Flying and Checking Your Gun.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Guest Glock23ForMe

Hey,

I am leaving tomorrow for vacation and thought about taking my G23 with me. I know I cannot carry it anywhere inside the airport or anything, but I was wondering how I would go about checking it as a bag and what I would have to do. BNA's website sucks, and I can never find anything on there. Thanks guys.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broomhead

Put it in a locked hard-sided case inside your luggage, unloaded and with the ammo in a container designed for storing ammo, not just loose in a box or in the magazine. Tell the airline employee at the ticket counter inside that you have an unloaded firearm to declare, they will want you to open the case to inspect it. Re-lock the case and put it back in your baggage. It will then be submitted to TSA for screening. Tell them that you have a declared firearm in the bag, that it is in a locked, hard-sided case, and that you will wait for it to clear screening. You will want to wait to make sure they don't need to inspect anything in that bag. If they do need to look in your bag, they may need to look inside the gun case to clear any alarms. You will have to hand them the key so they can unlock and re-lock it, you can't have access to it at this point. Ask where you can stand to watch and make sure the case gets re-locked. They are not allowed to pick up and handle your gun. If they need to inspect it, they should do so without handling it, they should just nudge it to move it. When they are done screening it, they should re-lock your case, close your baggage, and place it on the conveyor belt to go to the bag room. They will then hand you back your key.

It is also a good idea to put a lock on your luggage as well, just as a precaution.

I work for TSA and, although I have been on Work Comp leave for almost 2 years, that was how it was done when I was there; their policies do not change too drastically.

What if I don't have another checked bag?

Put the pistol in a rifle case or your largest pistol case that can be locked and declare. Check the website of the airline you are flying, the 1-800# will give you their policy. It's no big issue as long as you have the right container and declare it. If you want, while on the phone, have them navigate the website, and print out the policy to show the agent to prevent any confusion.

What they said. Check the airline's web site or call for info. Pack it in a lockable container and declare it when you walk up. Hope you get an inspector that doesn't get excited about such things.

Use zip-ties to lock the case. Put a handful of new zip-ties in a bag in the case. Most agents are courteous enough to re-lock the case with the provided zip-ties. Pad-locks can get caught on the baggage conveyors and tend to get cut off if someone feels the need to inspect it later, particuarly if you're changing planes somewhere.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't believe you can have locks on your luggage. You must have a lock for your hard sided pistol case, don't confuse the two.

Other than the lock on your luggage I believe Broomhead was 100% correct with the procedure for flying with a gun.

You may want to have the pistol in the case with the slide locked back to show a clear chamber. I had a problem with this in AZ a couple years ago flying with a handgun. The slide was not locked back and the TSA guy flipped out, police were called. It was a mess.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't believe you can have locks on your luggage.

That's not correct. You can lock your luggage. If the TSA decides they need to look inside, they'll remove the lock. If your lock is TSA approved, they (and I suspect a lot of other people) have a master key to open it. If not, or if the TSA person just wants to be a jerk or is lazy and doesn't want to go get Master key 002 from the other inspector, they'll cut it off. All TSA approved locks that I have seen have a little red diamond or red torch symbol on them.

That being said, luggage locks don't provide any real security. I just use them to keep the zipper pulls together to keep my stuff from falling out. Zip ties would have the same effect, but the TSA inspector will re-lock the TSA lock. He/she won't re-zip tie it for me. http://download.security.org/tsa_luggage_locks_report.pdf

Edited by monkeylizard
What if I don't have another checked bag?

It might be a PITA but you could travel with no ammo and pick some up when you get there. Then you could ship the ammo you buy to yourself right before your return flight. That way you could declare a gun with NO ammo. Just a thought...

Can't ammo be in the box it was purchased in and inside the same piece of luggage as the firearm?

I had not problem with this when I flew with my piece. Ammo in a WWB and pistol in a hard sided locked case.

That's not correct. You can lock your luggage.

i stand corrected

Guest Glock23ForMe

Thanks for ALL the info guys. Come to find out, the hard case I was going to use is a "no-go" as my uncle tried to use it about a month ago and they said, "You can't use the case." SO, I'm sitting at the Airport Mariott in Nashville waiting on the shuttle to catch my flight... With no firearm.... Ah, the family in NE has enough. :meh:

That's not correct. You can lock your luggage. If the TSA decides they need to look inside, they'll remove the lock. If your lock is TSA approved, they (and I suspect a lot of other people) have a master key to open it. If not, or if the TSA person just wants to be a jerk or is lazy and doesn't want to go get Master key 002 from the other inspector, they'll cut it off. All TSA approved locks that I have seen have a little red diamond or red torch symbol on them.

