Sig on the brain

226 or 229 in 40 cal .......looks like the same gun just one a little smaller?

anyone have any opinions between the 2 models ?

Im dumping off my M&P40 soon 4 sale......nice gun but I held a SIG and was

amazed withe the fit and finish,now I have to own one (or two) with night sights of course :cool:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Heavy, heavy, heavy guns. Both of them. The 226 was originally done in 9mm and later offered in .40SW. The 229 was originally offered in .40SW and is a slightly shorter (length wise) version of the same. I had a P229 .40SW once and got rid of it in favor of a Glock 23 for lighter carry.

Heavy is not always bad. Plus all handguns are not aways carried.

Sonny you will have to pick if you can hold both.

I do have both but my 226 is a SAS DAK (takes some time to learn how to use and get use to)

The 229 seems to a better shooter. Recoil is low and snap is easy to controll. Yes from being heavy. LOL

carry weight is not an issue I just want the best ! I have 2 smaller guns I can/do carry when I CC........

I will be using the Sig for some carry,but mostly recreational shooting and oogling - im leaning towards the smaller 229,im prolly gonna order next week

but I figured I would poke around a bit on here,some of you guys are actually smart

:cool:

I've had a P226 Elite in the 40 and sold it and bought a Sig SP2022 40cal. I carry it everyday, absolutely love the way it shoots and don't regret selling the 226. Take a look at the SP 2022. My cousin had the 229 and sold his to get the 2022.

I have a couple of 226's (9 & 40) and a couple of 229's (9&40). Although my hands are a bit small once I got used to the 226 it became my main handgun for range and training. It is also what I keep at the bedside.

Whichever you get pick up a 357 sig barrel for extra fun.

Mark

PS, this tapatalk thing works pretty well. Took me a second to realize that it kept logging me off if I went to the main screen but now that I've figured that out I'm good to go.

Edited by Mark A

I was reading in a new gun mag I bought about the P229 E2 and it looks nice. The E2 has a different grip shape and size and also has their short reset trigger. I haven't seen one in store, but it looks like the msrp on sigs site shows it to be a little more costly than the standard P229.

The only Sig I have shot is the one I own which is a SP2022 in 9mm, and it has become my favorite gun to shoot. Also, it's just a little over half the price of most of the other sigs.

Hi,

I have a 20 year old Sig 226 in 9mm. It has been an excellent gun and even saved my life once!

I have also had a Sig 228 with is a shorter and lighter version of the 226 and is somewhat lighter than the 229.

I found with the shorter barrel length of the Sig 228, I had to pay much more attention to the front sight than with the longer barrel of the Sig 226.

With the Sig 226, I could just get it out there and look for the front sight and get good to very good hits. Not as much with the lighter barrel end of the 228. I would believe that should hold true for the Sig 229?

Now that's a lot of numbers and I hope this make sense and helps?

I carry a 226 and a 239. The 226 is heavier then the Glock 22 I used to carry but with the right belt and holster, I hardly notice anymore. I picked the 226 over the 229 for the extra barrel length. Magazine capacity is the same however, I like the plastic magazine floor plates that come with the 229 mags. The mag plates on the 226 are metal and have an edge on them. I've torn holes in several shirts because of them. You can change them out but I haven't done it yet.

The fit and finish is nice on Sigs but the frame is prone to knicks and scratches. If you carry it daily, it will definitely wear and show it.

Guest Coldwater Creek

I have a Sig 226 Navy (9 mm), it is a great gun and has never let me down. It will shoot as well as the above average shooter can handle. That is just my expierence.

Guest nashvegas

I have both... 229 40SW and 226 9mm. They're both great guns, and I use both for carry, but I do seem to carry the 229 more... maybe cause it was the first Sig I got... and it's a 40. I shoot both equally well. If you can handle both before you buy, that'll help. Probably doesn't really matter though, cause you're gonna end up with both of em eventually! I'll never part with either one.

I have both... 229 40SW and 226 9mm. They're both great guns, and I use both for carry, but I do seem to carry the 229 more... maybe cause it was the first Sig I got... and it's a 40. I shoot both equally well. If you can handle both before you buy, that'll help. Probably doesn't really matter though, cause you're gonna end up with both of em eventually! I'll never part with either one.

229 in 40cal is it.....Im just waiting till the end of the month

Guest VolGrad

I went through a serious SIG phase ... it has passed. However, my pref between these two is the 226. The difference is NOT just the slide/barrel length. The grips feel completely different to me. I have small hands but the 226 felt better to me ... significantly better. Hold them both first before you make a decision.

I went through a serious SIG phase ... it has passed. However, my pref between these two is the 226. The difference is NOT just the slide/barrel length. The grips feel completely different to me. I have small hands but the 226 felt better to me ... significantly better. Hold them both first before you make a decision.

I have the 229 2tone SAS picked out......Should not be long now