Slide-Glide

Guest HogMan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't even heard of it, let alone use it. But it sounds like it could have some application on some "sticky" guns that are not used in colder temperatures.

There are a lot of mixtures that have different properties in rapid vs.slow shear situations. Two that come to mind are Silly Putty and a cornstarch & water mixture. This one is apparently a couple of soaps. Probably short-string lipids would be my guess.

I'm very critical of claims such as that it will reduce felt recoil. And a new gun super-lube seems to come out every month. I have two of them that you have never heard of on my table next to the computer right now that were sent to me for trial. Both work fine, but then again so do the right quantities of gun oil or gun grease.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I use CLP and might add white grease in the summer. Maybe if I was a pro shooter with expensive, tight pistols, shooting thousands of rounds a week, I'd try some expensive "designer" grease...if they gave it to me for free. But, I just go once every week or so and shoot a hundred fifty or two hundred rounds, and that's with different calibers. Of course, sometimes I think about getting some of that eezox.

• Administrator

When I sent my old Smith & Wesson M&P 40 off to have the trigger lightened, the gunsmith used some of Enos' Slide Glide on it. I was impressed with the way that it clung to the moving parts and it lasted for a good 500 rds or so of sustained shooting.

That's my only experience with it.

Guest utarch00

I have been thinking about trying it for a while now. I am going to order somehere soon and I will report back later.

I have heard good things about it though.

I use Breakfree CLP, after letting the pistol soak over night in it ( a good spraying) it soaks into the metal. Wipe off excess and after a few hundred rounds it starts to weep back out of the metal, I been using it since it came out and have not needed to try any space lube,. its the best cleaner Ive seen also. Ive used it on all kind of long and short guns. Just my .02:2cents:

Guest Mugster

Its hard to beat grease for an automatic, imo. A pound from walmart is still pretty cheap.

Although I do buy CLP, once this gallon runs out, since its got so expensive, I think I might buy a gallon of kerosine and mix it 50/50 or 25/75 with the cheapest 10w30 i can find until the consistency is right.

Oil is pretty much oil. There's not much mystery to it. The active ingredient in hoppes is kerosine, fyi...or it used to be.

KG-12 is worth every penny if you have a coppered up bore on a long rifle. It beats the heck out of anything else I've ever tried.

I've heard good things about Enos, but I've heard that you do need to be aware of the temps and planned use depending on the grease as in lighter grease for cold temps, thicker for high round count use, etc. I tried some Tetra-Grease for a while and I was pleased with it. I've sinced been using the bulk tubes of Wally World white lithium multi-purpose grease. It's cheap, slippery, and stays around for a while.....[insert comment about my preference in women here].

Guest Mugster

Hey, I resemble that remark. I use the 1 pound super tech container on dirtbike wheels (and just everything) and the rifles. Works good and its cheap. Its red in color, but it says "petroleum and lithium" based on the back. Its specifically a high temp grease, made for bearings. I don't think you can get any better than that, actually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am expierimenting with the slide glide light, so far it performs as advertised, including the part about reduction in felt recoil. It has been in my gun for 600+ rounds with no cleaning or adding additional lube at all. I am shooting 230 gr. precision poly coat bullet using WW 231 powder, not the cleanest shooting load in the world, but I have had no malfunctions of any kind to date. I have a match at Oak Ridge this weekend, and am not cleaning the gun before that. If all continues to go well I will clean at the 1000 rd mark. I do not normally treat a gun like this, but I wanted to see how good this lube is. I normally clean my competition pistols every 3-400 rds. and have always used a CLP type lube, which worked fine. After this test is over I will go back to cleaning this gun every 500 or so. The gun I am testing with is a Springfield Armory 1911 SS loaded model, which has always been 100% reliable anyway.

FWIW, Robin

Guest m4coyote

I have been using Breakfree CLP for 15 years or so, and I have always been very happy with it for general gun lubrication and protection. It seems to be great for lubrication duties, but It did disappoint me in its ability to protect the case hardened finish on the frame of one of my Colt single action .45's. My procedure for storing the pistol was to put on some nitrile surgical gloves, and carefully wipe the gun down with a clean dry cotton rag, and then apply a generous amount of CLP to all exposed surfaces.

My wife and I were busy building a cabin, and perhaps a year had elapsed before I removed the gun to inspect it. I could not believe my eyes when the side of the case hardened frame (opposite the loading gate, and behind the cylinder) was rusted so badly that it was pitted.

Before using CLP, I had always used RIG as a preservative for long term storage, and this taught me an expensive lesson. I will never trust CLP as a long term storage rust preventative measure again. It is OK for something that I am using often, but no way will I trust anything collectible to it either now or in the future. I have gone back to RIG for extended storage duty, my father and grandfather both trusted it with many years of perfect preservation results.

I recently purchased some Tetra gun grease for use on the slides on my semi auto pistols, and I have already had some problems with it in cold temperatures. I used it very sparingly last week on my previously ultra reliable Browning Buckmark. I then headed to the Prentice Cooper range, and when the little gun was exposed to the cold, it was turned into a stovepipe machine. I field stripped the gun, removed the minute quantity of Tetra, and re-lubed with CLP, and all returned to normal. Tetra might be OK in the hot summer months, but it will not reside in any of my guns slides or actions during the winter.

• 2 weeks later...