[Long Distance Shooting] What if we formed a club?

DaveTN

If we formed a shooting club I wonder if we could shoot on the 1000 yard range at the base (Tullahoma)?

I mean a real club with a bunch of members that will actually show up. (20, 30 more?)

Does anyone know the contact info for who actually controls that range? Air Force…State..Private??

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the one. Some of it is still under construction, but a patient of mine, said they're shooting the big boys up there. He also said that some of the military contractors test fire the full autos there and will occassionally let people from the public do some of the shooting (something about how many rounds each military weapon must be fired before being put into service). I would give them a call.

Just called the Mammoth Park and they said they do indeed have a 1000yd range that can be booked. I'll PM you with the specifics.

Just got off the phone... :(

I just talked to Nathan Noble the owner.

This is a work in progress. He said right now they can accommodate 2-4 shooters at a time out to 1600 meters (that’s 1750 yards!). But eventually they will have more lanes set-up.

He said they have been pretty booked up by the military and private companies, but that they are open to the public.

He said they allow .50BMG, but anyone that has not shot there would be required to spend a couple of hours with their people to show that they know what they are doing. They will not blindly allow .50BMG.

Sounds like the start of something big. Nathan was friendly and answered my questions.

If you want to contact him yourself…

Phone: 270-749-4101

Email: info@parkmammothresort.us

Guest Plainsman

I'd be very interested in somewhere I could go to shoot that distance where I could actually have others around me who know a little more than I do at what they are doing. I've never had the opportunity to shoot at that distance and would love to learn some of the basics. I hate the idea of wasting all of my time traveling and money on ammo to only form bad habits.

Guest Longshot1

The neat thing about that area is that it is just north of Bowling Green where the Corvette factory and Corvette National Museum is. Also, just up 65 a little farther is Fort Knox and the Patton Museum. Yep, Patton as In Gen. George Patton. I just came through there last week and there were M1 Abram tanks stacked up everywhere. Very neat part of the country. be worth a couple of days shooting and sight-seeing.

Guest Khitan

I went thru basic and AIT at Knox, and just won an auction for 2 CUCV's. Been wanting to take my son to see heartbreak and misery (if you went thru basic at knox you know them well). Might just stop in to this place while Im there.

Guest Longshot1

Well that sucks. When I drove by a couple of weeks ago there were still several tanks and artillary pieces sitting around. KHITAN, I know what CUCV's are but help me with AIT? Artillary training maybe. Thank you for your service to this country.

Well that sucks. When I drove by a couple of weeks ago there were still several tanks and artillary pieces sitting around. KHITAN, I know what CUCV's are but help me with AIT? Artillary training maybe. Thank you for your service to this country.

AIT= advanced individual training.

After every soldier goes through their basic training, they go to a school for what ever job classification they signed up for.e

For me, for instance, when I FIRST went in, I went to basic training for 8 weeks, then went for another 16 weeks to radio school.

when I reclassified to infantry, I went to basic training for 3 weeks (they assigned me to a basic training company that was already going through, and then I went on to 11b school.)

Guest Khitan

Yep Advanced Individual Training. I was a 19D , Cavalry Scout. we had one day between Basic and AIT, slept in the same bed, ate at the same mess hall and had the same instructors for the entire 14 weeks.

If all goes well there will still be something left when I go to Ft Knox to pick up the trucks. My dad died a few weeks ago and it just reminds me more and more how I need to tell my son all the stories of my life.... the ones I wish my own father had shared with me.

SSG James B Simpson - Father, Soldier, Citizen - RIP

My dad died a few weeks ago and it just reminds me more and more how I need to tell my son all the stories of my life.... the ones I wish my own father had shared with me.

Don't just tell him. Write them down. Make it a free time project. My grandfather has done this and I am grateful that he did. Although he won't let me read it yet. He also documented his family tree as far back as he could. Its incredibly cool!

Yep Advanced Individual Training. I was a 19D , Cavalry Scout. we had one day between Basic and AIT, slept in the same bed, ate at the same mess hall and had the same instructors for the entire 14 weeks.

If all goes well there will still be something left when I go to Ft Knox to pick up the trucks. My dad died a few weeks ago and it just reminds me more and more how I need to tell my son all the stories of my life.... the ones I wish my own father had shared with me.

Oh man, sorry to hear that Khitan.