Found this snakeskin by my front door ... any ideas what kind?

Guest Lester Weevils

Yep, those greaves look snake-proof!

Dunno if the kevlar things are still available, but here are some quick pics. The leg shot is thru a dirty mirror and didn't turn out well, but OTOH these legs are not something a normal person would want to gander anyway <g>.

[edit] They are also useful against thorns.

Gaiters1.jpg

Gaiters2.jpg

Edited by Lester Weevils
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEARMAN

Yep, like 'em...now if I can locate some. Friedman's army navy used to sell them...that's where I bought the hard plastic ones several years back.

Jamie, I'm gonna hold off on the medieval snake gaiters for now, however, I do appreciate the thorough research though...:cool:

Guest Jamie

Jamie, I'm gonna hold off on the medieval snake gaiters for now, however, I do appreciate the thorough research though...:cool:

Heh... most of that research was done years before I ever found this particular forum.

However, if you ever decide you wanna make your own... either out of steel or boiled leather... give me a holler. I'll bet I can tell ya what you need to know to do it. :screwy:

J.

What happens if you get bit in the foot? :D

Yep, those greaves look snake-proof!

Dunno if the kevlar things are still available, but here are some quick pics. The leg shot is thru a dirty mirror and didn't turn out well, but OTOH these legs are not something a normal person would want to gander anyway <g>.

[edit] They are also useful against thorns.

Gaiters1.jpg

Gaiters2.jpg

Guest Lester Weevils
What happens if you get bit in the foot? :D

Hi TowerClimber

Reciting what I read, dunno from personal experience-- Supposedly a good leather boot will stop snake fangs. If one used the gaiters with tennis shoes or lightweight fabric hiking boots, supposedly a snake could puncture the lightweight shoes. Was wearing street shoes in that photo.

There are various 'rough country gaiters' sold to hikers and such, and heavy-canvas ancient mil-surp gaiters. Maybe some of those are stiff enough to resist fangs without needing kevlar? Dunno. Them old AL, GA, and FL giant rattlers might be most likely to puncture a gaiter? Some of them get huge.

Old ancient dad, early in his career was a railroad lineman in central AL, big rattler population. He would work alone climbing poles out in the woods and meet lots of rattlers. Later on he maintained microwave towers in S GA and N FL swampy territory for awhile. Same deal, working alone in snaky land. TN is practically snake-free compared to AL and S. GA.

I had always assumed he was fearless to work in those conditions, but he was recently reminiscing and admitted the snakes scared him spitless. That seems even more amazing, working in high-weed forested conditions in spite of the fear.

Guest Jamie

For those of you looking for Snake Gaiters...

Have you tried here?

Cabela's Snake Gaiters

They seem to have several varieties.

Oh, and Tower, they even have some with foot protection:

s7_943758_imageset_01?$main-Large$

Not sure what kind of fashion statement they make, but the look like they'd work.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest BEARMAN
For those of you looking for Snake Gaiters...

Have you tried here?

Cabela's Snake Gaiters

They seem to have several varieties.

Oh, and Tower, they even have some with foot protection:

s7_943758_imageset_01?$main-Large$

Not sure what kind of fashion statement they make, but the look like they'd work.

J.

Thanks Jamie, that be dem! ordering a pair now.

Jamie...You ought to consider changing your user name to: "Jamie-Extreme Research Tech" :up:

Guest Jamie

Jamie...You ought to consider changing your user name to: "Jamie-Extreme Research Tech" :D

Well, I guess that sounds better than "Mad Googler"... :up::P

J.

Guest Lester Weevils

Looks like there is more variety of snake gaiters now. A few years ago, as best can recall, the kevlar ones and the hard-plastic snake guards and snake boots were about all I saw online.

Recall reading one story of a guy wearing the hard plastic guards on one of those tiny FL islands that are rattler havens. He said he got hit and the snake got hung up on a buckle or something, and was walking around trying to figure out how to get a big pissed-off rattler detached from his snake guard.

Guest Jamie
Googler Extraordinaire....:shake::D

The funny thing is, it really didn't take any more than typing "Snake Gaiters" into Google, and hitting "enter".

... and then seeing Cabela's come up and going

"why didn't I think of that before???" ;)

J.

Looks like there is more variety of snake gaiters now. A few years ago, as best can recall, the kevlar ones and the hard-plastic snake guards and snake boots were about all I saw online.

Recall reading one story of a guy wearing the hard plastic guards on one of those tiny FL islands that are rattler havens. He said he got hit and the snake got hung up on a buckle or something, and was walking around trying to figure out how to get a big pissed-off rattler detached from his snake guard.

;):rofl::shake:

Now THERE is a conundrum. hahahah can you imagine walking up to your friends with a rattlesnake on your gaiters, going ..."guys, can someone give me a hand with this"?

Guest Jamie
:shake::rofl::D

Now THERE is a conundrum. hahahah can you imagine walking up to your friends with a rattlesnake on your gaiters, going ..."guys, can someone give me a hand with this"?

I believe that would be a case of "You caught it, you clean it". ;)

J.

Guest BEARMAN
They make pretty good belt coverings too! ;)

Hatbands and bracelet's too! Very durable hides.

Bet it would make a nice rifle strap also.

Guest Jamie
Hatbands and bracelet's too! Very durable hides.

Bet it would make a nice rifle strap also.

Hatband?

Hell, if it's a big enough snake, make one of these:

201.JPG

J.

Guest BEARMAN
Hatband?

Hell, if it's a big enough snake, make one of these:

201.JPG

J.

Damn that's very nice! Much better than my Stetson. What's the price?

Guest BEARMAN
Better than mine too... and at $1,558.00 it ought'a be. :stare:

I think I'll stick to my decade-old Stetson... :stunned:

BTW, here's the site: All Animals in the products are harvested from farms or other legal ways

J.

OUCH! Way too steep for my pauper's pockets. :stare:

Guess I'll have to carry on with my 'ole Stetson...circa. 1977 that I purchased in Pigeon Forge at a little western shop.

That looks like the Nugent model to me...:cool:

Guest Jamie
OUCH! Way too steep for my pauper's pockets. :stunned:

Guess I'll have to carry on with my 'ole Stetson...circa. 1977 that I purchased in Pigeon Forge at a little western shop.

That looks like the Nugent model to me...:stare:

Yeah, I used to think the $250 or so I spent on my hat was expensive... The price of that snake skin one would buy the first half-dozen cars I ever owned all at once though. :stare:

J.

probably a garter snake.

Garter%20Snake.jpg

Just found one of these nesting in a bird's nest that was in a small tree at the corner of my house. I got him out with a stick(didn't know what kind of snake it was at the time) and he fell to the ground. I spent the better part of an hour trying to find him again so I could snatch him up for some pictures but had no luck.