Best AR platform?

Sandman

I have decided to slowly build the AR of my dreams. I currently have a 5.56/.223. My question is other than the 5.56, what's the best variant platform and why? I have read that I can use my lowers (and even my magazines) for some of the variants...is that correct? Be on the lookout, I may be selling random items here and there. Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule is that you have to get one of each :D. Don't fight it.

Seriously, I built my AR to shoot. Since it guzzles ammo, I didn't really consider anything but 5.56 on the first build, simply because of ammo cost. Several guys on here have ventured into other calibers.

Guest drv2fst

+1 for one of each.

I have 5 AR's all 5.56. I like the cost, availability and accuracy of the ammo.

Sure ??? may be better but I can afford 2 or 3x as much training/practice/trigger time with 5.56.

I don't know if this is technically what you're looking for, but I've always liked the idea of a 9mm AR. We had a conversion kit on one of our rental guns at the range when I worked there and it always ran well, you could shoot it at most ranges, and it was cheap and fun to shoot.

Other than that I'd probably say 6.8 would be something to look at.

Guest drv2fst

.458 and 6.8mm are $1/per bullet or more on Gunbroker. Are you guys finding these bullets somewhere else that makes them affordable to shoot?

"The best" is a relative term. It really depends on what you want to do with the rifle. After a lot of research I decided with the help of a buddy to build an AR in the 6.5 Grendel caliber. What I was looking for, I felt like it was the best for me. The round is accurate, flat shooting, has low recoil and able to take several types of game. It packs more of a punch than the 5.56 which is also why I liked it. I mainly built it for deer/varmint hunting. The main negatives are both scarcity and cost of ammo. The true test if the rifle is going to be "the best" for me will be during deer season this year. Below is a link you may find helpful on the Grendel as well. Good luck.

Sabre Defence & Alexander Arms New M-4 Style 6.5mm Grendel AR Rifles

I have several AR's but the two I really like are my Ruger SR556 and I just got an SR556 in 6.8 SPC. Heading to the range tomorrow to shoot the SPC. Pics to follow.

I just really like the piston sytem and even though it is a little heavy up front, it really helps keep the rifle on target.

Ask Rightwinger about the .458 SOCUM tub thumper. Runs on a plain ole AR15 lower. I'm sure there are a bunch of guys running 6.8 SPC.

Ask away. Mike pretty much laid out the basics. What's not to like about shooting half inch diameter projectiles from 300 to 600 grains out of a standard looking AR. Just get the upper from RRA or order a custom from the developer of the round, Marty Ter Weeme, pin it on your current lower and start shooting! This round did finally get me into reloading, they are expensive to buy from the providers, but once you have a supply of brass, you can load the standard 300 grain JHP hunting bullets for about a buck a round. Once you pull the trigger on one, you'll find that's a great price for what you receive down range! I also want a 6.5 Grendel in my stable some day, thanks to Uker Duker for giving me that bug. Had a 6.8 but didn't see enough difference in effect down range from the 5.56 to make it a keeper. That's just me though, others really love them.

All the other things you can do with variants in the AR15 and AR10 classes is amazing, find something you like and run with it.

The AR10 opens you up to a bunch of the short action stuff, not that the .308 doesn't pretty much cover it. I'll probably wind up with one of the .458 SOCOM rifles. I've had a 45/70 lever gun on my list for awhile. Having that kinda smack in the AR platform is way better.