Pawn shop rant

gregintenn

I stopped in a fairly new pawn shop in Westmoreland today. I looked the place over, and while they had a nice display area, it was pretty much filled with junk. I spotted an odd looking rifle on the rack. I asked to see the rifle that resembled a Krag Jorgensen. The guy proudly handed the butchered rifle to me and declared it to be a genuine 30-40. He even showed me a round of ammo that fit it. I looked the rifle over. It had been sporterized with a fairly utilitarian, ameteurishly checkered stock, and a Williams peep sight added. I thought if it were cheap enough, it might make a decent truck rifle. That's when I flipped the tag over. The price was $2999.95.:eek:I first thought $299.95...a little high, but not too bad. When I finally realized I'd missed a decimal place, I returned the rifle to the guy, turned around and left; never to return. What's wrong with people!!??!?? I think he'd watched too much "Pawn Stars".

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Gander Mountain in Bowling Green last weekend. They had an older Marlin lever 22 with a busted stock, almost no finish remaining, and designs made in the stock with nails driven into it. I believe the tag on it was $1299. What in the world is going on lately?

Gander Mountain is a terrible place to buy a gun...lol I saw some poor schmuck in there gawking over a Ruger LCR. They had it on sale for $449.00 and they were all excited about it. I was playing with a Remington 870 until I saw the price that was $100 more than what I saw at the gun show for it. I really don't buy much there because they are high on a lot of stuff.

The best place is Academy Sports....why we don't have one in Knoxville I have no idea.

Gander Mountain is a terrible place to buy a gun...lol I saw some poor schmuck in there gawking over a Ruger LCR. They had it on sale for $449.00 and they were all excited about it. I was playing with a Remington 870 until I saw the price that was $100 more than what I saw at the gun show for it. I really don't buy much there because they are high on a lot of stuff.

The best place is Academy Sports....why we don't have one in Knoxville I have no idea.

Dick's is just as bad too. I'm amazed that anyone would buy a gun at either store. This weekend I stopped at Dick's(the one on Peter's rd. Across from Hairy Lane :D There was some idiot buying a .22 rifle. He had no idea what kind of .22 he wanted. I suggested a 10/22 and he said he wanted something cheaper :(

Edited by Erik88
You are correct about Academy. I stopped at the one in Chattanooga not long ago. Much nicer than Gander. Wanna open a franchise in K-town?

I used to go to the one in Brentwood, TN and the one in Greenville, SC when I traveled for work. I stopped by the one in Chattanooga a couple days after it opened as I happended to be driving through there. I picked up a new gun safe on a great deal because they had mis-marked the safe I wanted and had put the price of the lower model on it instead. I didn't realize it until I got home and took it out of the box. I called them and said that the safe I got was not the one I had asked for. They found the pricing mistake and honored what I paid on the better safe. It was a difference of almost $200.

They even offered to drive the replacement safe up to me in Knoxville on a Saturday no less!!! I appreciated their kindness so much that I saved them the trip and took it back down that evening since they were open until 10pm. I really doubt someone from Gander mountain, Dicks, or Bass Pro is going to drive 3 hours round trip to deliver a product that someone accidently got instead of the one they wanted, let alone one that they didn't pay the right amount for, and a freakin gun safe of all things.

I couldn't be more pleased with Academy. If they came to K-town I would never go to Bass Pro again..lol

Dick's is just as bad too. I'm amazed that anyone would buy a gun at either store. This weekend I stopped at Dick's(the one on Peter's rd. Across from Hairy Lane :) There was some idiot buying a .22 rifle. He had no idea what kind of .22 he wanted. I suggested a 10/22 and he said he wanted something cheaper ;)

I told him he was a fool for buying a gun there because he was paying $100 more than anywhere else. Oh well, his money.

I think some people who aren't into guns really are more comfortable buying something from a big retailer. The gun stores scare them I think. They feel like they are getting a good deal because they are buying from a big store, however when it comes to guns it is quite the opposite.

I told him he was a fool for buying a gun there because he was paying $100 more than anywhere else.

That's a great way to reinforce to those who don't know any better that we gun owners really are a bunch of rednecks. We should be better than that.

