Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint

Guest GLOCKGUY

Guest GLOCKGUY

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint

By Melanie Stout

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.

The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.

"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.

"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.

The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised at all. It's kinda a two-fer.........money and a gun.

BTW, I thought open carry deters crime????:hat:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself based on all the CC vs OC threads here.:shake:

Nothing personal, but it still has the same snide tone that hoplophobes display whenever they gleefully point out instances where gun ownership didn't save the victims.

I carry concealed, but I don't think anyone should be ridiculed or belittled for carrying openly. It's their right, and their choice.

You still need to be aware of your surroundings even when you OC

Absolutely. A gun is not a magical talisman against evil. Sounds like the victim here forgot that.

Guest cheez
You still need to be aware of your surroundings even when you OC

I learned this lesson 18 years ago when I was robbed at gunpoint with a loaded 38 next to me in the truck seat.

Sounds like he forgot how important situational awarness is....

Nothing personal, but it still has the same snide tone that hoplophobes display whenever they gleefully point out instances where gun ownership didn't save the victims.

+1

First, the only snide tone was your perception. It was just a joke and meant light hearted.

Second, you're trying to slap my hand while ignoring the huge elephant in the room that was the article itself. This story gives way more ammunition to the antis and it never needed to happen. My remark (while wrongly perceived as snide) was just pointing out the obvious. :P

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

I generally don't OC, but it seems that this guy simply went about his daily business while armed. There is no indication that he ever threatened anyone, used the firearm inappropriately, etc. yet this stupid woman seems to be more scared of an apparently honest, law-abiding citizen than of the fact that there are criminals out there brazen enough to rob people at gun point- even people who are obviously armed. We are turning into a nation that would rather offer our throats to the beast in the hopes that we will be spared than to commit the 'sin' of being ready to defend ourselves. Makes me sick.

Edited by JAB
Guest GLOCKGUY

But here is a link to an example of open carry preventing an armed robbery..

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

Two customers displaying holstered pistols deterred an armed robbery in a Kennesaw Wafflehouse recently.

There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearing handguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.

Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkway at I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scout for an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it. At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone. Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers were parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.

The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store.

Meanwhile, conscientious Cobb County Police Officer D. Lowe had noticed suspicious cars sitting behind the restaurant in the dark and decided to investigate. He caught men with masks and rifles who had been preparing to rob the Wafflehouse. The criminals informed the police that they had changed their mind upon discovering armed customers and were waiting for Matt and J.P. to leave. Ironically, the police car was pulling in to the parking lot just as Matt and J.P. were driving away. In other words, had Matt and J.P. not been armed, the robbery probably would have occurred before the police intervened.

Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew.

Matt Brannan is making an Open Records Act request, and there will be an update to this story when more information is available. The case number is 09-133500. There will be updates and follow up articles as more information becomes available.

If you do not want to miss any follow up articles, please click on the Subsribe button under the headline, above.