Leather vs. Kydex

Guest Boomhower

Guest Boomhower

I just ran across these videos. Are the Kydex holster such as the C.T.A.C. really that much easier to holster and un-holster than leather holster's, or am I missing something in these videos?

C.T.A.C

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yABFRqSUISE[/ame]

Cochise Defender

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qw5ZugMBMQ[/ame]

I really like the looks of the K&D Cochise Defender, but if the Kydex holsters don't pull on your pants like the leather one does in these videos, I may have just buy one and try it out. I have an IWB leather holster now for my CW, and it pulls on my waist band/belt when I un-holster my CW. Not quite as bad as it looks in this video, I don't think, but it does pull up.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had any problems with my Galco Royal Guard leather IWB, and do not notice a big difference between it and my CTAC. The Galco does hold the pistol over the entire gun whereas the CTAC only holds the trigger guard, but it doesn't pull my pants up like in the video.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I have an open top FIST IWB Kydex for my CZ75B. It draws and holsters beautifully, snaps crisply and less stiffly than the Fobus holsters. It's also very comfortable to wear, even in the summer.

Guest Boomhower
edit:get one with retention adjustment to prevent what happens in the second vid

That's another thing I thought about after I posted this. "The retnetion screw"...but if I'm not mistaken, can't you also find this retention screw on some leather holster's?

That's another thing I thought about after I posted this. "The retnetion screw"...but if I'm not mistaken, can't you also find this retention screw on some leather holster's?

yes,but leather screws will not give you the "easy out" and one hand operation like in that video.

Guest Boomhower

I still like the quiteness of my leather holster though....I dunno....If I wasn't so stingy, I'd spend the money and try it out for myself. ;)....that's why I asked you guys. I know a few of you have talked about your "box o holster's", and I'm just trying to avoid mine.

Guest Engloid

Go check out the local stores and try them out. I've even been known to ask the guys to pull a gun from the cabinet, so I can try out a holster. They haven't seemed to mind it. I typically go to Floyds on Merchants Dr, or to Coal Creek. Gander Mtn has crappy service, from my experiences. The smaller shops in town seem to look at you funny when you walk in the door, unless they know you personally.

Guest Boomhower
Go check out the local stores and try them out. I've even been known to ask the guys to pull a gun from the cabinet, so I can try out a holster. They haven't seemed to mind it. I typically go to Floyds on Merchants Dr, or to Coal Creek. Gander Mtn has crappy service, from my experiences. The smaller shops in town seem to look at you funny when you walk in the door, unless they know you personally.

I didn't figure that any shop would pull a holster out of it's packaging just for you to try out. But then again, I've never asked.

Guest canynracer

I have a leather with a retention screw...its a Galco...it is awesome...but it is not IWB...I plan on getting the IWB leather Galco for my new peice...My buddy just got one for his, it is awesome...and VERY comfortable...the one he got has a thumb break, and no retention...the gun draws VERY nicely, no pulling on the garments...I guess it all depends on the holster you choose...

all of the gunshops I have gone to allows you to try the holster...

• Administrator

I have always owned CTAC holsters until recently then started buying their MTAC kydex and leather hybrids. The MTAC is a much better holster than the CTAC in terms of long-wear comfort.

That said, I do not find that there is much of a difference in draw between a good leather holster and a Kydex holster. I prefer my leather Milt Sparks Versa-Max II over my MTAC. The VM2 is an example of what good leather should feel like. 90% of the stuff Galco produces is mediocre; so don't base your decisions off of that.

Galco does produce custom holsters but the cost and wait time is similar to leather from good leathersmiths like Milt Sparks, Tucker, K&D, etc.

Guest Boomhower
I have always owned CTAC holsters until recently then started buying their MTAC kydex and leather hybrids. The MTAC is a much better holster than the CTAC in terms of long-wear comfort.

That said, I do not find that there is much of a difference in draw between a good leather holster and a Kydex holster. I prefer my leather Milt Sparks Versa-Max II over my MTAC. The VM2 is an example of what good leather should feel like. 90% of the stuff Galco produces is mediocre; so don't base your decisions off of that.

Galco does produce custom holsters but the cost and wait time is similar to leather from good leathersmiths like Milt Sparks, Tucker, K&D, etc.

Would you put your K&D holster's up against any Kydex holster on the market. That's really the holster I'm wanting. The Cochise Defender that is.

Over the years I've tried a bunch of Kydex and leather holsters.

Kydex held a lot of promise because I tended to be in areas where I got wet a lot. But I just never found them comfortable over extended wear and didn't care for the noise they make when un-holstering and re-holstering the weapon - particularly with the cheaper Kydex holsters.

So, I have one Kydex holster I keep in the back of the car. It's a paddle holster for short-term use in case I need a holster for the car gun sometime.

Other than that, everything is leather except the shoulder holster, and generally they are not expensive holsters. I find Don Hume makes holsters that work just fine at reasonable prices.

In watching both videos, it looks to me like he is rotating the gun slightly before drawing it in the leather iwb. I wonder if he is trying to "sell" the kydes holster. I do not have personnal experence with either, but it was what i noticed.

I dont think i would mind a little more retention in day to day carry.

well said.my favorite part of gun ownership is spending hundreds of dollars on holsters :shrug:

We've all done that. But I have been able to recoup about half my wasted holster money by sticking it to my friends.....errrrr...I mean offering them deep discounts on my outgrown holsters. :doh:

• 7 months later...
Guest Sancman

I have both the leather and kydex, prefer the kydex because of the quickness of draw. I've only noticed the "noise" of the kydex when I am reholstering.

Might want to see if someone has a kydex holster you can borrow to try out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cdsusong

I have been reading the thread and I have to say.....hmmmm. So it looks like the choice is split between the kydex and leather. I too would like to get an IWB for my Glock 26. I recently bought one made of nylon with ambi clip potential. It also had a velcro retention strap on it and that was the first thing to go! I find wearing the holster on my right hip quite uncomfortable and it looks very noticeable to me, so I tried it as a middle of back version, basically moved the clip as if it were a LH IWB. works great, just a little hard to "install" the holster and remove. Now when you have it as an MOB holster and sit in a car, ouch! Great lumbar support though. But wont Kydex be stiff and uncomfortable? Seems like the leather would be more flexable.