Dear Gunny's Indoor Shooting Range...

Guest Linoge

Guest Linoge

Dear staff, manager(s), and owner(s) of Gunny’s Indoor Shooting Range in Maryville, TN:

I know you all provide the one-and-only indoor rifle-capable shooting range in and around Knoxville, and I appreciate that. However, now that I know better, if you honestly believe that I am going to spend $18 just so I can have a lane in a poorly-lit, pathetically-ventilated, and barely-air-conditioned range, you are sorely mistaken. Sure, those eighteen dollars got me all the shooting I cared to do today, but for $40, I can go get a key from the Norris Police Department that will let me onto their outdoor range for 365 days, whenever I like, and their range stretches all the way out to a full 100 yards, as opposed to your 25.

And, really, it would probably be about as warm and muggy there in the forest as it was in your basement range.

So, thanks for stepping up when it comes to rifle-capable ranges, but I hope and pray that Coal Creek Armory eventually gets around to uparmoring their backstop in the near future – they are a hell of a lot closer than Norris is.

Sincerely,

Someone who might have given you a bit of money if you could just be bothered to provide a decent service.

(There, maybe that damned "Please, oh please post something" warning will go away...)

Edited by Linoge
Prices and all that...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunny's prices have gone up. CCA seems friendlier than in the past, and it is convenient, but when does that fancy new range open up at Frontier Firearms? I've never been to Frontier, but understand they are opening a new range with some very nice target systems...anybody know when it will be up and running? B

Guest mosinon
Gunny's prices have gone up. CCA seems friendlier than in the past, and it is convenient, but when does that fancy new range open up at Frontier Firearms? I've never been to Frontier, but understand they are opening a new range with some very nice target systems...anybody know when it will be up and running? B

I've never been there either but they have been running ads on 99.1 saying it is open now with moving targets and so forth

Guest mosinon
They pay them minimum wage, huge turnover in personnel.

- OS

crap, that means they probably charge you range time per pound. It is like fishing at crosseyed cricket

I was in there Thursday and they said they were looking at another couple weeks. And if you haven't stopped by the new store yet, it looks awsome!

Im gonna sign up with ORSA...that range is awesome and for $125 bucks you really can't go wrong....i already have a membership with Coal Creek and thats a great place to shoot in the unbearably hot weather. Gunny's I liked when they first opened but their prices have really gotten out of hand and their hours are getting less and less convenient so I didn renew my membership. They need a change of ownership cause that place has a lot of potential.

Guest 70below

Can't wait to check out the new Frontier store and range, I just have trouble with the employees endless story telling. ORSA is definitely in my future. When is CCA going to open back up on Sundays? Thats about the only day I get to shoot anymore, and if its rainy it sure would be nice to actually use my membership that I bought right before they started closing on Sundays......lol.

Haven't been to Gunny's since I found Norris. I want to try Frontier when they get it up and running, if the price isn't sky high. If Oh Shoot is correct on the min. wage shouldn't be to bad. Are these targets from south of the border? ;)

Guest nj.piney

farnsworth firearms in vonore has a 25 yard indoor range , i have shot my m1 garand and and m48 yugo mauser there $5 dollars per half hour and one free target . non magnetic ammo only .

I stopped by On-Target in Murfreesboro, TN to try out a new pistol I had gotten in Nashville on the trip. I asked for a lane and bought a couple boxes of ammo. When I got finished I went to pay and the range fee was $20. I asked the guy if he was serious, $20 for 10 minutes? He said I was welcome to shoot all day if I wanted. I told him at those prices I don't have any money left for any more ammo....lol

I'll never go back there again. $10-$15 max is all you should have to pay for range time....anything more is really too much. I usually go to Coal Creek on Tuesday's for ladies night. I bring the Ms.' and I shoot for 1/2 price...plus she get's to shoot for free. That's reasonable to me.

I'm a Norris Member and it is the best range on this side of town. I quit shooting at John Sevier because I was tired of the harassment from the range guys, tired of not being able to shoot at a pace I desired, and the overall experience felt like I was a criminal with police over my shoulder. Norris is great, but getting more crowded. If people don't keep it clean and respect other shooters more it's going to turn out as bad as other places. People keep shooting the backstop posts, stepping out in front of the line while hot, bringing groups of 10+ people there on a Saturday, etc....it's getting annoying.

I wouldn't put it past the Norris PD to shut the thing down anytime they so desired, so I hope people are more careful and curteous before someone gets hurt while doing something stupid. All it's going to take is one idiot getting hurt or hurting someone else and the fun's over for everyone. One of the reasons the rate went up this year is that someone shot tracer rounds and caught the woods on fire behind the 100 yard berm, or so I heard from the LEO's.

Edited by Kenstaroni
I must be missing something that I am really curious about now...
So, anybody, whats this all about? - There, maybe that damned "Please, oh please post something" warning will go away...

I'm rather curious myself...

So, anybody, whats this all about? - There, maybe that damned "Please, oh please post something" warning will go away...

Sounds like there's some new prompt built into the new Vbulletin version that urges you to post if you haven't in some length of time, although this is the first I've heard of it?

- OS

farnsworth firearms in vonore has a 25 yard indoor range , i have shot my m1 garand and and m48 yugo mauser there $5 dollars per half hour and one free target . non magnetic ammo only .

whats the point of shooting a battle rifle at 25 yards?