Need Recommendation: Good Cushion, Speed loader friendly boot grip for j frame

Guest trumpettgriffin

Guest trumpettgriffin

For concealed carry I use a j frame .357 mag

In terms of grips, I'm presently using wood boot grips (that do not cover the backstrap)

I'm looking to improve my system with better grips for the job.

My current challenge is twofold:

1) These grips don't leave much clearance for my speedloaders

I get them to work but the tolerances are very tight and I do not trust this system in an emergency. I have a Hogue monogrip that leaves optimal room for the speedloaders and covers the strap (and offers great cushion) But

2) I much prefer boot/two-finger grips for easier concealability that DO cover the backstrap

I prefer covering the backstrap because of the added cushion in recoil

Anyone that can suggest the best improvement for me?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trumpettgriffin
Could you lightly sand or reshape the wood grips the clear the speedloaders better?

The S&W 642-2, the PowerPort version, comes with factory 2 finger Hogue grips with the S&W logo on them. You might try a set of those grips.

Good advice, thanks.

The wood interference is along a rather sharp edge - it would take quite a filing down.

I like the looks of those Smith boot grips -- appears they might NOT cover the back strap though:

Smith & Wesson Model 642 In .38 Spl. : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

I'll call S&W to ask - thanks again

IMO I wouldn't worry that much about getting grips to cover the backstrap since it really hurts concealment. Yes it does help with the recoil but as we all know a snub isn't a range gun. You shoot it enough to stay proficient. I use wood grips on mine and over time I've gotten tolerant to the felt recoil, and in an emergency situation it's probably not going to be an issue. For reference the picture below shows the factory boot grips compared to Pachmayr Compac grips that do cover the back strap. My wife used to have them on her 642 but went back to the factory grips since the Pachmayr grips made it hard to conceal.

3080836461_db0eceee1a_m.jpg

Guest trumpettgriffin

Actually it IS my range gun. That's to say I guess but I haven't been convinced of the right "next" gun.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get used to shooting the magnums and looking for the right support.

Crimson Trace makes some compact grips (two finger) that cover the backstrap, I have the 3finger grips and love them on my 340PD. The S&W logo 2finger hogues are good for one shot of 357 Magnum. However, when I fired 5 rapid magnum shots without shifting my grip, I reopened my now usual wound on my right thumb.

With the Crimson Traces installed I am bloodfree, unless my hands become very sweaty... Can't have small, lightweight, and powerful and not give up something. BUT some affordable compact grips that cover the backstrap would be nice for "small-pocket" days...

Guest trumpettgriffin
Ditch the speedloaders and get some Bianchi Speed Strips. Then you can use any grips you please. As they are flat, they also carry well.

Yep, when I carry the .357s (with the cushyier grips) the speed strips are the reload tool. The safari and HKS are just faster -- guess I want it all.

Guest trumpettgriffin

I have a chosen a grip -- it's a no-name from my collection (looks very similar to the combat uncle mikes but a little shorter and thinner. I'll post impressions and pictures after my next range visit.

I have been firing and carrying handguns for over five decades now. Big and little. I personally won't carry a revolver with wood grips. I have dropped several revolvers and two automatics (grips weren't checkered or stippled) because of the slick grips. Sweaty or wet hands need something sticky to grab on. Wood is pretty but I just don't feel safe with it. Yeah, I know there is going to be an 18 year old come on here and tell me I just don't have enough training and experience. Read first sentence again. I carry a 637 or a 642 (pocket) as shown below. I carry a 640 (OWB) in the winter. I normally carry .38 Spcl Standard Pressure in the Airweights and .38 Spcl +P in the 640. Even with the +P rounds the 640 has quite a snap. I use the grips (standard S&W) shown below after many years ,and many drawers full of, different grip tryouts. The reason for two guns is the concealibility factor. The Centennials are for deep pockets and/or belt holster wear. The Chief's special is for short pockets and light clothing. The longer grips came standard on my Model 60 and 640. I just switched them to my 642.

9CCC23F13B884C8E8104546178500659.jpg

Guest trumpettgriffin
I have been firing and carrying handguns for over five decades now. Big and little. I personally won't carry a revolver with wood grips. I have dropped several revolvers and two automatics (grips weren't checkered or stippled) because of the slick grips. Sweaty or wet hands need something sticky to grab on. Wood is pretty but I just don't feel safe with it. Yeah, I know there is going to be an 18 year old come on here and tell me I just don't have enough training and experience. Read first sentence again. I carry a 637 or a 642 (pocket) as shown below. I carry a 640 (OWB) in the winter. I normally carry .38 Spcl Standard Pressure in the Airweights and .38 Spcl +P in the 640.

I like your style and response. One of the reasons I'm intent on figuring out this grip thing is because I want to set it and forget it. Changing up little things constantly isn't my style and I believe it takes away from time to get to really know my gun and become proficient.

thanks for the response