Backyard dinosaur

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not to start a religious argument, I totally respect those that are religious. There is a lot of comfort in religion and the bible.

But how does the age of something like this play on the bible and the time span of creation?

Many people see the earth as only 6000 years old, which the base on this scripture "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.--2 Peter 3:8 ... I don't believe this scripture says that the earth is only a thousand years old. I believe it is illustrating how time is inconsequential to God. God lives outside of time. he is not at all bound by it's constraints. Plus the book of Jonah speaks of dinosaurs. In my opinion at least

Many people see the earth as only 6000 years old, which the base on this scripture "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.--2 Peter 3:8 ... I don't believe this scripture says that the earth is only a thousand years old. I believe it is illustrating how time is inconsequential to God. God lives outside of time. he is not at all bound by it's constraints. Plus the book of Jonah speaks of dinosaurs. In my opinion at least

+1 VERY well said Rob!

This is exactly how I counter the nay-sayers, when they try to use science against religion on this topic. I just say, believe or not, it's up to you, but which of us stands to lose the most if they are wrong?

There are several different theories. However, you do have to take into account that most dating is done via carbon dating which is notoriously errant. Some research shows it is the least credible timing method yet it is what most time lines in the scientific community are based around. They now date with that preset in place so it makes a lot of assumptions now known to be erroneous. For instance you can only carbon date if something is several thousand years old. So to run a test you have to first assume or guess the age of something and then test it to see. If it isn't that old, you are guessing at best. That being said, there is some discussion Biblically about the time frame before what is called creation. Gap theory, Young Earth, ect all have explanations, but no oone is really sure. Job makes mentions of Dinasoaur like creatures as do other references. Most biblical scholars believe dinosaurs dissapered during the flood, which would account for the manyt of the things science can't account for. Oil deposits, mass fossilization, fish on mountains, Grand Canyon, Pangaea breakup, ect are all accounted for in the flood. It would also throw off dating models since massive pressure and soil turn over would account or other mineral deposits that take time and pressure to form. Ironically most of the mineral deposits all date to same time period. After the flood the massive climate change and reorder of nature would have greatly reduce growing season (food source) to sustain such large creatures, micor-evolution in other words.

Long story short no one knows although biblical theories are much more realistic than some of the random happen stance theories of evolution. If you really want more I have several books and sources for different theories (from scientist) that talk about some of the ideas out there.

Guest Jamie
I just say, believe or not, it's up to you, but which of us stands to lose the most if they are wrong?

Technically, if the religious people are wrong, and there is no afterlife, they will lose the most when they die. They will have spent their lives believing something that wasn't true, and will not get the reward they think they're due. ( *No 70 virgins for you, Mr. Mad Bomber! )

The atheist that doesn't believe there is an afterlife, on the other hand, actually has more to gain if they're wrong... though they may not want what they get. :(

It's all just a matter of perspective, and how you look at it. ;)

J.

* This is simply an example of ONE religious belief and nothing more.

Edited by Jamie

Partially. The 6-10k years comes from a genealogy trace back to Adam as laid out in scripture. However, that assumes the time of the worlds creation to have been in conjunction with Adams creation. However, we don't know how long Adam lived in the garden before time began (ie Death entered in), how many people he fathered before the Cain and Abel or Seth, how long the earth stayed " formless and void", or how long each actual "day" of creation lasted.

As is usual with a lot of religion we tend to assume and interpret within our own realm of understanding or beliefs. For instance the ancient Hebrews knew the earth was round and that the sun was central. Scripture says so. However, because in our own understanding and current knowledge assumed it was flat and the sun rotated around us it was a breakthrough in science when we discovered it was our assumptions and lack of knowledge of the unseen that needed adjustments.

keep in mind the bible was not written as a scientific book, but rather a narrative of God's plan and will. Those who try to read it as scientific theory will have problems. Those whoo try to read it as mythology will also have problems. Context means a lot.

Back to the topic of dinosaurs, even though mastodons were mammals, not dinosaurs:

Q: What do you call a blind, prehistoric animal?

A: Diyithinkitsaurus

Edited by enfield

Depending on how metaphorical you believe the old testament to be, there's are a few different ways science and creation can coexist.

An oft overlooked example by strict creationists is that we have no idea how long Adam and Eve lived in the garden before the fall. They had access to the tree of life and did not experience death - they could have lived for literally billions of years before the fall.

And of course the allusion above to time - we have no idea how long the creation story took.

After a minimal search, I found this guy.

Dinosaurs and The Bible, Seminar 3. Kent Hovind

YMMV.

I have watched all of his videos and agree with about 99% of what he says.

Here is another place that may give y'all some answers.

Get Answers - Answers in Genesis

The creation versus evolution debate is what brought me back to Jesus. I was saved at 15 but then turned my back on God and His word. I was the perfect example of a humanist by doing what ever I wanted and what "felt" good. The Bible just couldn't be true in my eyes because of things like dinosaurs. From the time a person can read they are taught that dinosaurs lived "millions of years ago". I no longer buy that. There is plenty of scientific evidence that agrees with what the Bible says. It is up to each person who and what they WANT to believe.

Guest Jamie
It is up to each person who and what they WANT to believe.

"Belief has absolutely no effect on reality. However, it has a profound effect on a person's perception of reality."

Something to think about, no?

J.

"Belief has absolutely no effect on reality. However, it has a profound effect on a person's perception of reality."

Something to think about, no?

J.

You are correct but since no one knows how the earth was formed all we have is belief. Some choose to believe it came about from the big bang, I choose to believe that God made it in 6 days.

You are correct but since no one knows how the earth was formed all we have is belief. Some choose to believe it came about from the big bang, I choose to believe that God made it in 6 days.

Would have been better if he'd left out that talking snake, though.

Women have gotten a bum rap ever since. I just always avoided talking snakes instead.

- OS

Technically, if the religious people are wrong, and there is no afterlife, they will lose the most when they die...

You should hope that we Christians are wrong, b/c there is no comparing a lifetime of what you refer to as "believing something that wasn't true" to the alternative: eternal pain of damnation.

Ya really think The Big Guy will still give you full credit for hedging your bets?

I have no doubt that "The Big Guy" knows I'm not just hedging bets.

You should hope that we Christians are wrong, b/c there is no comparing a lifetime of what you refer to as "believing something that wasn't true" to the alternative: eternal pain of damnation.

I have no doubt that "The Big Guy" knows I'm not just hedging bets.

I meant, and should have said, "hedging one's bets", not meaning to point necessarily at you.

Half the Christians I've ever had in depth conversations with eventually admit to some degree of Pascal's Wager, as separate from doubtless belief.

- OS