I know if someone (especially a twenty-something) I'd never met gave me unsolicited advice AND called me a fool on top of it, I would tell him to go perform an impossible act on himself.

That's a great way to reinforce to those who don't know any better that we gun owners really are a bunch of rednecks. We should be better than that.

I know if someone (especially a twenty-something) I'd never met gave me unsolicited advice AND called me a fool on top of it, I would tell him to go perform an impossible act on himself.

DaddyO, what's with the age thing? I had spent several minutes explaining the different .22's and then telling him he would save a lot of money if he went elsewhere. I did not directly say you are a fool, but after he stared at me blankly I could tell it was like talking to a wall so I just walked away.

Maybe us "20 something's" shouldn't try to help people??

DaddyO, what's with the age thing? I had spent several minutes explaining the different .22's and then telling him he would save a lot of money if he went elsewhere. I did not directly say you are a fool, but after he stared at me blankly I could tell it was like talking to a wall so I just walked away.

Maybe us "20 something's" shouldn't try to help people??

Then why did you state in your original post that you did call him a fool? Did you or didn't you? Big difference in helping people and pointing out to them that they are a fool because they don't make the same decisions we do.

Don't take this personally, but the vast majority of twenty somethings I have encountered who think they know something generally don't. You and others here may be the exceptions. I have a 20 something living in my house. He doesn't know squat, but he thinks he is a walking encyclopedia.

And yes, age makes a huge difference. Don't forget that all us middle agers were twenty somethings once and thought we knew it all.

Edited by DaddyO
Then why did you state in your original post that you did call him a fool? Did you or didn't you? Big difference in helping people and pointing out to them that they are a fool because they don't make the same decisions we do.

The vast majority of twenty somethings I have encountered who think they know something generally don't. You and others here may be the exceptions. I have a 20 something living in my house. He doesn't know squat, but he thinks he is a walking encyclopedia.

And yes, age makes a huge difference. Don't forget that all us middle agers were twenty somethings once and thought we knew it all.

No I didn't directly call him a fool.more or less implied. I should have been more clear.

I don't claim to know everything. Very far from it.

And he even asked me about a. 22 that I wasn't familiar with and I told him that.

Edited by Erik88
i wouldnt say its the opposite on gun stores always being cheaper. i went to shooters depot and got my SA GI and then went to Sportsmans Warehouse to look for a Galco holster they had the same gun for almost 100 cheaper.

There is 1 example. However gun stores are almost always cheaper. By a lot!!

It's time to weigh in as an official member of the "Old Fart Club" DaddyO. Age is not necessarily a good thing. I am VERY close to your age. I hope I never get so old, closed minded, and obnoxious, as to not appreciate a fellow shooters opinion regardless of their age. I don't have to take their advice, but I love hearing the logic behind it. It may be sound, or it may be something I can correct, or offer a different point of view on. Youth does not always equal wrong!

Guest bubruins

I'd say that Mosin Nagants are one such item found at a pawn shop. I'm am yet to find a 91/30 MN in a pawn shop for less than $180 OR with a matching bolt/receiver. Even though this is only a $50 or so difference from what they would sell for at most reasonable places, just think about how many poor guys get suckered into buying a "Russian sniper rifle" at that price and condition.

This is one of the reasons that I no longer actively look for guns in pawn shops.

I'd say that Mosin Nagants are one such item found at a pawn shop. I'm am yet to find a 91/30 MN in a pawn shop for less than $180 OR with a matching bolt/receiver. Even though this is only a $50 or so difference from what they would sell for at most reasonable places, just think about how many poor guys get suckered into buying a "Russian sniper rifle" at that price and condition.

This is one of the reasons that I no longer actively look for guns in pawn shops.

To change the subject a bit; where can a person find a deal on a Mosin. I'd like to have a carbine.

To change the subject a bit; where can a person find a deal on a Mosin. I'd like to have a carbine.

The M44 carbines have become a bit less common. They're still out there, but not in the same numbers as the 91/30.

If you want a 91/30, I saw some at D&T Arms in Rivergate on Saturday, and I believe G&L usually has a few. Those are probably the closest places to find one.