Appleseed Initiative/Project Questions

Who has done it? What did you think? Was it worth the time? I am not a "rifleman". What type rifle will I need (actions: bolt, lever, pump, semi-auto) and will a .22 or other short range caliber (200 yrds or less) suffice? From the little I read it seems they imply a 20+ round magazine fed semi-auto is preferred, but then they mention what ever you have. Do they teach shooting at moving targets? How big are the class sizes and what is the student teacher ratio?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Usagi
Who has done it? What did you think? Was it worth the time? I am not a "rifleman". What type rifle will I need (actions: bolt, lever, pump, semi-auto) and will a .22 or other short range caliber (200 yrds or less) suffice? From the little I read it seems they imply a 20+ round magazine fed semi-auto is preferred, but then they mention what ever you have. Do they teach shooting at moving targets? How big are the class sizes and what is the student teacher ratio?

I've done it. Twice. I am now an IIT (Instructor In Training). I enjoyed it. Some don't.

Bring a semi-auto box-mag fed rifle - Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 795 are best. Use either tech-sights or scope. MOST Rifleman scores are shot with a scope.

If you don't have the above setup, it would be worth your time and investment.

Bring 600 rounds of ammo. Bring at least 2 extra mags. Bring elbow pads. Bring USGI Sling (hopefully already attached to your rifle)

Almost all shooting is done at 25 meters. All shooting done on static paper targets - simulating man-size targets at 100-200-300-400 yards.

Class size - I've been one of four shooters. I've seen 25+ shooters on the line. Sometimes there's more. They try to have enough instructors to where you get some hands-on help. Bigger groups shoot for 1 instructor for every 6 shooters, or so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Broomhead

I just returned from the Manchester shoot. Out of ~45 attendees, we had a total of 9 Rifleman. We also had 4 accept the Orange Hat to become IITs, including myself. It was a ton of fun, especially on day 2 because I was asked if I wanted to jump into the IIT position. I accepted and really enjoyed the experience. There was an Airman at our shoot who is on the Air Force's Marksmanship Team. He was there to evaluate the program and see if it would be beneficial to his men. I believe that he left feeling the program was beneficial. There was a family of 7 that attended day 1, a father and 6 of his children. They all left feeling grateful of the instruction.

I highly, highly, recommend this course to anyone. Ladies, children, and active-duty military can all attend free of charge. Programs are in place that will soon allow veterans to attend for free as well. Another program in the making would allow payed attendees to one event continue to attend future events free of charge until they achieve a Rifleman's score.

Please remember that Appleseed is not all about Marksmanship. It is also about the history and heritage of us, the American People. You will hear stories and learn about the events that took place on April 15th, 1775. Stories of the lives lost defending their way of life and preserving our freedoms that we hold so dear. Stories that you did not learn in History class.

Appleseed is non-political and is not a militia. We are here to plant a seed. A seed of awakening.