New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

I also emailed my Representative. Here is her response

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

I am in favor of this bill - I see this as a safety measure for the public. In fact, I am working on filing a bill to eliminate the handgun carry permit.

It will be very difficult to pass this in the House. We were lucky to pass the Castle Doctrine last year. I am not on the committee that will hear this bill but I do believe that I will be writing a guest column about my bill and I will be sure to add this issue to my article.

I know my Republican colleagues will support HB702 - truly, the Democrats are all over the board on gun rights.

Thank you very much for writing. I appreciate learning your opinion.

Most sincerely,

Susan Lynn

State Representative

57th District

215 War Memorial Building

Nashville, Tennessee 37243

Tel - 615-741-7462

I wonder what she is referring to in reference to the bill to eliminate the handgun carry permit? I guess I'll have to email her again.

Dave

Maybe she's trying to make it legal for us to carry guns without all the legal hoops we have to jump through??

That's my take....Just like VT I guess.

....although I still would like something from the state, like AK does, just so I could still carry in other states.

Guest canynracer

did you all see this thing?? what is it all about? once again...Im lost....

HB3014 by CampfieldFirearms and Ammunition - Authorizes full-time faculty and staff at public schools, colleges, and universities in Tennessee to carry handguns if not otherwise prohibited by law. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13. Filed for intro. 1/17/2008

found it here http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/asp/websubjectindex/BillsBySubject.aspx?Primarysubject=1785&Chamber=B

I did see that while looking for the other bill.

Best I could tell it would let full-time faculty and staff at public schools, colleges, and universities in Tennessee carry handguns on school property if they have a HCP while still prohibiting students or the general public from being able to carry.

Guest canynracer

soooo....does that mean this has already gone through the senate, and now the house has it, or was it started in the house?

we need to track these things...LOL...if we (TGO) members emailed the same reps constantly everytime these started...that is potentially 1000 emails a day telling them what to do...

From what is posted on this page.

It has past on 1st consideration in the Senate. So it would still need to be pass a 2nd time, then possibablly refered to and voted on in any committees then past for a final 3rd time to be done in the Senate.

In the House it is only been introduced and not even been brought up for the 1st consideration. If it passes that then it still has to go through the same process as above for the Senate. Although as someone stated in another thread, the committee process in the house is much more tough than the senate.

Guest canynracer

thanks....so all we need to do is pound on the house reps...chances are if the bills get through there, they will become law...the Senate will probably go with the bills out of pure shock alone that they got through the house...LOL

In fact, I am working on filing a bill to eliminate the handgun carry permit.

Susan Lynn

I appreciate her enthusiasm - I think.... That can be taken two ways. But Susan has to get real.

Jason Mumpower is my Rep. He's the minority leader in the House. Lt. Gov Ramsey is my Senator. They are on board with this. We are a dinky county - but powerful. :D

The problem is the Democrat controlled House. That means a House controlled by a gun hater. The solution is to exchange (hold your ears, Len :D) Democrats with Republicans. You folks out in middle and west Tennessee need to run and elect some people with some common sense, I'd add or Democrats with common sense, but they would be expected to vote the party line. Again, let's get real.

Guest canynracer

one reply so far from Rep.Curry Todd:

Joel

I agree with you on the HGC and will do all I can to pass this bill. As a retired Police Officer I understand the needed for the bill as well. Thanks, for your support.

Curry

Guest canynracer
If you can't vote for them, thy don't give a fecal excrement.:D

why cant I vote for them? curry is not my immediate rep, but he replied..., there is always a potential...you never know, I may move around alot...I think its in their interest to at least listen to people....

why cant I vote for them? curry is not my immediate rep, but he replied..., there is always a potential...you never know, I may move around alot...I think its in their interest to at least listen to people....

Uh, you are allowed to vote out of your district?

Guest canynracer

read the rest...I can move by then.(not likely, but possible) I am just thinking that they will at least give a fecal excrement because they never know who is voting for them

I am hoping there is a full vote on the house floor, but not holding my breath due to the House Speaker screwing everyone out of voting on the issue. I think most people in the house, democrats and republicans would vote for it if brought out of committee and and voted on by the full house. Not many politicians want to look anti gun, including Bredesen.

Guest Boomhower

Question here. If all of us are expressing our feelings on these new laws, then how can the speaker decide to not let the floor vote on it and our reps. stand by and let it happen? I don't understand. Looks like a few of them would stand up and say something.

Question here. If all of us are expressing our feelings on these new laws, then how can the speaker decide to not let the floor vote on it and our reps. stand by and let it happen? I don't understand. Looks like a few of them would stand up and say something.

Agreed. How can one dingle berry stop it from ever being voted on and the rest just allow it to happen:confused:

Actually, this is exactly what happened before. A similar bill came to the House floor, but the Speaker ruled that it was out of order. He alone decided it would not be voted on.

[edit]

I was close to being right.

OK, here's what happened in 2005:

Failed In s/c Constitutional Protections of JUD of Judiciary Committee 4/20/2005.

The committee vote went right down party lines. 2 Republicans (Chris Newton and Jerome Cochran) in favor and 3 Democrats (Kim McMillan, Henri Brooks and Janis Sontany) against.

Even with the bill not passing out of committee, the matter could still be brought up by vote of the whole House. If 2/3 of the body (66 members) wants to bring it forward, they could do so. And that is what was tried. The matter had 60 sponsors and they probably had the 66 votes to bring the matter up for vote. But Neifeh ruled that the motion to vote to bring the bill to the floor for a vote was out of order.