New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

The amendmeant has been withdrawn!! Here is an e-mail I got from Sen Jackson.

Hi Steve,

I am opposed to Senator Berke's amendment and he has agreed to withdraw it. The bill will be presented on the senate floor tomorrow and I do believe we have the votes for passage as filed.

Thanks for writing. Let's stay in touch.

Doug Jackson

A similar bill got through the Senate before. The problem is in the House and it's biggest problem sits in the Speaker's chair. I'm still very doubtful of passage in that chamber.

Canynracer, I agree about the baby steps. Lyndon Johnson called it getting half a loaf now and the rest later.

nevermind, I was reading top to bottom LOL...I have mended my ways...im good now...Passed S., Ayes 24, Nays 6

wonder who voted what?

The six that voted no are... Sens Charlotte Burks, D-Monterey; Thelma Harper, D-Nashville; Joe Haynes, D-Goodlettsville; Andy Berke, D-Chattanooga; Rosalind Kurita, D-Clarksville and Beverly Marrero, D-Memphis

Can you provide a link to SB23?

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/asp/WebBillInfo/BillCompanionInfo.aspx?BillNumber=sb0023

SB0023 has already passed the Senate... we need to be getting on the horn with our House Reps, since it has been sent there.

It is bill HB0702 in the house: http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/asp/WebBillInfo/Summary.aspx?BillNumber=HB0702

Thank you for contacting my office concerning Senate Bill 23. I am happy to report that I have added my name to the roster of sponsors for this bill. I also wanted to let you know that yesterday the bill passed in the Senate with 24 “aye†votes and 6 “nay†votes. SB 23 has now been transferred to the House of Representatives for further deliberation.

Once again thank you for your input and please do not hesitate to contact my office if you have any more concerns.

Sincerely,

Sen. Micheal Williams

310 War Memorial Building

Nashville, TN 37243

(615).741.2061

Ok, here is my rant, to preface this rant I would like to say, that I have a degree in Journalism, I do not work in journalism and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but here goes. In regards to this bill and the news reports, why is it that I have seen on tv or read things like this, TN legislatures trying to pass guns in bars bill, Packing Heat and bars, do they mix? And many others. When I was going through school, we were taught that you are to be unbiased, that you are to report all the facts, good and bad and indefferent, notice I didn't use "or" If you couldn't get the other side you said so. It seems that all the "news" reports are negative. You don't hear much about the family guy or girl that wants to protect their family, that are legal to carry, that would like to eat at a place other than the local fast food joint, or the fact that what this law would actually allow is law abiding, permit holders, who went to class, passed a written test, passed a shooting test, went through a background check, got fingerprinted so that it is on file, paid a fee, go to a resturant, have dinner and a coke, not actually drink, and not have to leave their handgun somewhat unsecured in their car. The news then neglects to mention that permit holders follow the law, that is why they are permit holders, they respect the law, they want to be good citizens and they are not going to go into their local Neighbord Applebees and start shooting up the joint. They type of person that does this is a non law abiding citizen that has no respect for the laws, no permit, not intention of getting one, that already carrys in these "gun free zones" called bars anyway.

Maybe we should start writing our newspapers and tv stations as well.

With this type of "news", laws that help us will never get passed because public perception is skewed because of one sided reporting, we all know people believe everything they see on tv anyway.

Anyway, preaching to the choir here, sorry for the long rant.:(

db99wj too bad you don't work in the media.... could use more people with a fair and impartial point of view.

It does seem that most of the articles and news spots I've seen and heard let people think that this bill will allow people to drink while armed, without straight forward saying that. Also the general public just seems to flat our forget or ignore that the thugs don't obey the laws anyway.

Ok...I'll stop before I rant too much...lol

Just got off the phone with my rep, Harry Brooks office. Of course he was not in but the lady took my number and assured me he would return my call. I asked her to express to Rep Brooks my support for passage of HB0702 and that i would very much appreciate his returning my call so I could discuss it further with him.

Here is a Knox area link to see what district you are in if around here

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/house/members/MemMaps/Hknox.htm

If you are in Brooks district, #19, his phone number is (615) 741-6879

I see from reading his profile that he is a member of the NRA, I just hope he is a believer of 2A and RKBA, if not maybe I can convert him when he calls.

Memphis Anti-SB0023 Editorial

The local paper predictably is against SB0023.

If you sign up, you can post comments. All of them that I have seen have been pro-carry thus far..

I hate that site, is it as slow to everyone else as it is on my computer, all other sites are fast and scroll normal, but that one takes sometimes 5 seconds or more just to scroll?

I emailed my Rep today and this is the response I got :D

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX,

I not only will vote for this bill but I also will sign on as a sponsor. As you may know this bill has passed the Senate and now must make it's way through the House. This bill has been killed in the House Jud. Sub-committee the last several years. I expect the democrat leadership to kill this bill again this year but we will do our best to bring it to the floor for a vote.

I am also the sponsor of two other pieces of pro-gun legislation. First is HB132. This bill will allow a person with a HCP to carry in all state WMA's, public hunting areas, and refuges. The second is HB2485. This bill removes HCP info from the Open Records law.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to answer your questions.

Mike

Looks like he has my vote next time around again. :D

Guest Boomhower

I have emailed my house rep. as well, so we'll see if he emails me back. My Senate rep. never sent me a response back to the email that I sent her but she did vote for the bill.......Should one follow up with a phone call to our reps. after we have emailed them?

With this type of "news", laws that help us will never get passed because public perception is skewed because of one sided reporting, we all know people believe everything they see on tv anyway.

It does seem that most of the articles and news spots I've seen and heard let people think that this bill will allow people to drink while armed, without straight forward saying that. Also the general public just seems to flat our forget or ignore that the thugs don't obey the laws anyway.

Unfortunately guys, most of the news viewer's will only see what's on at 6 and 11. Most of them will never make it onto a comment section of a newspaper's on-line article to hear all the pro-gun comments. I don't know what else can be done to reach these people, but I agree that something needs to be done.

This bill has been killed in the House Jud. Sub-committee the last several years. I expect the democrat leadership to kill this bill again this year but we will do our best to bring it to the floor for a vote.

and I just hope that what dralarms rep said, turns out to be wrong.

Guest canynracer

ok, I emailed my rep...and the reps surrounding my city, then I went and emailed all these people...

Lois DeBerry

Speaker Pro Tempore

Larry Turner

Deputy Speaker

House Majority Leaders (D)

• Majority Leader: Gary Odom
  • Assistant Majority Leader: John Litz
  • Majority Floor Leader: Dennis Ferguson
  • Majority Caucus Chairman: Randy Rinks
  • Majority Caucus Vice Chairman: Joseph Armstrong
  • Majority Caucus Secretary: Larry Turner
  • Majority Caucus Treasurer: Sherry Jones
  • Majority Whip: Mark Maddox

House Minority Leaders ®

• Minority Leader: Jason Mumpower
  • Minority Assistant Leader: Harry Brooks
  • Minority Caucus Chairman: Glen Casada
  • Minority Caucus Vice-Chairman: Jimmy Eldridge
  • Minority Floor Leader: Brian Kelsey
  • Minority Caucus Secretary: Chris Crider
  • Minority Caucus Treasurer: Joey Hensley
  • Minority Whip: Beth Harwell

cause they seem important...LOL....lets see if that does anything....