Mike 2 - Chipmonks 0

Mike.357

We have been having a little problem with chipmunks in the house here lately. I say chipmunks (plural) because I now know it was more than one.

I got one Saturday in the garage, shot him about five times with the bb gun. He took me by suprise and it was my best chance to get him out of the house.

Well not 30 minutes ago I heard the little vermin running in the space between the upstairs floor and downstairs ceiling. I am sitting down here at the 'puter and I see the dang thing run across the ledge that is just below the rafters ( unfinished part of basement) and into a storage closet.

I was better prepared this time than a bb gun. I had the Savage .22 bolt rifle loaded with CCI shotshells. I bided my time and sure enough he made a return trip. Bold little devil he was he did not continue back the way he came but ran across the bar that supports the blinds on the basement sliding doors. Well that is the last time he will do that.

I pretty much got up to him point blank and gave it to him in the face with a load of shotshell. He went right to the floor, good night Alvin!

The only collateral damage is a little blast mark about two inches aross on that rod supporting the blinds. It was a fine example of marksmenship if I say so myself. Have not heard the scurry of little feet any more. Man I hope it was only two of them.

I bought a small varmint trap and have it baited in the garage. I also have some glue traps in strategic places along with the normal load of five mouse traps that are in waiting daily for the woods mice that stumble in from time to time. But I think the firearm was the first line of defense and I am loaded up and waiting for another one!

Stupid chipmunk pretty much displayed himself in the one place I couuld safely take a shot with minimal damage.

Woohoo for me!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dotsun

Damn, a home invasion can happen to anyone. I'd keep the 12 gauge close by for the next wave, or maybe see if you can borrow a claymore from Mars. :cool:

3-0 now. Got one today. The wife was home and using he PC in the basement. She heard a noise and investigated. There was a chipmunk stuck to one of the glue traps I had placed in spots where I believed they were travelling.

So do you think she she could take care of it? No, I had to drive an hour round trip to dispatch the varmint to meet his maker.

Anyway that is one more out of the way. I hope they are done but I have my doubts.

• 1 month later...

Found evidence this morning of another covert rodent operation in the basement.

I was sitting here on the computer and I would hear a noise every once in a while. I have heard them noises before. Sounded suspiciously like a chipmunk. Having his way in my garage. :shake:

I put down two cage traps baited with peanut butter on a piece of bread, used the pb to work like an adhesive on the plate in the trap. About 15 minutes later I heard one of the traps spring. Sure enough a chipmunk is inside.

Well I just got through with taking care of the little fellow. Needless to say is he will not be coming back tonight.

the traps work pretty well, yesterday me and the grandson caught a squirrel in one. Put it in the yard with the same pb and bread hors d'oeuvre, bang about an hour later we had one. Of course he meant no harm so we just let the dog chase him up a tree. :D

SO, will you be stewin up a fine pot of stew? frying them up, roasten them? Your probably going to need more than three to feed us all though. Invite me to the cookout and I can bring along a really nice groundhog souffle.

SO, will you be stewin up a fine pot of stew? frying them up, roasten them? Your probably going to need more than three to feed us all though. Invite me to the cookout and I can bring along a really nice groundhog souffle.

I'd say fry'em up, make some gravy from the drippin's, a bowl of scalded lettuce & onions, some green beans & taters, and a fresh pan of catheads. Now that's some vittles!

As for the groundhog, nothin' fancy, par boil, season, roll it in flour and bake.

• 9 months later...

And so it continues.

Every year we get varmints in the winter time. Part of the price one pays to live in the woods I guess.

We have been hearing the scurry of little feet up in the attic in the evening. No way to get up there really. To me it sounded like they were in the eave of the house. Using the eave as a pathway they are. I tried to dismantle some of the siding that makes up the eave. Not really anyway to do that, at least not that I can figure.

So i got the bright idea of cutting three slits into the eave siding so as to make a little doorway. Where it is still attached acts like a hinge. And unless you look for it, the slits are not obvious so it does not make the house look torn up or nothing. I made two of the "doors". Inside the doors laying flat on the eave I put a glue trap. I attached them with some duct tape so a critter could not be half stuck and run off with it.

Well it works like a charm. First night I got one fairly large mouse. I did this all last weekend BTW. Monday night I went to bed and heard the rodent olympics begin.

Checked the traps the next night and sure enough. Mr. Chipmonk was there. He was not doing very well. Seems they are cannabals. The bugger was dead and had been eaten on. Got rid of him and put another glue trap back out. All quiet until last night when the rat race started up. Sure enough as fast as I heard one run across the eave the noise stopped. Right where the right side trap was. Checked this morning and another chipmonk was there. But this bastard was still alive. EEEEWWWWW I hate these things. I grabbed the edge of the trap with a long handled pair of plyers and pulled him out. YUCK. Skeeves me out! He was force fed a .22LR shotshell.

So now for the season the tally is, 2 chipmonks and 2 mice. Got one mouse on a regular trap in the basement.

i know there must be more still in the attic. too much noise for just the one last night. Got another glue trap in place on each side of the eave.

I have searched high and low around the house and can't figure out how they are getting in. Its driving me nuts.

Sooner or later the herd of rodents will get caught.

Nothing like some big game hunting!

So yesterday I had to go out and buy some more glue traps. No way was I venturing over anywhere near WalMart either in Halls or on Millertown Rd. I had been using ones called Catchmaster Baited Traps. They are a rubbery type glue compound on a plastic frame. They work good and are easy to handle. I went to the local shopping center yesterday afternoon, there is a CVS and a IGA grocery store. It is close to the house. I was hopeful I could find this same type trap. No luck at CVS at all. And IGA did not have Catchmaster but they had another type called Last Step. Last Step at a glance did not look as good as the other. It is a glue strip on a piece of cardstock. About 5 inches by 10 inches. But they have the added advantage of peanut butter scent. LOL They realy do smell like peanutbutter.

I had to devise something to attach the trap too so if I caught something I could get it back out of the eave. I used a old "beware of dog sign" that has been in the garage since we moved in. I cut it down to be slightly narrower and longer than the glue strip. Held it down with some folded over duct tape. It is a pretty solid set-up.

I stuck it up in the eave and attached it to the siding same as with the other trap type.

So I hear no noise at all last night. I figure they are in mourning over their lost friends, siblings or parents. Screw them I have no sympathy for rodents. I really don't think they have any for each other either seeing as the one had been partially cannabalized.

I checked the right side trap this morning not really expecting anything. But lo and behold there was a ball of fur there. I pulled at the trap to remove it and the squawking began. EEEEH. Did I mention I hate these things and they skeeve me out? So I manned up and yanked the trap out. Sure enough another chipmonk. This one was about half the size of the others. So maybe I am thinning out the herd a little. The other were full adult size, about as big as a play station controller, maybe a little bigger. The little one was stuck like all heck to the trap. It is correctly called Last Step. As soon as he stepped on it he was stuck. He looked hungry so I fed him a .22 LR shotshell for breakfast. It did not sit well with him as he died.

BTW the left side trap was empty.

Re-did the trap set up with a fresh glue strip and put it back into place for another try.

so that makes the tally 3 chipmonks, 2 mice.