21 Foot Rule and You

Over a lengthy law enforcement career, I attended quite a few officer survival courses. Each time I did the issue of maintaining a “reaction gap†and Lt. Dennis Tueller’s “21 foot rule†came up. For those not familiar with this rule it simply states that an average healthy male can cover a seven yard distance in 1.5 seconds (21feet). The rule is still VERY valid today and if you’re in doubt, measure it off and try it yourself. Now ask yourself if you could consistently draw from concealment and fire at least two combat accurate hits on a target moving towards you in 1.5 seconds. If you’re honest, I’ll bet most said no and if you said “yes†you’re in good shape but there are a few other things I want you to be aware of.

One of the key points in the FBI’s 1989 “Handgun Wounding Factor’s and Effectiveness†report came up with some simple conclusions.

1. No certain caliber will immediately stop a perpetrator unless the brain is hit.

a. Drugs, Alcohol, and the perpetrator’s mental state also play a significant role in them continuing to fight.

2. Barring destruction of the brain, the only other way to force incapacitation is to cause sufficient blood loss so that the subject can no longer function.

a. This takes time.

b. Even if the heart is destroyed, the brain has enough oxygen for full voluntary action for 10-15 seconds.

3. Kinetic energy does not wound.

a. “Knock down power†is a myth.

b. Penetration kills (13+†or better).

c. Bigger the wound better the effectiveness.

d. Ammunition that will not pass through vital organs at less than optimum angels is insufficient.

e. Larger bullets have the edge over smaller diameter bullets.

Using the 21 foot rule and keeping in mind the FBI’s report, what are some ways an armed citizen can prepare themselves? Like law enforcement, there’s no way to go through life making sure you at least twenty one feet from everyone. Instead sharpen your situational awareness skills. If you can detect a threat earlier you have a tactical edge. If you can avoid a confrontation, I would always take that route unless you have no choice. If you are forced, do or attempt the following;

1. Place distance and better an obstacle(s) between you and your attacker.

a. Placing an obstacle between you and your attacker will slow them down.

2. If time permits, issue a LOUD challenge “DROP THE KNIFE OR Iâ€LL SHOOT!†This will aid you if witnesses hear this even if they didn’t see what occurred.

3. If you cannot get distance or place obstacle(s) between you and your attacker(s), be prepared to fire and move “off line†simultaneously.

a. Move offline to the opposite direction in which the attacker is holding his weapon i.e.â€if knife is held in the attackers right hand move rearward to your left at an angle (J Hook). Do not back up in a straight line.

4. Mentally prepare yourself to be cut or stabbed. This is a realistic thought in this situation and if you mentally prepare you won’t be shocked if it does occur.

In closing, edged weapons homicides are only second to homicides committed with a handgun within the United States. Edged weapons also can be a screw driver, ice pick, or any other stabbing or cutting instrument made of metal or other hard material. In honesty, you have a much greater change of encountering an attacker with an edged weapon than a firearm and if you do you’re more prepared.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glock23ForMe
And I would much rather defend against a gun at arm's length than I would a knife.

Agreed. Whenever me and some of the guys are out on the range behind his house we do a few drills. One person is standing there, weapon concealed, hands are either held together chest high or by your side to simulate distance needed to cover for the draw. Person shooting stands there, hands occupied by either method from above, and waits. Person behind him gives directions on what to shoot, to work on the point shooting and not for practicing shooting someone in the head, i.e, "One Head, One Chest, One Head" or "Two Head, One Chest." or any other way, normally with two or three rounds going into the paper. Then the person randomly calls out, "Gun!" or "Knife!" and if he calls out "Knife!" its followed by a hand, i.e. "Knife! Right Hand!" and the shooter, places the number of shots in the appropriate place, according to the person calling them out, and strafes to correct side, if they called out "Knife!", then re-holsters and alternates with whoever else wishes to do the drill.

Thanks for posting that. Bad guys can be experts at picking out who to attack and who to leave alone. They will use distraction techniques and ambush. They will bump your car and when you get out of your car another BG will get in and drive your car away. They will create a road block that looks like a wreck and when you stop a BG will be pointing an AK 47 at you.

Don't think they are all stupid or drug crazed though there are a lot of those too. In my town there have been some very sophisticated tactics used by bad guys. You want to learn how bad guys operate? Talk to a cop.................

tried the rule couple of times about 10 years ago. i knew he was coming but my 28 year old son knocked me down twice before i could clear leather.i decided that as slow as i was i would have to use different tactis. i would never be fast enough under those conditions.

tried the rule couple of times about 10 years ago. i knew he was coming but my 28 year old son knocked me down twice before i could clear leather.i decided that as slow as i was i would have to use different tactis. i would never be fast enough under those conditions.

Was this a live fire drill? If so It might have explained his sense of urgency!

Guest Glock23ForMe
Yeah I should have used the "sarcastic" smiley who-ha but didn't see one I thought would fit. Anyway it would have made a good story;)

Yeah... A really good story... :shake:

Guest Bonedaddy

I don't like the idea of moving to the same side that his knife is on. In this scenario, you have to move to and across the business end of his weapon and he may well take one half of your well practiced two handed shooting grip away from you. I prefer to move away from the threat while shooting.

Guest Glock23ForMe

If you move opposite the knife, the elbow can get you, i.e. he can swing the knife across his body by bending his elbow. If you move to the same side as the knife, it takes a lot more energy and time to get the knife across the same distance, even if the perp does turn his body, it's a whole lot slower.

Guest Jamie
If you move opposite the knife, the elbow can get you, i.e. he can swing the knife across his body by bending his elbow. If you move to the same side as the knife, it takes a lot more energy and time to get the knife across the same distance, even if the perp does turn his body, it's a whole lot slower.

However, by stepping far enough to the knife weilder's off-hand side, you shorten his reach and force him to pivot to get to you. And if you do it right, you can cause him/her to trip over their own feet in the process. Managing what little distance you have between you and your attacker is the key item here.

Anyway, there are both advantages and disadvantages to going either way, and you'd better know what they are when you make the choice.

J.

Guest Jamie
True that. . .

Yes, but how many people really know how to do that, or know what they need to be paying attention to in order to do it?

One of the things a person needs to understand about the Tueller drill is that what it demonstrates only applies if you're stationary. If you're able and willing to move, you can increase the amount of time that you have to draw, escape, etc.

If you are, for some reason, forced to stand there like a lump, then you're likely screwed from the start. You're not going to win the fight by reacting to your attacker. You are going to have to make him/her have to react to you.

J.

Guest Boogieman
Yes, but how many people really know how to do that, or know what they need to be paying attention to in order to do it?

One of the things a person needs to understand about the Tueller drill is that what it demonstrates only applies if you're stationary. If you're able and willing to move, you can increase the amount of time that you have to draw, escape, etc.

If you are, for some reason, forced to stand there like a lump, then you're likely screwed from the start. You're not going to win the fight by reacting to your attacker. You are going to have to make him/her have to react to you.

J.

+1