Glock vs Sprinfield head to head.

Will Carry

I took my two Glocks (G19 & G36) and two Springfields (XD-45 & XDm-40) to the range today to see which pistol was more accurate. Here is what I found.

1) Glock 36 45acp with crimson trace laser guard: I'm beginning to dislike this pistol. The laser makes it very accurate and the 45acp makes it a man stopper but it started failing to eject. It would fail to throw out the spent shell casing (4 times). I also have a blood blister on my pinky because the original magazine is a pinky pincher. Very annoying. The CT laser guard will fit on my G19 so this Glock 36 will be the next pistol I sell.

2) Glock 19 9mm 4 gen: This gun shot well, not failures and good accuracy. I like it. It's small enough to conceal carry and has 15 round magazines. It's nothing fancy but it's a Glock.

3) Springfield XD-45 45acp: My favorite pistol. It has never failed. It's very accurate. It has 13 round magazines with a hard hitting 45acp cartridge. The recoil is tame enough that it's my daughter's favorite range gun. The trigger action is far superior to either of my Glocks.

4) Springfield XDM-40 .40 S&W: We have a winner! I may have shot the tightest group at 10 yards that I have ever shot. The trigger action is better than the Glocks, but not as good as the XD-45. The recoil is tame and it shoots 16 rounds of the awesome .40 S&W cartridge.

This pistol does everything well. It may be a little large for concealed carry but could be carried in cooler weather. I plan on carrying it as soon as it cools off.

I like the G19, with the CT laser guard I can shoot in the dark. It will be my bedside gun

The Springfield XDm 40, should help me beat that cocky x-air force MP dork. who thinks he so good

The G36 will get one more chance to be my CC pistol.

The XD-45 will remain a woods gun for when I hike in bear country or gator country

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found pretty much the same things you have between the two brands. I do like the size of the 19, but the XD's trigger is better and can be improved quite a bit with some minor work. That being said I hate the grip angle of Glocks and the bore axis of the XD's is too high for me to shoot well so I have neither anymore.

Guest VolGrad

Small nit-picky point but the statement "to see which pistol was more accurate" prob needs a qualifier " .... in my hands.".

Again, not picking at you ... just qualifying your statement so a noob won't come along and see it as empirical evidence that X is better than Y.

The XDM is a 4.5" barrel. Vol you're correct and you're not being nit picky. I am not a good shoot with a pistol. My vision has gotten bad, up close, as I have aged. If I wear my reading glasses I can see the sights but I can't see the target. Without my reading glasses I see the target 20/20 but the sights are blurry. I've only been shooting pistols for a couple of years and even though I enjoy it, I don't think I'll ever be a great shot. So you must take my review with a grain of salt.

I really want a Sig. It's on my list. Maybe I'll trade the Glock 36 and get a Sig or an H&K. The best pistol I own is a Colt 1911 but I left it at home today.

Smith, You are right about the bore axis on Springfield's X pistols. What do you shoot?

Edited by Will Carry
I found pretty much the same things you have between the two brands. I do like the size of the 19, but the XD's trigger is better and can be improved quite a bit with some minor work. That being said I hate the grip angle of Glocks and the bore axis of the XD's is too high for me to shoot well so I have neither anymore.

This is why I have S&W's. M&P 40c, SD40, SD9. They feel like a natural extension of my body.

Springfield is my pick but I would not kick the Glock out of bed either. I carried the Glock for almost 7 years so I can say I have a little experience with it. I now carry an XD. The grip angle as mentioned above fits me much better.

Now not to start a war but me and a buddy had a friendly shoot out with our compacts.........his the Glock and mine the XD. We shot each gun with different ammo and the XD had the edge on paper. Now this is only a comparsion of those.

We also ran my XDM 9 against his 17 and the XDM smoked it.........now I know the XDM should shoot better because of the match barrel but just thought I would share my stories.

You can not go wrong with either of them.......I have just been leaning to the XD's lately.

so this Glock 36 will be the next pistol I sell.

Great post, I like my XD-45 as well, it has always been a great pistol and like you had said it is tame enough to be my wife's favorite, that was atleast until she shot the Beretta 92FS that I got for my Dad. I'll be keeping an eye out for the Glock 36, I think that is the pistol I want to get for my wife's side of the bed. Hopefully I'll still be in country or state for that matter when or if you post it.

I agree completely... and even though I no longer own any XDs, any one of the 6 I have owned would shoot rings around either of the Glocks I own now, accuracy wise and build quality-wise.

These kinds of threads make me ask myself why I got rid of them in favor of Glocks... I think the deciding factor was holster selection and size, when it came down to it.

I need to buy another XD.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

I've been a big Glock fan for the last ten years or so, but I recently purchased a XDM9 and I'm really impressed so far. I put about 200 rounds through it today. Very accurate and no malfunctions of any kind. I'm not getting of my Glocks, but I like the XDM.

Guest chaplain tom

Guys this thread is probably the most honost discussion of comparison of Glock VS. XD I've seen in a long time. I own both brands of guns Glock 19 and XD 45 Service model 4" barrel. I love both guns and anybody choosing either gun will not have made a bad choice. These two makes of gun in any model/caliber are so closely matched that it's almost impossible to say that one is better than the other. I do like my XD better than my Glock, but I ain't sellin' my Glock. I'm not comparing calibers here. I'm only comparing the guns. I like the 9mm for just plinking because of the cost factor, but it does make a good defense load too. I would prefer to defend myself with the .45 though.

Having said that, I feel that my XD points and shoots better than my Glock. I like the grip angle better on the XD and it's like (for me anyway) that it's like pointing my finger at the target when I just pull it up and shoot. Loaded with the same ammo, the BG is in BIG trouble with either gun pointing at him. I've had the Glock longer that the XD and I've had a few FTF's with the Glock shooting hollowpoint ammo. I've never had one with the XD. As for accuracy, they are virtually identical once you get the feel for which ever gun you're shooting at the time. The only problem I have really with Glocks is "Glock Owners". Most of them think it's the ONLY gun made and refuse to even consider there could be another gun that could match their beloved Glocks. That is of course those who ONLY own Glocks.

Since I like many of you own several different brands of guns, I have been able to give an "honost" testimony regarding both makes. My conclusion, buy which ever one fits you best. But look elsewhere, I ain't givin' up either of my semi-autos for any price. But I might consider buying a Sig or maybe an original Colt 1911...I'm just sayin'

Edited by chaplain tom
Guys this thread is probably the most honost discussion of comparison of Glock VS. XD I've seen in a long time.

My thoughts exactly. I was expecting a battlezone when I clicked on the topic. I just sold my 3" XD to get my Sig P239 fund started.