S&W M&P 15-22 - Range Report

Sold my Ruger 10-22 recently and, as a Father's Day gift, my wife replaced it with M&P 15-22. Just picked it up today, so here's my thoughts after the first few mags through it.

1. Great Copy of a Real AR-15. S&W hit the mark with this rifle. It functions as close as possible to the real thing. Other than the weight and the short charging handle pull, the controls and movement are identical to my other ARs. Since I intend to use this for training purposes, it fits the bill perfectly.

2. Extremely Reliable for a 22lr. As others have mentioned, I had a LOT of reliability issues with hi-cap mags in my Ruger 10-22. Although I have only shot about 200 rounds through it, I have yet to have a single malfunction. Two different mags using only the Wal-Mart value packs of Federal (36 grain, copper jacketed hollow points in the 550 round pack) and Winchester (36 gr., HP in the 555 round pack). If this keeps up, I don't even have to buy the better 22lr rounds.

3. Polymer Construction. Virtually everything on this gun is polymer. The upper, lower, sights, etc. are all polymer. However, it feels solid and really does not present any problems, in my opinion. I wonder about long-term wear and tear, but I'll deal with it.

4. Accuracy. I'm not sure I can really determine that yet. Since my wife just let me know today that it had arrived, I didn't have a chance to set up targets for accuracy measurements. I just shot it in the backyard. However, shooting natural targets out to 50-60 yards, I was happy with the accuracy. Only very minor adjustments in windage was necessary and the thing was hitting leaves, small sticks, etc. at 50 yards.

5. Overall. As you can tell, I am very impressed with the rifle. This one has a fairly recent manufacture date (based on the date of the owner's manual and the serial number), so it has the enhanced spring kit already installed. It appears the early manufacture guns had some real problems with firing out of battery, but S&W fixed the issues with new springs. Evidently, the way to tell if the new springs are installed is to check the color of the springs. If the springs are blue, you have the enhanced spring kit. As I understand it, the new springs are standard on the rifles currently in production (but not sure when that started). With this problem resolved, I am VERY happy with the rifle. Of all the guns I have purchased, only the HK P30 ranks higher on initial satisfaction.

If you are in the market for a 22lr rifle or are looking for a cheap way to shoot an AR, I highly recommend looking at the M&P 15-22. For the $460 (out the door) my wife paid for it, I think it is well worth it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an AWESOME wife! Did you get the MOE version? or the one with threaded barrel?

Just the basic threaded barrel. I love the look of the MOE, but this is just a training rifle and the basic model is good enough for that. I'll leave the tacticool stuff to my real AR. :D

Guest motonut

Got one about 5 weeks ago, it is a blast. I've only run about 400+ rds. through it so far though. Mine has been very accurate, certainly no issues on that front for me. I still need to check the springs though.

LS, everybody knows a full size plinker is way cooler to fondle than a little cardboard box with a bolt and a mag in it! :D and desides...with 2 rifles that look almost alike you can dual weild them in the back yard and look cute(22) and dangerous(223).

Is there any reason that you chose to go with a dedicated 22lr rifle rather than a conversion for the 5.56?

The main reason was that I was replacing another rifle. However, the two issues that made the difference were:

1. after some research, it appeared that the dedicated M&P 15-22 was more reliable (by how much, I don't know) than a conversion; and

2. I didn't want to put that many rounds down the barrel of my more expensive rifles (I plan on shooting this one ALOT! :up:).

love mine... i'm trying to wear it out. off a bag with a HWS, I can hit tennis balls and coke cans all day long at 75 yds. w/ better ammo, no problem out to 100 yds. i have the early version, and it did indeed KB and fired out of battery. Sent it back to S&W, they turned it around repaired w/ a free extra mag in 1 week. I assume it has the better springs now. at any rate, no problems since, and that's several thousand rounds ago. It's truly a pleasure to shoot. the trigger is pretty crappy compared to my duty rifle, but it's pretty standard for rack grade single stage AR. Easy to upgrade FCG and stock, and a breeze to clean and service. very happy!

recommend everyone get one!

Just finished second range session with the M&P 15-22. Again, I used only the Wal-Mart 550-round value box of Federal (36-gr, HP). Not a single hiccup! Accuracy seems to be very good at distances of up to 70-75 yards, but today was more about seeing how the gun functioned from a tactical standpoint. We ran a number of drills I learned at the CIS Defensive Carbine course and the gun performed very well. It is VERY close to a real a AR-15 from that standpoint.

Although I liked my Ruger 10/22, this gun is much better for training.

Guest motonut

In Sunday's Academy Sports ad they're again selling the S&W M&P15-22 for either $429 or 439 (don't remember which).

Personally, I got mine at Specialty Arms II for $399 (cash) about 6 wks ago. (mine is the model w/out the flash sup)