First cleaning of brand-new Glocks

I have a brand-new Glock 23… arrived in the new box with two shell casings. I learned how to remove (and reassemble) the slide, recoil spring and barrel. I won’t take it apart any further.

Who can tell me what needs to be done in terms of cleaning? (I can follow idiot-proof directions easily enough – I need advice from EXPERIENCED, SAVVY Glock owners who may have a word of advice not covered in printed instructions.)

I do have Hoppe’s 9 Cleaning Kit. I don’t have Breakfree CLP.

I plan to do this basic cleaning on this gun (and my other new Glock, a 27) and then leave any deeper cleaning/adjusting to the experts. (“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.â€)

Thank you.

Mike B

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I have a brand-new Glock 23… arrived in the new box with two shell casings. I learned how to remove (and reassemble) the slide, recoil spring and barrel. I won’t take it apart any further.

Who can tell me what needs to be done in terms of cleaning? (I can follow idiot-proof directions easily enough – I need advice from EXPERIENCED, SAVVY Glock owners who may have a word of advice not covered in printed instructions.)

I plan to do this basic cleaning on this gun (and my other new Glock, a 27) and then leave any deeper cleaning/adjusting to the experts. (“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”)

Thank you.

Mike B

Personally, I clean the inside of the barrel, the chamber, the feed ramp, the guide rails on the slide and frame, and the breach face. I oil the guide rails, feed ramp, exterior of barrel, recoil spring/guide rod, a drop in the firing pin hole, and a drop on the moving parts in the frame. That's just how I do it. As far as advice, I'm not sure if the G27 has a self contained spring/guide rod assembly or not, but on my G30, I have to make sure it's fully seated in it's notch on the bottom of the barrel, otherwise it'll jam up when I put the slide back on the frame.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest Plainsman
Dropping oil into the firing in hole on a Glock is a huge no-no. Glocks do not require much oil at all and I really see no reason to oil the feed ramp, but certainly NEVER the firing pin hole.

+1. Common sense tells you that if your doing this, your just asking for as much gunk build up as possible.

Guest bkelm18
Dropping oil into the firing in hole on a Glock is a huge no-no. Glocks do not require much oil at all and I really see no reason to oil the feed ramp, but certainly NEVER the firing pin hole.

Thanks for the concern. I've always oiled the firing pin and have never had a problem in thousands of rounds. I also disassemble the gun completely and clean after every few range sessions and have never found a buildup of gunk or residue. If you take care of the gun it takes care of you. :)

Thanks for the concern. I've always oiled the firing pin and have never had a problem in thousands of rounds. I also disassemble the gun completely and clean after every few range sessions and have never found a buildup of gunk or residue. If you take care of the gun it takes care of you. :)

Yea but he asked about a basic field strip cleaning. He is not going take apart the slide and clean the firing pin. So dropping oil on it and never cleaning it WILL lead to stoppages eventually.

Guest gw2and4

Never place any lubrication in the firing pin channel. It's not needed, so all it would do is grab and hold gunk that you don't want in there. Will it happen immediately? No. But eventually over time it could become an issue.

Follow the instructions in the manual. Use minimum lube and do not lube the firing pin channel.

I usually patch the bore on a new Glock and put a few rounds thru it to function check the after the range session field strip and clean per manual.

• Administrator

Well you should stop doing it from this point forward. It's not only not a good idea, it's a really bad idea. There is nothing in the firing pin channel that requires lubrication. Dropping oil in there WILL eventually lead to a failure to fire.

Guest SUNTZU

I plan to do this basic cleaning on this gun (and my other new Glock, a 27) and then leave any deeper cleaning/adjusting to the experts. (“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.â€)

Thank you.

Mike B

Here is both a basic and a detailed pictorial on disassembly of Glocks and some other firearms.

Guerrilla Gunsmithing, a revolution for the home hobbyist

Here's another site for you.

Lubrication Points - Glock parts, accessories, and custom Glock refinishing at Rockyourglock Store

1- I printed out your detailed instructions. I will refer to them.

2- You are the second person to remind me about the placement of the recoil spring when the gun is reassembled. Good... thank you. THAT IS WHAT I MEANT when I said that I needed the input of good guys with experience and savvy. Good point, good point!

3- Best of all though, was your signature and your reference to the blank check signed by a serviceman or -woman for an amount up to and including his/her own life. That's good... I am going to quote that. I have a dear friend (an ex paratrooper) who will like that. I won't claim it as my own, either. I will say that I read it on a bbs of Tennessee Gun Owners. He is a Tennessean and he does own several guns, but he is not on this board.

Mike B

isn't that the guy/company that doesn't care much for camera men?
Does it really matter?

I think that was a joke, Mike. I thought it was kinda funny. I assume he was referring to the logo at the beginning.

imag0072s.jpg

Hi. It's me, the guy who asked the question. I did the job on both guns to my satisfaction. I had **three** printed instructions in front of me (screen dumped from the good guys who gave me detailed answers), and you guys made this little job idiot-proof. I **couldn't** screw it up... no way, nohow.

A word about me and oiling: When I was a kid (about ten thousand years ago), I was "into" model trains, especially the very small ones, the "N Scale." I occasionally would lubricate the motors (motors about the size of a pinky nail). I know what it is to apply oil from the POINT of a pin onto a small, small spot and then blot blot blot with a Q-Tip to get rid of excess.

Thanks to everybody. I'll keep looking at this thread. If you have a postscript you'd like to add, post it here or PM me.

Thank you.

Mike B

Hi. It's me, the guy who asked the question. I did the job on both guns to my satisfaction. I had **three** printed instructions in front of me (screen dumped from the good guys who gave me detailed answers), and you guys made this little job idiot-proof. I **couldn't** screw it up... no way, nohow.

A word about me and oiling: When I was a kid (about ten thousand years ago), I was "into" model trains, especially the very small ones, the "N Scale." I occasionally would lubricate the motors (motors about the size of a pinky nail). I know what it is to apply oil from the POINT of a pin onto a small, small spot and then blot blot blot with a Q-Tip to get rid of excess.

Thanks to everybody. I'll keep looking at this thread. If you have a postscript you'd like to add, post it here or PM me.

Thank you.

Mike B

Glad you got everything sorted out.