That being said, luggage locks don't provide any real security. I just use them to keep the zipper pulls together to keep my stuff from falling out. Zip ties would have the same effect, but the TSA inspector will re-lock the TSA lock. He/she won't re-zip tie it for me. http://download.security.org/tsa_luggage_locks_report.pdf

I used to travel fairly regularly for work, sometimes internationally. I always used zip-ties to keep zipper pulls together and occasionally to lock a tool box. I always left more zip-ties in the bag/box. While my bags didn't get searched alot, I'd occasionally find the paper TSA put in my bag stating they'd searched it. TSA always (and even customs in Italy once) put more zip-ties back on ,which I appreciated. I put the zip-ties on not super tight so they're relatively easy to remove. YMMV.

The airlines have different rules. Exactly how the ammo is stored depends on who you're flying with and their policies. One carrier (I think it was US Airways) allowed me to put my loaded magazine in a mag pouch (inside the locked container with the firearm). A different carrier (AirTran, I think) required the ammo to be separate from the magazine, so I had to put it in the original cardboard box I bought the ammo in. Legally, as long as the loaded mag is in a pouch in the case, it's ok. But some carriers won't allow it. Always check with the carrier first.

• 1 month later...
Guest BillOfRightsFan

Originally the TSA ONLY wanted the ammunition in cardboard. They have revised that with the following statement:

You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

Of course, what do they mean by "small amounts"? On the use of loaded magazines they state the following:

You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

That follows along with what KB4NS wrote. Clearly some carriers will be less informed/liberal bastards and make a big deal about it not being super secure.

I have a Pelican case for my rilfe. It is TSA approved for flight. It has a pressure regulator, water tight seal and is crush resistant. It also has a skull and crossed AR-15s on it so I am assured it amuses some and frightens others.

Black powder is right out. Along with cakes of C4, Semtex and some dangerous forms of NRA literature.

All things considered, the battery in your carry on laptop is more dangerous than the ammo you checked.

• 11 months later...

I've looked through several threads relative to checking firearms and ammo and also at the TSA site. TSA says something to the effect that ammo should be in a box specifically designed for small amounts of ammo. I have purchased a car safe with cable for the weapon and magazine. These safes are clearly to small to place a box of ammo in them. My question is can the ammo and the box it's in just be placed loose in the suit case without it being locked up in some type of safe or lock box?

I've looked through several threads relative to checking firearms and ammo and also at the TSA site. TSA says something to the effect that ammo should be in a box specifically designed for small amounts of ammo. I have purchased a car safe with cable for the weapon and magazine. These safes are clearly to small to place a box of ammo in them. My question is can the ammo and the box it's in just be placed loose in the suit case without it being locked up in some type of safe or lock box?

You can also have them loaded in a magazine as long as the top of the magazine is covered. What I do is load all my magazines and place them in a soft case for my binoculars. Don't over-think this one.

Travelers may not use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Guest TackleberryTom

I fly occasionally, more so lately. I always bring my pistol. The ammo does not have to be in the case with your firearm. In fact I rarely keep it there. It is just easier to put the ammo in an original box (obviously designed to hold ammo) and place it in my suitcase. The pistol gets a lock. I leave it unlocked until I get to the counter, show them (never been asked to show them it is unloaded) then close it and lock it, fill out their little "unloaded" paper and zip up the suitcase. Some airlines have me put the paper in the guncase and some tell me to set it on top of the case. Then send it through. Amazingly, traveling with my gun has always been the easiest part.

The one thing that worries me the most is the possibility of having a left over .22 or other bullet in my pockets or in my backpack. I am around bullets all the time at home and always end up with a few on the dresser at night when I empty my pockets. But don't want to get caught going through security with one though.

I received an extra screening of my carry on laptop bag and they told me there was explosive residue on it. I told them that was probably a good possibility, I reload ammo and there is also a firearm in my checked baggage. Nothing further was said and I went to my plane.

I also worry about someone stealing my suitcase. There really are no measures to prevent that.

I have far more trouble with my toolbox (always flying for work) and the tools in it than anything else.

My description to friends of what it is like to fly with your firearm:

TSA ....is there a firearm in your luggage? Me ...yep! TSA...are there any explosives in your luggage? Me...Yep! a box of 50. TSA...Ok, you're good to go.

I fly at least once a week, every week. kb4ns is correct, each airline CAN require more stringent measures than TSA, and as you do not deal with TSA at check-in, the airline is who you deal with. I have found that it saves time to unload the magazine and store the ammo in a plastic 50 count box. Notwithstanding what the older regs state about storing ammo in mags, contained in a cover, not everybody at each airline realizes it. Nashville has a sign at the Southwest desk that basically states ammo must not be in a mag, has to be in an approved container instead. If the mag is empty, and ammo is in a plastic box, I have had no problems anywhere. Good advice to keep the slide locked back for inspection as well.

I use a hard sided case which holds my pistol and a box of ammo, and the magazine empty. That is locked, and the card is filled out, supposed to be place in the carry on bag compartment, outside the locked case, but lots of airlines require it go inside the locked case, no need to argue, it has never been a real issue. I lock the case in my soft sided checked bag. I use my own locks and keys, that has never been a problem either.

Edited by Worriedman