Keltec PMR-30

Defender

Guest 70below

Been watching one on Gunbroker the last couple days.........$600 with 9 days remaining......LOL. I'd like one of these when the price gets fair. I'm hoping that this stimulates the market into producing some .22lr pistols with 30rd mags. Why everything is 10rd, I'll never know.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a clip on youtube today about this gun and the guy from Kel-Tec said the ballistics of the .22mag out of the PMR30 were similar to the ballistics of a .22LR out of a rifle. I realize that the .22mag is a rifle round and you lose quite a bit when shooting it from a pistol, but that comparison stole some thunder on this gun for me. Maybe I have over hyped this gun in my head.

I've seen a few charts and/or test results which suggest that the WMR from a revolver with a barrel of about 6 to 6.5 inches is roughly equivalent to a LR from a rifle. The PMR-30 has a barrel that is a good bit shorter than that at 4.3 inches. It is possible that WMR loses less through the auto PMR-30 than through a revolver due to the lack of a cylinder gap, etc. If so, that is pretty impressive, IMO.

A Kel Tec employee posting over on one of the Kel Tec forums has been saying that there are plans to release an after-market barrel somewhere down the line that will be an inch or two longer.

I think that the PMR 30 would make a nice gun to have with you if just kicking around the woods, camping, etc. if the largest threat you were likely to face was a coyote or a big dog. Having thirty rounds on board and a loaded, spare mag would pretty much cover the need for spare ammo, etc. in such a situation, I would think. That said, I already have a Heritage convertible single action revolver that fills the yard/woods gun role for me just fine as well as a NAA mini chambered in WMR to go with my Marlin 925M. I am a Kel Tec fan (have a P11 and a P3AT) and I really like the .22WMR cartridge but don't really see that I have a need or, really, a desire for a PMR 30. Not at this time, anyway. The thirty round capacity is an interesting feature but, to my mind, if I think I might need thirty rounds of .22WMR to accomplish a particular task then what I really need is to put the WMR away and take along a larger caliber handgun.

Edited by JAB

Bud's got one into today and have it up for auction on their site. It is already at $485. How long does it normally take for new gun to level off? It would probably help if Kel-Tec would ship more and produce more (that goes for all of their guns). I guess that's how the supply and demand game is played though. I'm not paying that much for what will probably just be an expensive plinker in the end.

So far the reports of this gun's accuracy are real good. That said it might make an excellant small game weapon. Even though the ammo is close to the price of 9mm you cannot hunt small game in any state that I know of with a 9mm. I see this gun as much more than an an expensive plinker. I see some squirrels and rabbits in the freezer from the pistol.

Where is everyone getting $600? This thing wil cost $350 or less, I guarantee it.

From Gun Broker. A PMR-30 sold there this weekend for $674.50 If you look at the bid history there were several people bidding at over $600

The gun will sell for $350 when the market gets saturated. Who knows when that might be. Could be a couple months could be 2 years.

A year and a half ago LCP's and P3AT's were selling for upwards of $400 like hotcakes. Now they are both well under $300 with the P3AT available for around $250 regularly.

Cdnn had them listed not long ago for 350 I believe

CDNN had the PMR-30 listed for $299 but they don't have any. Heck I could list the thing for $200 if I wanted to but I don't have any any like them I will not get any real soon.

• 1 month later...

I have a friend who works at my local gun store who has had his for several weeks. This guy is a bona fide gun nut and will destroy a gun to see how long it takes. He has nothing but good things to say about how it functions, fires and accuracy. He said he is nearly through with it and will likely resell it. He says he has no practical need for it and he has had about enough fun with it. His only two negatives were that the rear grip seam needed to be sanded down slightly and that muzzle blast is significant, but understandable given the round in question. de Jeff Quinn, of Gunblast, has also asked for this guy's input, as Mr. Quinn stops in the store from time to time. He said you can have 15 cases in the air at once and can empty an entire mag into a dime.

yep seems like a while since I last heard about / though about this thing, but it still is very attractive, but I wouldn't want to pay more than 300 for it... I want it as a toy, I don't really see a role it will fill for more other than fun.