Leo carry at schools?

Just curious about this haven't seen any issues and simply curious. According to my reading of TCA code LEO can carry at schools if on official business. My question is what about off duty carry say at your son's or daughters ball game on Friday night at the school for example? Does HR218 impact this in anyway? Once again just curious?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought a LEO was always on duty.

Maybe not "on the clock", but "on duty".

Then again, I do see your point in the statute, that they seem to make the distinction of "when in the discharge of their official duties", so maybe legislature really did intend to limit their carry at other times.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest 270win

Local/state police/some prison guards can carry at schools in TN when off duty. They are supposed to notify an administrator type person when doing so. Now how that works, I have no idea. It sounds very impractical, but that is the wording in the state law. Fed police can carry wherever they want. I do not know how the HR218 plays in for local/state police carrying off duty on school property if that removes the notification requirement. I think the notification part is silly.

Here is the TN Code on LEO carry and schools.

39-17-1350©(1) says an officer not in the actual discharge of his official duties can not carry on "school grounds or inside a school building during regular school hours unless the officer immediately informs the principal that the officer will be present on school grounds or inside the school building and in possession of a firearm. If the principal is unavailable, the notice may be given to an appropriate administrative staff person in the principal's office"

IMO the part about "regular school hours" would mean that he would not have to notify the principal during a Friday night football game etc.... and that carry would be perfectly legal.

Also some may want to see TN AG Opinion 09-30 about LEO carry on campuses controlled by the Tennessee Board of Regents

Guest mcgyver210
Here is the TN Code on LEO carry and schools.

39-17-1350©(1) says an officer not in the actual discharge of his official duties can not carry on "school grounds or inside a school building during regular school hours unless the officer immediately informs the principal that the officer will be present on school grounds or inside the school building and in possession of a firearm. If the principal is unavailable, the notice may be given to an appropriate administrative staff person in the principal's office"

IMO the part about "regular school hours" would mean that he would not have to notify the principal during a Friday night football game etc.... and that carry would be perfectly legal.

Also some may want to see TN AG Opinion 09-30 about LEO carry on campuses controlled by the Tennessee Board of Regents

Actually if you think about this in most cases it seems that if it is a Planned School Function this could easily be defined as Regular School Hrs. Just shows everyone can look at it from a different prospective.

Actually if you think about this in most cases it seems that if it is a Planned School Function this could easily be defined as Regular School Hrs. Just shows everyone can look at it from a different prospective.

Well to me they way it is worded about notifying the principal or someone in the principals office implies those times where you would find someone in the office, which is not likely at 7:00pm Friday night. As to me at least that is not "regular" school hours. If the legislature had wanted to include school activities, they could have used that language as well.

But I agree others could see it different I guess.