2007 Tennessee Handgun Pemit Statistics

Guest Legally Armed

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember, these statistics are actually wrong. the last census was in 2000, so that is taking the current number of active permits on file and dividing them into an 8 year old population record. highly inaccurate if you ask me.

8000+ permit holders in hamilton county is great. i think it needs to be higher, but i can not control that number.

anyone who knows me will tell you that i say exercise your 2nd amendment rights. get the permit. get the sidearm. make a difference. the more legally armed persons out there, the more fear it puts into criminals.

Guest bkelm18
Great info, I see my county is number 1 again....Why does a lot of the listings show anderson county in it?

For Example, Shelby County

OR

Cuz we are teh shiznit. :eek:

It is scary to think anyone with the right computer search engine and minimal skills can look up on a list and find out who has a handgun permit. I hesitated getting a TN Handgun Carry Permit when i moved here from Arkansas because my AR CHL is not open to the public, only law enforcement. The only thing that forced me to get one was i had 6 months after becoming a resident and then my AR CHL was no longer valid here.

A good idea to make these news boys feel better would be to pay a small fee to the state police of the respective state of residence of the reporter and pull the rap sheets on these guys and post them all over the internet.....past DWI's, public intoxes, indecent exposure would be great...who knows what someone could find by getting a criminal record and the pain it can cause. Give them some of the same medicine!

It is scary to think anyone with the right computer search engine and minimal skills can look up on a list and find out who has a handgun permit.
Yep. I work for state govt and every year the Tennessean puts in a FOIA request and updates a database. You can go there and search by name, job title, etc.. and it will bring up the name of the person, what dept they work for, how much they made last year, how much of it was overtime, and other information.

Technically as a public employee all that stuff about me is public information. The salary of a given position is also public information. Every year they put this thing in and all it does is stir up a bunch of trouble. It gives stalkers a great tool ("she still works for that dept and makes that much money") too.

Guest Legally Armed

To cadillacdude1975

Don't know why you think these stats are wrong. They are correct. Last stats were issued in a similar report we issued in 2006.Some counties did have the wrong county name in the county stats regarding the percentage of the county population with handgun permits. This is being corrected. There was one (1) person posting the information & data. Some names did get messed up in some of the 95 counties. However, all the numbers as to permit holders and the % of the county residents possessing a handgun permit is correct. Information comes from "RAW" data from D.O.S. that takes about 150 hours to re-work into a formula that people can understand. This is not done by a lot of people. We are working to change the wrong names. In about two (2) weeks we will post another report that shows the low number of permits canceled because of criminal acts. This is why we do this report each year. The information in this first report, ranking the Tennessee counties as to the number of permits in each county is done only for information. However, in the second report, it is a history of how this law works and a positive response to those who oppose these laws. This is the only historical data that can be used to show how well this law has worked since the law became active in 1994. When individuals, groups, and organizations like the 'Tennessee Restaurant Associatioin' oppose legislation like allowing handgun permit holders to take our handguns into locations that sell alcohol for consumption, by saying things like 'if these people are allowed to take their handgun into a restaurant that sells alcohol for consumption, that will create many problems. Well, the report we produce each year shows based on HISTORY not assumptions, this rhetoric is not correct. It is for this reason we spend the many hours to create and issue this report.

www.legallyarmed.com

When did TN make a law forbidding carrying a handgun, if licensed, in a restaurant or bar? I know the counties gave out permits before 1996 and curious if there were less restrictions when the state was 'may issue'.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Legally Armed

Historical data is the primary means to refute individuals, groups, and organizations that oppose carry laws. This data is factual. Anyone can make assumptions. This historical data reflects how few handgun permits have been revoked. When groups like the Tennessee Restaurant Assoc., oppose new carry laws by saying how much danger pemit holders could cause, history does not support their comments based on this data.

http://legallyarmed.com/resources/ageandgender.htm

Guest HexHead

There were five 19 year olds that had their permits "revoked". Don't you have to be 21 to get an HCP in the first place? How were these even issued?

Guest Legally Armed

Regarding the 19 year olds:

This is the age that is on each of the reports regarding these records. When posting the data none of the input fields written by the D.O.S. employees can be changed. Could the applicants have been 19, had permits issued, and then someone noticed that in addition to their background problems, they were also too young? If it was only one (1) age of 19 it could be indication of an in-put mistake but, there were 4 in Davidson County alone. If these people were in the 'denied' section, it would make more sense but, these records are in the 'revoked' list. Can't say why.

male, age 58, white, zip code-37415

Reason: Rape 1 - 5 years / felonious assault 17 months & 29 days / burglary 17 mosx. 29 days / parole violartion for burglary ass 1 year / attempt to commit felony wo wit rape 1 year.

:) this is the kind of person we protect ourselfs from not give guns to,wow!but i bet he still carrys even though denied

get used to it. the pervs and illegals are everywhere. i read a stat that said by 2013 we will be a minority in our own country if we do not do anything about the illegals.

sorry for trolling off topic.

im just glad that the TBI takes the time to research each applicant therefore we wont have folks out there like this carrying guns.