallons/barrel x 45 days = 37800000 gallons.

Which is just behind number 9 and 10 on the "worst list". In another week or two we'll be number 8 on the list.

With no end in sight for all we know.

I've never been to the Persian Gulf, but I don't think there's much doubt that to compare the fecundity of the ecosystem of the US Gulf States to the lands that abut the Persian Gulf is like comparing Earth to Mars.

- OS

It's a bad spill. No one is denying that. Did I? Did the OP? Does it really

matter? It still has to be cleaned up and BP said they will do that. They

will be paying for this for a long time, as they should. They will be lined

up in courtrooms for a long time, also. Does this give me warm and fuzzy

feelings? No! I wish it hadn't happened in the first place, like everyone

else, but what difference does it make whether it is Mt. Pinatubo or this?

Make that ugly volcano pay up. Did the Christmas earthquake/tidal wave

rate as a bad disaster? You betcha! Who paid for that?

I guess by perspective I mean that you might be glad, to a minor extent,

that man had a hand in it, because he will pay for his mistake. Man is

trying utilize a natural resource in order to better mankind and to make a

profit. But if you would rather do like Suntzu pointed out, enjoy your

wind powered car!

wind-powered-car.jpg

Man uses oil and accidents happen. This ain't the first, and won't be the

last. Think about that the next time you drink out of a plastic water

bottle while filling your gas tank.

If man was infallible this stuff wouldn't happen.

Of course it's funny that dear old gov has already sent a bill and threatened criminal

action to BP and they sat on their thumbs watching this happen. I would rather focus

my efforts on cleaning it up, first. But, that's just me.

Perspective:D

Edited by 6.8 AR
add
Guest 6.8 AR
I don't think BP is interested in plugging the hole. if they do, they have to leave the well. they are gonna try their damnest to herd it up the pipe until it is all gone probably. But what the guy said earlier is true. they made them drill in deep water due to not wanting them to be close to get the shallow water.

If I were BP, I would want to use that well to help pay for the mess, if that is

true. A well like that usually operates for years and something good needs

come from it.:)

Guest jackdm3

"Man uses oil and accidents happen. This ain't the first, and won't be the

bottle while filling your plastic gas tank with your plastic credit card."

Man, we could go on and on. They just forget how many ...

Edited by jackdm3
If I were BP, I would want to use that well to help pay for the mess, if that is

true. A well like that usually operates for years and something good needs

come from it.:D

That well is done for, but the reservoir isn't. I'm guessing they may be able produce out of one of the relief wells if they can do a good splice into the old casing.

I can't agree with the "mistakes happen" philosophy until the investigation shows no wrong doing. I ain't holding my breath. They have responsibilities. Sorta like the goober at the range with his brand new Glock. Goober or not, he's responsible for the bullet.

John Ashcroft (one of my least favorite folks) was whining that Obama didn't start the criminal investigation soon enough.

If BP is successful today, and it's looking good, this thing will slow to a trickle. They ARE managing to skim a lot of oil. Once the leak stops, the quantity will start getting smaller.

"Man uses oil and accidents happen. This ain't the first, and won't be the

bottle while filling your plastic gas tank with your plastic credit card."

Man, we could go on and on. They just forget how many ...

I don't know what Obammy was thinking when he tried to tie this spill into the bigger politics. Oil spills are bad, but for the forseeable future, oil is good. He knows that.

As good as oil is, you can't go hosing the planet down with it. They need to fix the systems, engineering and regulatory, and move on. That's what they're gonna do. Obama ain't a member of Greenpeace.

Guest 6.8 AR

But you have to admit their goal wasn't to have a disaster in the gulf. Mistakes will happen. That's why I compared this to natural disasters. You can't get blood from a turnip. You can from man.

I don't care too much for Ashcroft, either, and he just fanned the flames by doing that. I just want the mess cleaned up, first. The blame game will go on for a decade or more and will 'fuel' the tree huggers argument for sails on cars and lithium batteries on everyones toaster. They still have to have a source to charge those batteries and everything else, like nuclear will take decades, if not longer to replace it.

When Einstein came up with his theory of relativity and Oppenheimer built the bomb, wasn't it Fermi(or someone else) placing bets that the bomb would ignite the atmosphere? All I am saying is that technology involves risks. I'm not saying they are not responsible for their actions, though.

The live video looks just like it did when I went to bed last night.

Yep. They have vent pipes on top so they could push the cap into place. They're working to close off the vent pipes. My guess is that once that's done, they'll turn on the pump and try to regulate flow to minimize what's coming out of the bottom of the cap. Gonna need to be one helluva pump.

But you have to admit their goal wasn't to have a disaster in the gulf. Mistakes will happen. That's why I compared this to natural disasters. You can't get blood from a turnip. You can from man.

I don't care too much for Ashcroft, either, and he just fanned the flames by doing that. I just want the mess cleaned up, first. The blame game will go on for a decade or more and will 'fuel' the tree huggers argument for sails on cars and lithium batteries on everyones toaster. They still have to have a source to charge those batteries and everything else, like nuclear will take decades, if not longer to replace it.

When Einstein came up with his theory of relativity and Oppenheimer built the bomb, wasn't it Fermi(or someone else) placing bets that the bomb would ignite the atmosphere? All I am saying is that technology involves risks. I'm not saying they are not responsible for their actions, though.

Of course it wasn't their goal. Doesn't mean there wasn't negligence. I don't think they're looking for a scapegoat. Obama's agenda is to continue to produce oil SAFELY out of the Gulf.

I'll say again... I can't believe he confused that with the bigger long term agenda. Dumbass. Even if they're successful maximizing green energy in the future, petroleum will be with us forever. They know that too. It's all about reducing consumption.

Guest SUNTZU
Obama's agenda is to continue to produce oil SAFELY out of the Gulf.

I'll say again... I can't believe he confused that with the bigger long term agenda. Dumbass. Even if they're successful maximizing green energy in the future, petroleum will be with us forever. They know that too. It's all about reducing consumption.

He's not a dumbass, he's exercising greater control...and not in a good for us way but a good for an elite way.

He's not a dumbass, he's exercising greater control...and not in a good for us way but a good for an elite way.

He's a dumbass in this case. This accident shouldn't be used to promote that other agenda. It should be used to promote safe drilling.

Here's my point. Everybody (except Limbaugh) KNOWS this spill is bad, and will be agreeable to finding specific remedies.

A lot of people don't believe in climate change, so why introduce controversy into something that should be straightforward?

I ain't big on the conspiracy theories.

Guest SUNTZU
He's a dumbass in this case. This accident shouldn't be used to promote that other agenda. It should be used to promote safe drilling.

Here's my point. Everybody (except Limbaugh) KNOWS this spill is bad, and will be agreeable to finding specific remedies.

A lot of people don't believe in climate change, so why introduce controversy into something that should be straightforward?

I ain't big on the conspiracy theories.

Cap and trade is a conspiracy theory? Don't tell me you haven't seen the "don't let a good crisis go to waste" video. Its straight from Obama and his chief of staff's mouths, Mike.

The British are coming, the British are coming....

Cap and trade is a conspiracy theory? Don't tell me you haven't seen the "don't let a good crisis go to waste" video. Its straight from Obama and his chief of staff's mouths, Mike.

The British are coming, the British are coming....

Cap and trade isn't, but it doesn't make sense if you don't believe in climate change, which they do. Link me on the video.

Cap and trade isn't about control. It's about minimizing carbon emissions. At least, that's how I understand it. Enlighten me.